'85 22r carb upper intake fit on 84 22re lower intake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
6thgearadvertising.com
I need to know if an upper plenum from an 85 carb 22r will bolt to a lower plenum from an 84 efi 22re.

The 84 is a late motor, July of 84 if that makes a difference.
The reason for this: My original 22R in my 85 spun a bearing, needs full rebuild. Found a deal on freshly rebuilt 84 22RE, previously installed in an 85 so mounts, alternator, power steering have all been modified to work in my truck.

I don't have everything to convert to efi so I'm putting my carb in the motor but read that the holes do not line up where the lower '85 intake bolts to the '84 head. Can't just swap my 85 head on the 84 b/c of different head/deck heights.

So that's why I'm going to use the lower intake plenum from the 84 and the upper from the 85 - IF they can bolt together. I can't think of any other issues that would keep this from working.

I'm confused. There is no "upper" plenum on a carb'd engine. There's just an intake manifold, the carb, then the air filter. Only the EFI engine setup has a "plenum".

???

Maybe we are confusing terms. Pics might help.

I know toyx4fun will know he has done the conversion but I am thinking the bolt pattern on the heads are diffrent?

I know toyx4fun will know he has done the conversion but I am thinking the bolt pattern on the heads are diffrent?

I think the bolt pattern is different, too. I also think the intakes on the 22RE head are either a different size or shape than the 22R.

If you have a deal on a solid 22RE, then see if you can scrounge up the whole harness, and just go EFI. It'll be eaiser to pass emissions with a solid 22RE than a 22R/RE hybrid.

wasnt 83 the last tall deck?

I put a carb intake mani on an EFI head theyre the same as long as its 2.4 your fine, EFI head have the boss for the carb fuel pump just gotta remove the cover they come with..

No my early 84 22r is tall

I put a carb intake mani on an EFI head theyre the same as long as its 2.4 your fine, EFI head have the boss for the carb fuel pump just gotta remove the cover they come with..

Nope, all 22R's were tall deck, all 22RE's were short deck, deep crank. You've got the right idea, though. 83 was the last for the L-series transmissions, and the funky floor-mounted throttle.

Well, that's good to know, thanks for the info.

Nope, all 22R's were tall deck, all 22RE's were short deck, deep crank.

Uhhh... not quite.

All 22R-series were the taller block until 8/84. Even the EFI-version they put in the Celicas. Timing cover was deep enough to accept a double-chain until that time as well. Other oddities: oil pan used a cork gasket, not FIPG, and the oil drain plug was huge, took a 19mm wrench.

After 8/84, they changed the deck height to the "short deck", this was a "laser cut" block, even the carb'd 22Rs. EFI and carb engines use the same block.

LC Engineering
LC Engineering

the intake will swap over i put efi on my 84 engine until it blew the rear oil seal.

check it and make sure all your cooling ports line up, the other problem i had was the down pipe for a carbed truck caused the efi engine to lack power not sure why but when i changed to the efi down pipe it had a lot more power, not sure if this will matter to you since you are going carb.

Carbs can be put on EFI engines and EFIs can be put on carb engines.

There are lots of parts combos out there pertaining to this instance.

First you need to ID you engine. I dont care what year you THINK it is, you need to look. The truck is 30 years old and who knows what who put in there the last 4 times it had the engine replaced.

Look down the side of the block on the passenger side. Do ya see a flat casting that looks like a wing nut shape (round center with two round nubs/wings on it)?

Anyone got a pic of the casting Im talking about? Its drilled for an oil line on the turbo blocks. Only RE engines/blocks will have this.

This will tell ya what you block is at least and then you will need to ID the year of the head next.

I decided to pass on the motor. He didn't have any of the other parts needed to convert to EFI and I didn't want to deal with my parts not fitting. I's going to be much easier to use a 22r from 85+ Plus I'll have plenty of spare parts that will fit 85+ and the ones I end up needing will be easier to find.

I decided to pass on the motor. He didn't have any of the other parts needed to convert to EFI and I didn't want to deal with my parts not fitting. I's going to be much easier to use a 22r from 85+ Plus I'll have plenty of spare parts that will fit 85+ and the ones I end up needing will be easier to find.

Your 85 could be a 22re with a carb on it.

Then if you got a early 22r you would not have t he same bolt pattern on the intake side of the head.

My 85 toyota truck had a carb on it stock, but was on a 22re engine. From 85 up they used the RE engine if the rig was carbed or injected. I dont think my 85 up carb intake will fit on a 84 and down engine/head.

So make sure your rig has either the 22RE or the 22R. I would not guess or speculate. ID it.

The head is easy to ID if the exhaust manifold is off. RE= pear shaped ports and the R is a hole with a little hole above the larger port.

The block can be IDed by the double keyhole casting on the side of the block down low by the pan lip that is milled and drilled on turbo trucks but is just a cast riser on normal ol 22REs.

my 84 did not have the laser block and the 87 FI intake bolted right up to it!

so if the FI intake bolted to it than i would think the carb intake would .

the 87 laser block head bolted up but then the engine would not turn over, the pistons hit the head, i cranked it buy hand, so i put the 84 head back on and bolted the intake from the 87 to the 84 head.

88 has the head from the 84 now, and it is identical to his, we laid them side by side and compared them, so i am speculating it was the stock head.

i think that some guys have tried to use the 20r head on 22re's and the intake will not work, i do know some carb guys have used the 20r head to get more power from the 22r, so this might be why the misconception exsist about the re intake on the r engine, or they might have changed the head in 84, and the 83 heads will not except the re intake.

20r head can only go on tall-deck 22r block....

this thread is starting to hurt my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom