2B air bleeder bolt of fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The air bleeder bolt on my 79 2B wont tighten all the way down, allowing it to weep fuel from behind the bolt. It will tighten down to a point and then strip out. I looked on the $OR site and they list it new as discontinued and used NLA. They do list it them for the 82-87 B/3B used. Would this be the same..or even if i had to buy the hollow bolt as well..would it fit? Any alternatives? I have the spin on type filter.

The air bleeder bolt on my 79 2B wont tighten all the way down, allowing it to weep fuel from behind the bolt. It will tighten down to a point and then strip out. I looked on the $OR site and they list it new as discontinued and used NLA. They do list it them for the 82-87 B/3B used. Would this be the same..or even if i had to buy the hollow bolt as well..would it fit? Any alternatives? I have the spin on type filter.

If it is like this and the thread is stripped, you could perhaps drill & tap to a larger thread size and then use a copper washer under the bolt-head for sealing:

FuelBleedScrew.jpg

:beer:

PS. I believe the original uses an O-ring under the bolt-head for sealing purposes. But to use this method on your new larger bolt you'd need to be able to cut a new seat in the banjo bolt ... which may be difficult if you don't have access to a lathe.
FuelBleedScrew.jpg

On my later 3B engines the bleeder bolt is the same as a brake bleeder. Are you sure your problem is with the bolt and not the threads where it screws in?

FatD,

Your engine will have all of the accessories of the B engine. Did you look for the B engine part number instead of the 2B and see if that is available? I wish I could be more help, but I don't know if the 3B one will work. Post up a picture of your part and I can compare...

bleeder bolt

attachment.php
attachment.php
So, after trying different washer/gasket combos, the threads are stripped on the bleeder bolt. I see that some cruisers have the bleeder on top of the fuel filter..i wonder if the hollow banjo bolt would fit on mine,thus using the air bleeder valve. I did a Search for the parts on toyodiy and came up with this...plug air vent..23351-46010..ring for air vent..23353-46010..and screw fuel pipe-hollow 23319-46010. i searched under my vin#, but without a diagram its hard to distinguish if this is the right parts. Than i did a part number search and came up empty. Maybe last resort is the brake bleeder valve?? or re-tap threads..like lostmarbles said, i would need access to a lathe. Any ideas??
Picture 042.jpg
Picture 043.jpg
Picture 044.jpg

Pics are bad..sorry. it didnt look like this when i loaded it up on the page.

I agree with your part numbers Fatdiesel.

If it was me and the latter type fittings are available (while the early type aren't)... I'd take the gamble the latter type of banjo bolt is interchangeable:

Part numbers for latter type (I believe) are:
23319-48010 SCREW, FUEL PIPE HOLLOW
47547-12030 PLUG. AIR VENT (with no washer required)

(The EPC is a bit confusing ... so I'm only about 80% confident I've got them right.)

hmmmm..i see the air bleeder plug is available..47547-12030..which pulls up as a brake caliper bleeder valve as well size m10x1.0x35mm, but the hollow banjo bolt is not available 23319-48010....for the later years. Ill try to obtain the later bleeder valve and see if it will mate to my older hollow banjo bolt...then go from there..off to the Toyota dealer tomorrow! Thanks lostmarbles and to all who have helped!!!!!!!

..... Ill try to obtain the later bleeder valve and see if it will mate to my older hollow banjo bolt..!!!!!

No don't do that! I'm 100% certain those two are incompatible.

If you can't get both those items together - then don't get any!

Sorry for this negative outcome...

PS. I think buying "a banjo-bolt complete with matching bleeder" SECONDHAND is now your best option (if you're lacking in tools or not mechanically-minded enough to drill and retap etc).
And watch the cleanliness of your work because the injector pump and injectors downstream of this point are highly sensitive to any dirt/debris being left behind!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom