Squirrely suspension questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a OME stock set of springs and shocks, and went from a set of 30" tires to some 33's. While I was at it, I threw in 30mm Man-A-Fre spacers all around. Looks great to me, but my concern is the way she now drives.

When I'm driving, there seems to be much more play in the steering than previously. The suspension obviously changed, but it seems like it wants to drift on me. When I'm braking, for example, if there's any irregularity in the road surface, it'll cause it to veer in a bizarre manner. You know those ruts caused by heavy 18 wheeler traffic? Yeah, with those, if it's kinda hitting the side of one of those ruts when I am braking, it wants to turn that direction.

I have a set of swaybar drop blocks for the front, but didn't install those. I don't think it's a caster issue with a stock lift and some stinkin 30mm spacers, right?

Don't get me wrong, it is controllable, just not the pleasant to drive machine it was before. What should I check?

Only thing I can say is have the Truck alligned to be sure you really dont need any caster correction and if maybe the new springs somehow changed your allignement.

:banana:

Friend of mine (mud member) says casters might be the issue. I originally planned the stock height and spacers to try to avoid caster issues, but if I needs 'em, I'll get 'em.

Anyone had caster issues on a stock height (+1") lift?

Okay, supposed to take it in today for an alignment, but the guy I use for all my usual stuff says there may be a camber (sp?) change (angle of the tires?) that's causing the wandering of the steering. If this is the case, is that something that's adjustable, and should I have known to adjust that as part of the lift? All I did was put the shocks, springs, spacer and tires on....

Tightened the nuts/bolts whle the truck's weight was on the ground?

Shocks and axle locating links/arms tight?

Camber is not adjustable. Between the stock lift springs (probably gained a bit over original), spacers and 33s, I wouldn't be surprised if your caster is out enough to feel. I had spacers on my rig, and noticed the difference in the steering when I installed them. The bigger tires just tend to grab ruts and such more making it more noticable. Let us know after you've been to the alignment shop.

Edit - What Christo said...

Last edited:
Well, if you got about 1" of lift from the stock springs, and added 30mm of spacers, then you probably lost enough caster that you have to correct it.

I was hoping that the OME springs would take me back to stock (i.e., back into the mid range of the caster's original setting) and that the spacer wouldn't put me over the top.

Guess I don't need to count on that lotto ticket for retirement either, eh?

Thanks for the input y'all. Looks like I need to make a visit to Mr. Slee's site (you got em?), but to be sure it doesn't need alignment, I'm gonna take it in anyhow and then get the casters to boot.

Tightened the nuts/bolts whle the truck's weight was on the ground?

Shocks and axle locating links/arms tight?

My usual practice on the tires is to tighten nuts only slightly, then lower it and crank on it once it's on the ground. For the shocks, I tightened the top (on the rears) on the stand, due to the PITA it was to get to it, then the other end on the ground.

Honestly, I didn't check the axle links/arms at all. Probably a wise idea. :doh:

Check your steering wheel freeplay to make sure it is within spec. The bigger tires may be exacerbating a slightly worn steering gear. If the steering wheel play is more than spec you can adjust it on the steering box pretty easily.

Honestly I wouldn't THINK that amount of lift would need bushings but, then again, every truck and driver is different. I have J springs on front with no correction and in MY opinion it drives great, someone else may not think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom