2f carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PHOTO

photo
CARB.jpg

One is the idle fuel cut off solenoid that you appear to have in your hand and the other one is a temperature sender at the base of the carb.

that wire wraps around the carb toward the drivers fender. I think it should be close to the wire that attaches to your brake cylinders.

Is the idle fuel cut off solenoid the same thing as the idle solenoid in the posts that have the battery connect to the terminal "click" test?
Is the temp sending unit for the dash or the side carb. cooling fan?

pR
One is the idle fuel cut off solenoid that you appear to have in your hand and the other one is a temperature sender at the base of the carb.

Is the idle fuel cut off solenoid the same thing as the idle solenoid in the posts that have the battery connect to the terminal "click" test?

pR

Yes.

My temperature sender to the Gague cluster is where the yellow circle is...I have a June 77 model...Don't have the temperature wire where you have pictured.
CARB.jpg

what year carb is that? That doesn't look like a '76 to me? The power valve port isn't on an angled surface like that right? I can't tell what year that's supposed to be from...

Could you read the date stamped on the oval boss under the vacuum port/hose on the front of the carb? Something like 8 L 12(that's what my 12/78 carb is stamped for example)...

I was wondering about this too. I assumed my carb was later as this sensor wasn't hooked up. When I went for smog I attached a wire and left it under the air cleaner so it looked like it was connected to something.

Where does it go? To the emissions computer?

Edit: answering my own question: it goes to pin 4 of the emissions computer on a '78, "carb flange temp sensor", for all US models.

Last edited:
Will find out the carb info

at work now. But when I get home I will post. Thanks for the help

Date stamp is 6 J 22.......... 1976 January 22nd? Right? Now where the hell does that wire go?

Date stamp is 6 J 22.......... 1976 January 22nd? Right? Now where the hell does that wire go?

It needs to go to a +12v source that is powered when the ignition is on. On my '76, which is not 100% original, it goes into the harness at the same place as the temp sensor, in the yellow circle.

Thanks, Eddie. I see no location for it to plug into where you referenced. I think I'm going to have my buddy look at it. I'm over my head

I have a 76 all original and the idle solenoid harness runs along the driver side of the valve cover and has two temp sensor leads for sensors in the driver side of the head and then the idle solenoid. Three connectors in total.

6 J 22 would be 1976 October 22 (J is 10th letter of alphabet, October is 10th month of year). I'm still confused about some of the vacuum ports and the general arrangement of your carb though, it still doesn't look right to me. Does anyone have any comment on the angled vacuum port on the air horn? That doesn't look like a power valve vacuum port from a '76 carb...

'76 Federal:
042-01I-3.jpg

'76 California:
042-01I-CA-3.jpg

'77 Federal:
042-01J-3.jpg

'77 California:
042-01J-CA-3.jpg

Sounds like ColonelMustard has your answer on where to look for the electrical connection. On a '77 the power for the idle solenoid comes from the driver's side fender, near where the brake fluid level sensors are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom