Help with those little LC annoyances (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I’m still loving my new-to-me ’99 Land Cruiser. In my 2-3 weeks of ownership I’ve addressed some deferred maintenance, replaced a broken tail light, ordered a replacement for the broken rear spoiler/deflector, ordered a replacement for the broken antenna, etc., etc.
There are still some annoying little items that I could use help with (please excuse my newbie ignorance if these have already been discussed into the ground):

1. The little plastic hook that holds the driver mat in place is not secured. It looks like there is a little plastic grommet that is supposed to hold it in place. I looked for the part number but failed to find it. Anyone know it or know of another fix (that doesn’t involve a staple gun)?

2. The plastic lid for the cup holder in the center console is completely detached. I have the piece but none of the screws (?) that hold it to the metal hinge are present. Any idea if this does indeed attach with screws and what kind? I looks like they screw in from underneath, which seems impossible to do without removing the entire console. Say it isn’t so.

3. Anyone ever replace the nets that serve as the front seat back pockets? Mine are coming apart quite alarmingly. I looked for a separate part number for these and didn’t see one. In fact, I can’t even tell if they are detachable.

4. The owner’s manual indicates that the 3rd row seats have covers that you can place over the anchor points when the seats are folded away. Mine are missing. Are these even available separately? I looked for the part number but failed to find it. Anyone know it?

5. The front bumper has two holes that look like they should accept a license plate. However, they are an inch or two too far apart for a standard US plate. Is a bracket or something else required to mount a front plate? I looked on the parts sites and didn’t see one.

Sorry to bit all over the place with these, but this is the collection of little things that are bugging me! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I was hoping there was a more elegant solution but your suggestion might be the way to go.

Yeah, I was hoping there was a more elegant solution but your suggestion might be the way to go.

Go to the auto parts store and buy a license plate mounting bracket and clear cover or something that has multiple mounting options. Then you mount the bracket to the bumper and the plate to the bracket. Hope this makes sense.

The floor mat hooks are cheap. Ebay has them super cheap. Search land cruiser 100 or 99 and sort cheapest items first. They are normally close to the top and super cheap. I ordered one and never used it since I have husky liners throughout. If you really can't find one I'll put mine in the mail for you if you need it.

3 - by "coming apart", do you mean they are actually ripping or just being stretched? If they are just stretched out, see Gunney's build thread for a fix. He pulled the seatbacks apart and pulled them tight/re-knotted the rope. Turned out very good.

5 - As opposed to drilling the plate, the dealership I bought my rig from elected to drill the damn bumper instead. :rolleyes: I'm with trunk. Drill the plate. Much easier and less permanent.

2- You have to remove the console to access all those fun cup holder things. It's stupid easy.

1 - Yeah, the little plastic floor mat holder clicks into a grommet. The one on my 80 was ripped out, so I was in your boat.

4 - There are 3-4 different little covers for the 3rd row attachment points. I found them all on toyodiy, so a dealer should be able to look them up easy. Look on the bottom of the 2nd and 3rd row seats for them, that's where they're stored, doesn't look obvious.

4- Plastic covers for third row are 12 bucks a piece at the dealer.

Thanks all. Lots of good advice here and elsewhere on the forum.

On the front lic. plate, I ended up removing the little metal tabs that provide the threads for the screws that mount the plate. Then I notches out the plastic area from whence i'd just removed the metal tabs. When I'd taken out enough material for the spacing to be right, I reinstalled the tabs and mounted the plate. I would have taken pics but it all happened so fast! At the end of the day, I didn't want to drill the plate - it is a thick metal college plate that gets made fun of enough without looking like I subjected it to half-bakes engineering!

Screw the front license plate - big waste of taxpayers' dollars - civil disobedience!

1 - Yeah, the little plastic floor mat holder clicks into a grommet. The one on my 80 was ripped out, so I was in your boat.

4 - There are 3-4 different little covers for the 3rd row attachment points. I found them all on toyodiy, so a dealer should be able to look them up easy. Look on the bottom of the 2nd and 3rd row seats for them, that's where they're stored, doesn't look obvious.

Wow, didn't know they made the little covers. Even though they were attached under my seats. Cool. Thx.

Fuzz, you're with trunk to drill the plate, but wouldnt do it on yours? lol

Didn't have to on the STOCK bumper, which is what he has, and the ARB came with a bracket. Easier to use the bracket then dig out my drill. Piss off. :flipoff2:

I'll bump this thread for more information on #2 above...

The clip holding the cup holder to the lid of the center console has broken... so every time I open the top section of the center console, the cup holder falls open.... VERY annoying. I was able to remove the lid no problem (4 screws), but I can't see any way to remove the cup holder in its entirety in a non-destructive fashion, nor do I see any way to replace the button and clip mechanism. I don't use it, so removing it is fine.

Right now it looks like my only options are to: 1) carefully cut the cup holder out of the lid with a dremel tool (destructive), 2) permanently glue or tape the cup holder in place (tacky), or 3) replace the entire center console cover ($$$).

Is there a non-destructive way to remove the cup holder or an inexpensive way to fix or replace it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom