3/8 vs 5/16 Fuel Hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishNinJay

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok.. total 1-:banana: question here..

I have an Aux tank that has a fitting for a 5/16 hose, but I've now replaced everything with 3/8 hose. I have an inline fuel filter near the aux tank with a 3/8 fitting. I'd like to just use 3/8 hose, but I'm worried it might be too loose over the 5/16 fitting, even with the hose clamp?

Yes??? Would 3/8 hose stay tight and not leak with the hose clamp?

Or.. should I just use a short piece of 5/16 off the aux tank and force it onto the 3/8 fitting of the inline fuel filter?

:bang:

Any auto parts store should have a selection of hose barbs. Get a 5/16 and 3/8 barb, one with female pipe thread and the other with male. Use the right size hose; this will adapt the two. FWIW, I've learned not to use cheap fuel line hose. The stuff i get at the local NAPA is pretty good.

Any auto parts store should have a selection of hose barbs. Get a 5/16 and 3/8 barb, one with female pipe thread and the other with male. Use the right size hose; this will adapt the two. FWIW, I've learned not to use cheap fuel line hose. The stuff i get at the local NAPA is pretty good.

Ok.. that sounds like a reasonable solution. Why female? I would think a 5/16-to-3/8 male-to-male adapter would allow me to splice?

I Google Image searched this:
$(KGrHqV,!g0E2eSqt+S8BNuMvgmJh!~~0_1.JPG

BTW, in case any wondering the obvious.. the outlet fitting is either super tight or actually welded into this aux tank. Since the aux tank is aluminum, I'm afraid to wrench on it too hard and possibly bust it!
923516415_BtmkP-M.jpg

THANKS!!! :beer:

You should just be able to replace the brass barb on the 90 deg fitting in your pic with a 3/8"...

You should just be able to replace the brass barb on the 90 deg fitting in your pic with a 3/8"...

I'm not so sure.. I gave it a few cranks and it wouldn't budge. I'm afraid to try too much harder and strip it, or wreck this aluminum tank. I'd rather just leave it as 5/16 and just upsize it to 3/8 with a universal inline glass filter.

Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom