where to get an fj40 exhaust sytem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a exhaust system to mate to my header for my 78 fj40. I saw one on ebay a couple of weeks ago but I can't find that same one. I can't find one on Napa's website either. Any help is appreciated.

I just had an exhaust system installed from my header back w/ flowmaster muffler last Friday at Meineke.It cost me $300,which is less than half the quote I got from a off road shop.Very pleased!

Any muffler shop should be able to run it for you. I just had mine done a couple of months ago by a local shop. He ran it from the header collector out the back for 175. I went with a standard muffler but didn't want it loud. I have been pleased with mine also.

That sounds like a good idea. The only problem with that is that I have to tow it to an exhaust shop because I'm on my tail end of a restoration.

Wow,I thought I got a good deal.Thats a frickin steal.

I have my old exhaust in several pieces since I had to cut it to get it out,I guess I could take that as a templet to a shop.

You could but it will be little different on the engine end if you are running a header verses the stock exhaust manifold. I just told the guy were I wanted mine to run and where ad how I wanted it to come out the back. He nailed it. Low fumes with top off and looks good. Wish I had some pics to show you. Only problem was once I put the exhaust on I could hear the other noises. Rear third member came shortly after. :bang:

Yeah, I figured that. I have a new collector to weld to the new exhaust, is it as simple as cutting the new exhaust and welding the collector on or is it more involved?

I think that is pretty much it. I drove mine to them with the collector bolted to the header. I didn't watch them do it but i think they just started from the collector and worked to the back.

I think that is pretty much it. I drove mine to them with the collector bolted to the header. I didn't watch them do it but i think they just started from the collector and worked to the back.
Ok, thank you. I bet it was loud on the way over ther, huh?

:cheers:

Im in the same boat and I plan on putting a header on and trailering it to the local custom exhaust shop and having them run it where I want it. I looked at the MAF bolt on kit but they don't offer it anymore and as a rule of thumb here in Alaska shipping doubles the price of everything if its big or heavy... so the custom shop it is.

Thanks for the tip on Meineke... Ill give them a call.

build a tow bar, rent a dolly or drive the thing to a place that can make one for you and install it.

Nothing and mean nothing is going to bolt right on no matter who made it or where you bought it.

Last edited:
Any muffler shop should be able to run it for you. I just had mine done a couple of months ago by a local shop. He ran it from the header collector out the back for 175. I went with a standard muffler but didn't want it loud. I have been pleased with mine also.

/this\

local company charged me $165 for the entire thing back from the header collector - and if I had a leak, I would be able to go back tomorrow and have them weld on it again

why not finish your resto and then drive it to the muffler place :confused:

/this\
local company charged me $165 for the entire thing back from the header collector - and if I had a leak, I would be able to go back tomorrow and have them weld on it again

I went the same route and got a similar price. I have a quiet, generic muffler and really like the new exhaust pipe that tucks up inside the frame rails. A flowmaster would've been about $60 to $70 more.

Thank's guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom