1971 Build up. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to thank everyone on Mudd for the help and ideas. 1. Noah on the front disks, Cam on the rears, Orange FJ on parts, Poser on good advice, and everyone else I didn't mention.

So what turned out to be a simple "just paint the outside" turned into a complete disaster (kinda). One thing led to another and I stripped the whold dam rig! I found some rust, so I cut it out. What was salvagable, I grinded the $hit out of. I also had the pleasure of scraping off rino liner from the entire tub, only to find a bunch of rust. This was, I think, the worst and best experience of my life. It took me a week to get that stuff out, and 5 gallons of Jassco. Stuff worked really well. Another 2 days with a dewalt 4 1/2 grinder, and then to the air tools, and this is where I am at. Going to take out the windows. The W/S is super cheap and there is a great write-up on the installation and part numbers. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/437700-guide-installing-hard-top-windows.html

More pics to folow.

:cheers:
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg

I took all of the doors and brackets, hump, hood and anything else I could get my hands on to a well known local shop for sand blasting and primer. After seeing that rust, I needed some help. Cha Ching!
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

>>As you read many times here...now on your own skin..." One thing led to another and I stripped the whole dam rig! " welcome to the madness...and that's never stop

So now I am waiting on the weilder and focusing on the roof.
IMG_0076.jpg

I refurbushed every part that I could. But had to buy a few things. I replaced all the bolts with new stainless steel. Ace is the place. Cha Ching. I rebuild the seats. I have a really cool rear seat that is out of a side kick. I had it custom made to match the stock fromt bench seat. Will show when car is done.
march 2011 021.jpg
march 2011 022.jpg
march 2011 012.jpg

Parts that I refurbushed. I spend about an hour per day (for 2 months) tinkering on the small stuff. Kitchen became the workshop.
march 2011 052.jpg
march 2011 016.jpg
march 2011 017.jpg

Subscribed.. nice! Are those door-mounted mirrors?
Those mirrors bolt onto the lower window brackets. I hope I can still fold down the window when I am done because I want to go "safari" style on a beach run.

Those mirrors bolt onto the lower window brackets. I hope I can still fold down the window when I am done because I want to go "safari" style on a beach run.

Hmm.. I thought so. You mean the front window, right? In your pic, the arms seem much longer. I need to figure a way to elongate and bend my passenger side arm forward so I can see it out the front window. Side view out passenger window is useless due to my blocking roll cage! :bang:

929703904_5mZxX-M.jpg

Hmm.. I thought so. You mean the front window, right? In your pic, the arms seem much longer. I need to figure a way to elongate and bend my passenger side arm forward so I can see it out the front window. Side view out passenger window is useless due to my blocking roll cage! :bang:

929703904_5mZxX-M.jpg
Yea, those are the same mirrors and I have the exact same problem. Maybe try positioning on the side of the bracket instaed of the front? Not sure if the mirror brackets will fit on the side. You can also extend the arm by loosening the bolt and pulling out the arm. One of mine will do that, but the other won't.

Yea, those are the same mirrors and I have the exact same problem. Maybe try positioning on the side of the bracket instaed of the front? Not sure if the mirror brackets will fit on the side. You can also extend the arm by loosening the bolt and pulling out the arm. One of mine will do that, but the other won't.

Side? Let me look at it when I get home...

If I can extend this tubing, do you think it can be safely/neatly bent? I think if I can bend it slightly forward, but then bend the mirror attachment back to reangle the mirror toward me, it might work. Not quite sure how easily this tubing will bend, kink? or snap?

Thanks..

Side? Let me look at it when I get home...

If I can extend this tubing, do you think it can be safely/neatly bent? I think if I can bend it slightly forward, but then bend the mirror attachment back to reangle the mirror toward me, it might work. Not quite sure how easily this tubing will bend, kink? or snap?

Thanks..
I don't think the bar can be bent. But you could try by heating it up real good. You could take it to a machine shop and they could fabricate something, or bend it.

929703904_5mZxX-M.jpg

even when you pull the arm further out, you won't be able to see the mirror if you have a roll cage - don't ask me how I know :hillbilly:

also, the further out the mirror is the more resistance it gets when driving at speed, and that will make the mirror face lean down - and then you can't see anything anyway :meh:

I simply do not use that mirror, I turn my head instead :doh:

Old feller once told me you could pack thin tube full of sand & seal it in and bend it then without collapsing. Never tried it, so take it with a grain of salt and practice it one some scrap. :)

Cal-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom