Fuel pump issues in an 85 FJ60 with a 92-93 GM TBI 5.7l (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This email comes from a moment of frustration. I just realized that the return line from the throttle body of my 350 doesn't return to the tank. It returns to the bleeder on the bottom of my fuel pump (a Mallory 4060FI). I started investigating this as my pump started making noise like its working way too hard to push gas. Also, likely this fuel pump is not what I want to use as it puts out about 40 psi and 40 gph. At most the engine needs about 30 psi wide open. So here are my questions:
(1) How easy is it to drop the tank (a stock 60 tank) so I can run the return line back to the tank?
(2) does anyone have a picture of top of the tank with all the lines showing? I will use this to get an idea of what I'll need to hook it up.
(3)Is the fuel pump likely kaput?
(4) Is the pressure regulator likely kaput as this model of fuel pump has been on there since 1997 ish?

And no, I did not do the conversion.

GM TBI injector pods have an integrated FPR. They usually operate around 13 PSI. The Cruiser has a return line, with the stock motor, one line passed through the filter then to the fuel pump. From the fuel pump, one went to the carb, the other back to the tank. Look at a stock rig if you can to help identify it. If your pump still runs chances are its ok. Once you fix the plumbing you will know.

Thanks LehiGuy. Once again, you a a font of information. I've got the hardware keeping the tank up soaking with PB. I'm gonna give them a twist tomorrow morning and see if they move at all. If so, I'm gonna head to the parts store, drop the tank in the parking lot and re-plumb. This is my DD and so it would be nice if this solves the issue.

You shouldn't have to drop the tank to get at the fuel return line. The port for the return is just above the rear brake fitting on the frame above the axle. Just reach around up there and you will find both. I have the same set up. I run a gsl 395 walbro pump. Pretty happy with it. Not to loud and 15k issue free miles.

You shouldn't have to drop the tank to get at the fuel return line. The port for the return is just above the rear brake fitting on the frame above the axle. Just reach around up there and you will find both. I have the same set up. I run a gsl 395 walbro pump. Pretty happy with it. Not to loud and 15k issue free miles.

I think I got it correctly replumbed this morning. I think this is a temporary fix though as the pump still sounds like its dieing. I've put on about 10k miles or so on it in the past few months and its sounds like its on the way out. I might switch over to the same pump as you have. My current pump has a port that splices into the return line. This in a sense primes the pump so it can push gas to the engine. Does the Walbro have something like this? I think that the need for this primer is part of the issue on long hauls with this vehicle as the hot gas in the return essentially heats up the pump's electric motor. Also, it does not currently have a relay which also should be there. Likely what will have to happen is I put in the relay and then put in a new pump.

The walbro just has an in and an out. In from the tank then straight to the tbis regulator. The return from the tbi goes directly back into the tank. You want the pump as close to the tank as possible.
Arizona TPI :: Fuel Pumps :: Walbro GSL395-Kit This is the exact setup I run. You want a standard filter before the pump and the high pressure filter after. Pumps push a lot better than they pull so you don't want to much resistance before.

pump location

Like Kurtis says, it would probably be better to mount the pump as close to the tank as possible and low so it's mostly gravity / siphon fed. That said, with your low pressure requirements for the TBI, there are many pumps out there that should be able to provide good service. Pumps use the flow of fuel to cool and lubricate, and on the higher pressure applications that's why the in-tank pumps are desirable. Quieter too...

The relay can help get more amps to the pump and less current through the original wiring, depending on how your conversion was set up.

You should be able to just replace your current pump with another brand and use a direct return to the tank. That should be easiest, but there are potentially better schemes if you want to relocate the pump and rewire / replumb.

I'm partial to Bosch in-line pumps, but many have great experiences w/Walbro.

walbro is the brand to go with on electric fuel pumps.

I used an external pump form a Ford. They used it on all vehicles with injected V8 motors up untill the Triton motors came out in about '96. That way its easy to find should I need a replacement in some remote corner of the world and if it can satisfy a 460, it should keep my 350 pretty happy. Been on there for three years now without a glitch. Having said all that, Walbro has a great reputation and you won't go wrong using one.

Specifically the pump and filter from a Ford Merkur were recommended to me by an SVO guy at the SEMA show in 1995. This for a 5.0 SEFI swap into an earlier model Ford. He told me that all of the Ford pumps were the same in the pump itself, regardless of engine size or type of EFI. It is the fittings that vary and that the Merkur part was the easiest to adapt to.

Specifically the pump and filter from a Ford Merkur were recommended to me by an SVO guy at the SEMA show in 1995. This for a 5.0 SEFI swap into an earlier model Ford. He told me that all of the Ford pumps were the same in the pump itself, regardless of engine size or type of EFI. It is the fittings that vary and that the Merkur part was the easiest to adapt to.

I had never heard of the Merkur until you just posted this. I wikied it and according to them only 800 were ever imported to the US. If we already think its hard to get parts for 60 series, try a vehicle with even more limited distribution. I dont think the Merkur is a very good candidate unless I'm not understanding you correctly. Please explain again if the Merkur fuel pump is not what you recommend.

I used an external pump form a Ford. They used it on all vehicles with injected V8 motors up untill the Triton motors came out in about '96. That way its easy to find should I need a replacement in some remote corner of the world and if it can satisfy a 460, it should keep my 350 pretty happy. Been on there for three years now without a glitch. Having said all that, Walbro has a great reputation and you won't go wrong using one.

This sounds intriguing as Ford parts should be available everywhere. I'm going to look into this option. How loud is the unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom