Another Tube Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my tube bumper by Booger Weld Inc.:hillbilly:
I made it so it is removable by using the existing bumper bracket holes on the sides of the frame rails
I might add some more tube to it but you get the idea
I will post pics of it mounted after the paint dries.
:cheers:
Bumper 001.jpg
Bumper 004.jpg
Bumper 008.jpg

Nice I like the look of it.

Out of curiosity why not use the existing top and bottom holes that are already there, giving you 4 bolts per frame connection?

I like it! Are you doing to do anything else to frame in the winch?

Edit: I will box in between the frame rails and make that a solid piece like yours Nay
But I am not going to frame in the winch any more I will box up to the winch plate but not weld them together
I like to have everything easily accessible and easy to remove if I have to
I like it nice and simple

Cant use the holes on top because they are being used by the winch
The holes on the side of the rails is more than enough

Last edited:
Not that the stock bumper is any better, but that offers nothing if you ever hit something - other than to destroy the winch, frame, everything up front. Do you plan to do anything to protect the AC drier?

It is plenty strong, plus there is a little more I need to do but you get the idea
And as far as hitting something do you mean another vehicle or something?
Any of the other tube bumpers out there do not offer any more protection either
If I was going for full protection I would get an ARB, which will never happen
The point of the bumper is light weight with some protection and easy removel if need be with easy access to the winch if need to remove
I will box together the bottom of the frame rails but that is about it
The AC dryer has been exposed on my rig since day one and I have never hit it or even come close
As far as hitting something in the woods I have already hit the front of the winch and plate pretty hard and it did absolutly nothing

Last edited:
Some more pics of it mounted
Still need to box in the frame rails below the winch
I will also use bolts holes on the bottom of the frame rail as well for more support
But it will still be all removable with ease
You get the idea:cheers:
Bumper 003.jpg
Bumper 001.jpg

That is badass. I love the simplicity of it.

Who bent the tube for you? Or did you do it yourself?

Thanks
I bent the tube using good old Northern Industrial jack tube bender
They are a pain to use because you have to do a lot of small bends so you dont screw the tube up but it works
Hopefully I will finish it up next week

Not that the stock bumper is any better, but that offers nothing if you ever hit something - other than to destroy the winch, frame, everything up front. Do you plan to do anything to protect the AC drier?

There are two general types of bumpers - those designed to hit things and those designed to not hit things.

When you take the first type offroad for more serious wheeling, you hit things, because the clearance sucks.

The way you improve the second type of bumper is to box/tie in the frame rails. That is what makes any 80 series bumper strong in terms of front end protection.

The way you improve the first type of bumper is to replace it with the second type of bumper :flipoff2:

I really like the lines you got going on the stinger and the tube under it, good job man.

I would secure the bumper a little better though especially if you plan to winch with it. Just an idea but..... How about you extend the mounts where the bolts go through down to the lower edge of the frame then run a nice piece of 1/4" between the frame rails. This would box things in nicely and allow you to utilize the 4 stock recovery bolt holes. You could also take a straight edge and run it from your fairlead and down the frame then mark and cut the frame at an angle for better approach.

Think of the top front edge of the frame as a pivot point when the forces (torque) of winching are applied to the bumper. Boxing it in will transfer those forces to the bottom surface of the frame and allow the bolts that secure the bumper to the frame do just that instead of having to take the shear force as well.

Try throwing a piece of cardboard between the bumper and frame when mocking things up. It acts as a spacer and things wont be too snug when you need to remove the bumper.

D

Last edited:
I still got some work to do
I am going to box the frame rails in and tie it into the bumper and also use the bolt holes on the bottom of the frame rail
Plus I will be adding some gussets here and there

Sounds like you have some experience wheeling but my first day out I accidentally busted my a/c dryer on the rocks. I would HIGHLY recommend moving or protecting it. I had a local shop make up new lines for $80 or so. Prices will vary but it would be the first thing I did if I started over. My .02, FWIW. I like the lines of it and the simplicity. Good thinking on the weight too.
AR

Never been wheeln before, just to the mall:hillbilly:
It does hang down there but I will deal with it at another time or until I break it
whichever comes first

Here is the finished product
I boxed in the frame rails and added some gussets in a couple of spots
:cheers:
Bumper 007.jpg
Bumper 003.jpg
Bumper 006.jpg

It does hang down there but I will deal with it at another time or until I break it whichever comes first

That's an un-fun break - it means you spend the rest of the day without AC and if you really need AC, which people in Virginia usually do in the summer, then you spend to fix it and then you'll be spending to redesign it.

They blow very easily - build some sort of a hoop or best to relocate it.

Besides the AC dryer what do you think?
I will probably put a small hoop or something there later
But here in VA all we wheel is construction sites so no worries about any rocks or anything:flipoff2:

Initial product? Meh.

Finished product? Mui Bueno! Nice work.

Besides the AC dryer what do you think?
I will probably put a small hoop or something there later
But here in VA all we wheel is construction sites so no worries about any rocks or anything:flipoff2:

I'd be terribly worried about that random disconnected backhoe shovel :flipoff2:

I like it - you aren't going to be winching off the bumper as your winch plate is attached to the rails, so I don't see the need for a bunch of extra connection points.

Good work :cheers:

Yeah no winching off the bumper, thats why I attached the winch directly to the top of the frame
It is primarily for good clearance and approach and a little bit of woods protection, I mean contruction site protection:hillbilly:

I can get some good poser flex shots off of those random Backhoe shovels:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom