my weekend so far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
Well trying to get something done I decided to juggle two projects. One fun and one not so much.
clutch (Large).jpg

Split open my black fan clutch. Replace the fluids with 10,000cst and re-assembled.

Drove to my parents today in ashland and the same hill getting to their home that caused my truck to overheat did it again :mad: so fail. Have another black fan clutch coming UPS, hopefully it show in time this week.

The more fun part

pic1 : Had to make a remote, started with a hopkin trailer setup
pic2 : Old ac adapter shell modded to fit my 3way momentary rocker switch
pic3 : Installed a m8000 winch
IMAG0324 (Large).jpg
IMAG0328 (Large).jpg
warn.jpg

Split open my black fan clutch. Replace the fluids with 10,000cst and re-assembled.

Drove to my parents today in ashland and the same hill getting to their home that caused my truck to overheat did it again :mad: so fail. Have another black fan clutch coming UPS, hopefully it show in time this week.

I've rebuilt several clutches using the 10.000 cst with no fails. Have you looked at the radiator to see if it is plugged? If it isn't flowing good, it won't cool good :bang::bang:

I've rebuilt several clutches using the 10.000 cst with no fails. Have you looked at the radiator to see if it is plugged? If it isn't flowing good, it won't cool good :bang::bang:

Ya not sure. Still seems not up to par on the clutch.

Radiator is next on the list to thoroughly check out.

Did you remove all the old silicone oil from the clutch? i turned it over, opened, on a cookie sheet in the oven @200* for about 15 minutes. That stuff was nasty looking.:banana:

I think in the US it is like 7,000 CST stock.

Did you remove all the old silicone oil from the clutch? i turned it over, opened, on a cookie sheet in the oven @200* for about 15 minutes. That stuff was nasty looking.:banana:

I think in the US it is like 7,000 CST stock.

Yep, did the oven cook, drained overnight. It came out a funky orange color. Re-filled and let sit again over night to be sure it was full. When i refilled it was crystal clear. Perhaps the fluid I used wasn't up to par? The dealer could get any until tuesday, so I used the hobby stores ONFA diff 10k diff silicone fluid.

After doing my fan clutch, etc. I ended up needing a radiator. Replaced it last summer, and it's stayed cool ever since.

Yep, did the oven cook, drained overnight. It came out a funky orange color. Re-filled and let sit again over night to be sure it was full. When i refilled it was crystal clear. Perhaps the fluid I used wasn't up to par? The dealer could get any until tuesday, so I used the hobby stores ONFA diff 10k diff silicone fluid.
I used the hobby store stuff at a far less cost than the stealership silicone.
If'n the core is scaled, it may appear to work and will heat up under load due to the restrictions formed by said scale. You could take it and have it flow tested. radiators aren't that spensive.

After doing my fan clutch, etc. I ended up needing a radiator. Replaced it last summer, and it's stayed cool ever since.
Same here. I went to the v6 radiator for my 85. Keeps it cool no matter what.

I used the hobby store stuff at a far less cost than the stealership silicone.
If'n the core is scaled, it may appear to work and will heat up under load due to the restrictions formed by said scale. You could take it and have it flow tested. radiators aren't that spensive.

Same here. I went to the v6 radiator for my 85. Keeps it cool no matter what.

Scaled :hmm: Why yes, yes it was. On the flat smooth center part there was tiny little cracks. Wiped down and they remained. Wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Should have guessed that is was not.

FWIW the only time it does this is after getting to running temp and going up hill slowly. Other than that around town and and even freeway inclines (siskiyou summit, the couple passes headed to cave juntion, etc) it seems fine.

Ty, when it was warmed up (and idling) did you try to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper? My recollection is that when cold you should be able to stop the fan with a newspaper but when it's warmed up you shouldn't be able to. ??:meh:

Ty, when it was warmed up (and idling) did you try to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper? My recollection is that when cold you should be able to stop the fan with a newspaper but when it's warmed up you shouldn't be able to. ??:meh:

Yep, clutch still weak.

Too bad I don't have my 4runner with me. I have a spare good fan clutch in my trail repair box. Would be an easy diagnosis.

No worries and thank you. I have another fan clutch coming and loaner I can do a little more troubleshooting with.

:beer:

don't feel too bad about your ongoing 'project'. I've been 'projecting' brakes for a couple of weekends. Sat installed the park brake shoes and today I'm swapping out the alternator. Fun times. Sooo looking forward to Fri nite(travel day).
:cool:

Picked up Kief's loaner fan clutch. Can really tell a difference between the drag in it and the one I have been messing with. So hopefully this will settle my issue. I wouldn't mind if it was the radiator other than I don't have the time or really the money (stupid winch) before the pre-run.

Good luck on yours Russ! :cheers:

Park brakes Saturday and alternator Monday. I don't mind mods or tinkering but outright wrenching with a dead line is no fun. Especially when it's sunny.
Things looking good at this point. Clean out the truck and pack and off we go.:cheers:
:cool:
DSC00115.jpg
DSC00125.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom