Skinny tires..3"OME full height w/17" FJ stellies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I could search and search but I like real time.

I'm ordering parts and need to know the right(not the biggest) tire size to run on FJC 17" steelies with an Old Man Emu 3" Full height lift.

I do know that I may need 1.5" spacers as well, although I might remove the flares.

I prefer as narrow as possible for the tires

Any pics of this set-up would help.

This will eventually be turning into a build thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
I love my tall/skinny tires (37x12.5R17)! If you are going to run big tires on those rims, I would only run 1" spacers. No need to remove the flares to clear tires.

attachment.php

But if you want to have center caps you need at least 1.5" spacers. That's what worked for me to clear the hubs.
I do like you sequoia rims!! Nice!

Edit- Actually 1.5" for the rears and I think 1.25" might work for the front since those hubs are shorter.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just picked up the same rims as tools and went out and bought spacers 1.25 and the caps don't fit!!! :censor: Oh well, got a square deal from a fellow mudder. I'm just going to have to get used to not having caps...

So X's 2 on the 1.5 spacers

:meh: I haven't had caps for years on my lx450. It's a truck, not a bentley.

I don't think a 1250 is recommended on a fj steelie. the only tire size I can think of is 255/85 r? but I don't think that would look good on a 3 inch lift. I say ditch the steelies if you are talking about the black ones and run a 35 inch tire.

I've got the same tires as Tools, love the size. I don't know if center caps are an issue with steel wheels. I have Tacoma alloy wheels, 1.25" spacers, front caps fit fine, I believe the rears would also fit if I removed the plastic fins that don't seem to be doing anything, but I only have 3 caps so I didn't bother trying.

I really don't think fitting center caps should determine which spacers you use. Proper fittment of the tire in the well should probably come first, and with the 37-12.50-17 there's not much room for error. Also, fitment at ride height means very little, the axle moves side to side on a lifted truck at compression. My axle actually sits off-center at rest, but the tires rub both frame rails equally when stuffed. :hillbilly:

Stock rims have 4.5 BS so if youre gonna be a man and run 37's Id recommend a 4" BS'd rim. Personally Id skip the fj alloys and get a set of steelies so there would be no need for spacers at all. I run 37x12.5x17 KM2's on 8" wide rockcrawlers. Pics in my "93 80 Beater" thread.

D

But aren't the steelie a narrow rim? the alloys are 7.5 inches wide with a 4.75 inch backspace. I run those with 35 1250s and a 2 inch ironman lift. The alloys look really good.

But aren't the steelies a narrow rim? the alloys are 7.5 inches wide with a 4.75 inch backspace. I run those with 35 1250s and a 2 inch ironman lift. The alloys look really good.

I believe that there are various sizes of steelies. However, I'm ruining the early Tundra/Sequoia 17" alloys, 35X12.50 KM'2s with no lift at all with no issues... Frankly, my car seem to run all around better than when I had the 285's. I can do 65mph with ease up Kanan Dune Rd. This is a tight canyon from Malibu PCH to the 101 FWY so I know I was going faster.

Anyway if the OP does a 2"1/2 - 3" lift and tall skinnies he'll have no problem at all!

0618110950.jpg

The stock alloy rims are 16x8 with a 4.5 BS. You can get steel rims in just about any size/BS.

D

Thanks for the posts!! All very nice.

I'm looking for pics of FJC 17" black steelies with a 3" Full height OME lift on an 80.

I believe that there are various sizes of steelies. However, I'm ruining the early Tundra/Sequoia 17" alloys, 35X12.50 KM'2s with no lift at all with no issues... Frankly, my car seem to run all around better than when I had the 285's. I can do 65mph with ease up Kanan Dune Rd. This is a tight canyon from Malibu PCH to the 101 FWY so I know I was going faster.

Anyway if the OP does a 2"1/2 - 3" lift and tall skinnies he'll have no problem at all!

Dave,

Glad to see those wheels and tires mounted. The truck looks really good.

And so I'm not hijacking, here's FZJConvert's wheels on my truck with 1 1/4" spacers and 5" of lift.

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

Last edited:
Since when are 12.50 tires considered skinny? 11.00x16's, now those are skinny. The first pic are 38" tall Michelin XL's and the second are 36" tall 9.00x16 STA Superlugs.
Flexing Pics 011.jpg
Tires 2.jpg

Since when are 12.50 tires considered skinny? 11.00x16's, now those are skinny. The first pic are 38" tall Michelin XL's and the second are 36" tall 9.00x16 STA Superlugs.

What lift do you have so you canrun those 38" XL'S??

Thanks
Stu

Since when are 12.50 tires considered skinny? ...

I have always heard it's about the aspect ratio. A 33x12.5 would not be tall or skinny, a 33x10.5 would be short and kinda skinny. A 37" tire that is 12.5" wide is skinny for it's height, 14" would be considered normal for that height. IIRC, my tires for a 16" rim are 325/80R16, so 80 aspect, on my rims they measure ~12" wide, with a ~10" tread width, so skinny tires for their height.:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom