Question on the correct Front Wheel Stud Diameter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Assembling the font axle for my fj45 project truck. Its parts and pieces from many different toyotas so this question might be difficult to answer but giving it a shot. I need to know the diameter of the front wheel studs (smooth area) just above the threads. (see pic)

I'm assembling the front rotors to the wheel hubs. These are the later land cruiser 60/62 or mini-truck type. rotors have 8 holes. two smaller holes for bolts. six larger holes for wheel studs. (see pic for type of rotor) wheel studs go through the rotor and are pressed into the wheel hubs from the back side of the rotor/hub.

I'm concerned the studs I have may be too big in daimeter. On the stud, I'm measuring 0.554" in diameter to the smooth area just past the threads and .570 diameter at the knurl. The knurl may be ok in diameter but the smooth area is not going to go easily through the wheel hub. BTW, rotor hole diameter for studs seem fine. No problem there.

I'm measureing .535 on the hole size in the wheel hub. I'm concerned that pressing a stud of .554 through that size hole will result in something bad.

These are aftermarket (Dorman) studs. Number cast on actual stud is 264. Full Part number I believe is 6102641. Alternate parts listed as "Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 610264, 9094202044, 9094202053, 98484, 984841"
Info listed as "Serrated Stud; Thread; M12-1.5; Knurl Dia.: 14.46mm; Length: 52.5mm; Shoulder Length: 25mm".

Anyone used these studs?

Anyone have measurements from an OEM stud?

Are there any differences between Land Crusier 60/62 or mini truck front wheel studs?
stud_2.jpg
rotor.jpg

Mike,

FWIW, you're not alone in your concern or experience.
I got similar measurements with used studs of unknown origin.
There also appears to be a variation in the wheel hub bolt-hole ID:
the same stud can be a tighter fit in opposing holes.

After a week of trials, I gave up and bought the new studs from Toyota:

90942-02053.

The dimensions for the new part are:
smooth shank dia = .537"
knurled dia = .559 (14.19mm)
overall length = 52mm
shoulder length = 25mm

wheel hub bolt-hole ID on the smooth wall = .525-.533"

So......still a tight fit. With this I have decided to have a machine shop press these in, rather than risk whacking them with a BFH. As I don't have a new wheel hub to measure, I guess either the manufacturing tolerances of the studs and the hubs are greater than I feel they should be, or the original installation and removal of the original studs has altered the factory dimensions.

So I pay someone else to install them, and later someday to remove them--not what I wanted to do.

The shorter wheel studs for the drums seem to be an easy fit until the knurls meet.
Puzzling why these studs for discs are not the same.

Maybe an expert will chime in.

Hey, Bud,

I defer to your wisdom and experience--and my lack of both.

Thanks again for all your help with the projects !

MS

are you sure you guys are'nt related?

hmmmm:

both friends of mine
same name
multiple cruisers ( even the same type )

sounds like both you guys need to finally make it to the 45 run this year! :steer:

Gotta love the prodding.

Hard to hide in the shadows when you're gettin' nudged from behind !

Now who was it that organizes that confrabration anyways???

Later......

that was more than a nudge for either of you. i'd say almost a kick! :lol:

Thanks Bear! That was exactly what I was looking for.

I keep tellimg myself I'm going to drive the 45 the first time I make the 45 run but I've been saying that for about 5 or 6 years and its still not ready. Maybe its time to take the 40.

Some additional info. I found some OEM studs in my parts bin and measured them on the smooth area. They were consistent at .538"

I also found some that looked very similar to OEM but they did not have the OEM marking on the back side. These measured at .536" slightly smaller than the OEM studs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom