Bought a 97 40th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 1997 40th last week wit 203K on the clock. Runs/ shifts well and has reeeel cold AC. Only bad paint is the hood. No rust and no lockers. About the only off roading I will do is on the beach in OBX.

IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Very nice - love the Sage color... I've looked all over for one but it just didn't pan out for me. Glad it worked out for ya.

Nice beer bottle in that cubby hole.... ;)

I hope that beer was after you got home!!! :hillbilly:

I love driving on the beach down in Ocracoke. I go for a week in October to Avon this year last year was September.

Yeah, the beer was while I was pulling the wheels and checking the brakes, and checking tire pressures, etc. Forgot to post I paid $4500 for the truck. My only concern is the AT with that many miles. It shifts well and doesn't slip or anything. I took it to a tranny guy I trust and asked about doing a flush/fill and filter change. He said because I don't know the history of any tranny services, I might be creating problems with new fluid with fresh detergents. He said I could end up with all kinds of crud being loosened up and clogging valves. I have to think about this. Seems counterproductive to me but he's been in the business for 40 years.

Its really a crapshoot with the tranny flushes. If you can do a fluid exchange instead of the pressurized flush it is better.

My Volvo has 250k+ miles and the auto tranny fluid was black and started to make the car go into limp mode on really hot days. I decided I need to swap fluid. Got a funnel and tube from a volvo site to do the job you hook the tube to the tranny cooler line off the radiator and turn the car on and pump out 4 quarts into a bucket. Stop car and replace with 4 new quarts.. repeat and now it drives great. That wasn't pressurized though.

Wife had a Explorer with 145k that has black auto fluid. Had to get it pressure flushed twice to get it to stay red and it ran great afterwards until we sold it .. no debris being let loose or whatever. I would run it til the very first sign of weird problems and then you have to do something about it.

With the LC you can drain the pan and replace what fluid you got out and then just do that a few times over a few weeks and you'll get most of the old fluid. Almost forgot about that option which is pretty much a fluid exchange.

These landcruiser transmissions are very,very, tough. Drain and fill several times, get the majority of the old fluid out and it will be golden for another decade. I don't like auto trannies but I have become enamored by these Heavy Duty Japanese units.

Nice.

Forget the LC I want to know about the late 70s-mid80s (not sure) Caprice Station Wagon in the driveway over there haha. My dad had a 79 we had for years up until we moved to PA 20 years ago.. hit a black bear on the way into town moving and all it did was break the grill

I would sleep in the back of that thing on all the family trips when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Belongs to the widow next door who inherited it from her father in law a couple years ago. It only has about 50K on it. It hasn't been moved in over a year. I told her to sell it because it's just going to hell sitting there.

damn.. yea I'd hate to see that sit there and go to waste hopefully she sells it.

OK, the carpet is nice, but I like a more utilitarian setup - like my 1st gen 4Runners. Just some heavy duty vinyl covering on the floors. I used to just hose those things out to get rid of sand, etc. from the beach. Does anyone manufacture vinyl floor kits for these 80 series?

OK, the carpet is nice, but I like a more utilitarian setup - like my 1st gen 4Runners. Just some heavy duty vinyl covering on the floors. I used to just hose those things out to get rid of sand, etc. from the beach. Does anyone manufacture vinyl floor kits for these 80 series?

Pull the carpet and line it (Durabak, Rhino, etc.).

I miss driving on the beach at OBX - good times :cheers:

i agree about the vinyl flooring, ive been searching for the kit but i cant find it, any luck? im not sold on the lining the inside idea

looks good man. i love that color!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom