Propane tanks- what other options are out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
I have a standard small BBQ propane tank that I use plus a whole slew of the smaller Coleman tanks. I am looking for other options out there. I saw something on Partner Steel's site:
images%5Ctank.gif

This looked interesting. There was also one in Overland Journal that I saw that I really liked because it was designed more like a CO2 tank so it was tall and skinny instead of short and fat. What other options are out there?

Also interested in safety as well and as another thread pointed out, making sure the handle doesnt accidentlly get knocked off and do serious damage.

The one you posted the picture of is cool. Since it's carbon fiber, you can see the level of the propane, rather than having to trust a meter (based on pressure) or picking it up and going by the weight.

Also, while a carbon fiber tank might explode, it won't throw shrapnel like a steel tank would. So worse case scenario they're much safer there.

I also like that they have a built in handle that protects the valve. Most of them are designed to be stackable as well, handy if you have more than one.

Ash on the site here has a post from a month back on a see through tank.
I bought the same one, it is in my camping gear review thread in this same section.

Buy one, you will like seeing how much fuel you have left.

why?

urge for newest/latest, or some other valid reason (slipped a disk and lifting the old-school tanks is outta the question?)

just wondering...

It's the form factor I don't like. It doesn't fit nicely anywhere because the size is so awkward.

why?

urge for newest/latest, or some other valid reason (slipped a disk and lifting the old-school tanks is outta the question?)

just wondering...
See post number two, all of of what he said.
I have had a lot of tanks over the past thirty years, and lifting this one is so much easier as I get older :D

And I hate running out of fuel, this takes the guess work out of knowing how much you have left.
Sure they are more money, but it is an investment.

My 20 lb one at home I use for the barbecue ran out a few weeks back right in the middle of cooking dinner.
Had I known if was so low I would have got it filled that day.
Luckily I had a backup bottle.

"knowing" how much propane is still in the bottle is less of a concern for me because there is a very very simple way to check the level. After using the tank - for almost always the grill - I boil a little bit of water and pour the boiling-hot water on the tank while it it being used; the "sweat line" will indicate how much propane you have in the tank.

"knowing" how much propane is still in the bottle is less of a concern for me because there is a very very simple way to check the level. After using the tank - for almost always the grill - I boil a little bit of water and pour the boiling-hot water on the tank while it it being used; the "sweat line" will indicate how much propane you have in the tank.

Propane Level Gauge

That works too, seen the same one at Lowes. Still like the idea of actually seeing the fluid though. :meh:

(No need to have boiling water handy either.)

That's the one I got... bought two and have them saddle up on my trailer...
Camped out on CO for a month and had to re-fuel only once.
They are great !!!:clap::clap::clap:

why?

just wondering...

I was in need of two small tanks as the 20lbs were too wide to saddle up on the trailer..
I can also fit one tank with to Jerry fuel cans on my rear basket..

I bought mine for $25 more than the steel ones.. the aluminum ones are crazy expensive...

Reading up on this product I found out they wont explode if they catch on fire and or if puncture....
The additional benefit of seen how much fuel I got left it cool too.

I think some else mentioned they could be used at air tanks once their life span goes south...(not sure tho')

Anyone ever come across a small camping sized propane tank that is sideways? As in...the valve is midway down the length? Think miniature version of a large tank someone would have outside of a business or house.

I've always wanted to try to mount a propane tank under my 80 where the spare tire used to live...having my small 10lb propane tank is nice, but there is never a good, solid, secure place to put it in the truck when I go camping.

However I've read you don't want to take the upright tanks and use them on their side because of the liquid propane getting through the valve.

Just curious.

They do make propane tanks designed for horizontal mounting. Many forklifts, etc have tank mounts like this and require a tank designed to pull gas from when it's horizontal. All the ones I've seen still have the valve assembly at one end, not in the middle.

Of course, these tend to be larger tanks, because who wants to run to get gas anymore often than necessary. Finding a 10 lb cylinder set-up like this may be difficult.

Sure. It wouldn't have to be 10lb...just small enough to fit under the rear of the 80. I should have thought of those forklifts...maybe I can find one of those tanks. Good idea.

My 55 has a propane tank under the rear end in the same location...it came from Australia and was converted to run on either gas or propane. That is basically what I'm looking for to put under my 80...just for camp cooking though.

Last edited:
Look at RV places or if you know of an RV being parted out... I know lots of them run propane tanks under the body ... and they should be small enough to fit under yer 80..

If yah got a swing out you could also build a small rack to haul your propane tanks on it.....
I just build one for my swing out....

^^^ same here. Like it.
LC and propane mount.jpg

They do make propane tanks designed for horizontal mounting. Many forklifts, etc have tank mounts like this and require a tank designed to pull gas from when it's horizontal. All the ones I've seen still have the valve assembly at one end, not in the middle.

Of course, these tend to be larger tanks, because who wants to run to get gas anymore often than necessary. Finding a 10 lb cylinder set-up like this may be difficult.

Worthington has them down to 10# tanks in their AL line. 10.3" diameter. Worthington Cylinders - Propane Aluminum Portable Cylinders Click on the PDF file http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/Libraries/pdfs/Alum_Portables.sflb.ashx I remembered seeing they had horizontal ones available in all but their smallest 6# one.

For RV ones: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/rv-propane-horizontal.htm 10" diameter for the two smaller ones. 12" for the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom