LC For Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:p

Kassabian Motors...

They are a joke. Being that they are more or less local to where I work in the Bay Area, I have seen their ads for various cars since I was in High School, geez, which was 20+ years now. wow I'm old.

At any rate, they usually had the typical 60s/70s muscle cars all horribly overpriced with various 'rare' equipment on said vehicles.

Like they have been doing for over 1/2 my life, they are once again making me laugh.

Jon

All that work and they left the 3spd in it, not to mention a horrible offroad carb (unless they tweaked it).

And that folks is why the 40 market is so screwed up, way, way overpriced and there are people stupid enough to pay it.:eek:

Jack

lets see no lockers.. 3spd cheep steel wheels, and who knows what other sins.. For 22k... Wonder what profits would charge to build a real cruiser from the ones on craigs list for 3-4k...

All that work and they left the 3spd in it, not to mention a horrible offroad carb (unless they tweaked it).

And that folks is why the 40 market is so screwed up, way, way overpriced and there are people stupid enough to pay it.:eek:

Jack
In the pictures it looked like it was a floor shift, IIRC all Toyota three speeds were column shift.
So who knows what trans it really has in it?

In the pictures it looked like it was a floor shift, IIRC all Toyota three speeds were column shift.
So who knows what trans it really has in it?

I thought the last few years were floor shifted 3spds. Could be wrong.

Still crap no matter how it's shifted. :D

I have no doubt that it would cost that much or more to restore one to what appears to be pretty nice condition, doesn't mean someone is going to give you that kind of money for your effort.

I have a buddy with over $50k in his factory big block 1968 Camaro (pretty much has spared no expense), and he will be lucky to get $30k if he decides to sell it. He has done all the hard work, A/C, PS, Power disc brakes all around immaculate body/paint, brand new interior, OD auto, etc. At least his would be fast and comfortable to drive...

Jack

I understand why folks dislike 3 speeds, but they are not trash, they just aren't good for highway or crawling. They are exceedingly fine for normal driving. I have several hundred thousand miles on one and I took it out not because of any fault, I just wanted a lower gear. And that's behind a V8 with 31's. They aren't indestructible, but they are inexpensive and you can lift one into place w/o a jack (no tcase attached). They are so simple there is little to fail, no syncros, no harsh gear cut, just a small 3spd tranny.

Taking the steering column linkage off and converting to floor shift is very simple and that's what proly 90% of 3 spds remaining are. People that like the column shift are VERY rare and do not 4 wheel often IMO.

Kassabians are just marketing to their audience, not us. I would value that truck about half.

@locrwln1 I'll defer to your superior knowledge of all things 4WD on that.

My first FJ40,actually my first car, was a three speed. Like Paul said it was fine around town or cruising dirt roads, it really wasn't even to bad on the highway. I drove it from Las Vegas to Oregon a couple of times and made many trips to Utah in it.

Sorry guys,

Didn't mean to infer that there was anything inherently wrong with 3spds, just too few gears to very good at anything other than as you pointed out, driving about and even that got tiring, especially considering the narrow powerband of those era trucks in anything resembling hills. Driven plenty of them.

Jack