Need tires for my DD - would like something better than ATs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My DD needs new tires. I'd like something good for wheeling, as I do wheel this truck, but lets be honest - the commute is something I do every day and wheeling is something I do far less.

BFG ATs come to mind; they're great tires. But kinda boring. Is there anything a bit more aggressive and nearly as well mannered on road?

How about BFG M/T's? Or Hankook Dynapro M/T's or Toyo open country M/T's? I need a tire for the same reasons as you, these are whatI'm considering leaning toward the BFG M/T's.

Good Year Wrangler Dura Trac. Tire has AT & MT characteristics in one tire.

Last edited:
Good Year Wrangler Dura Trac. Tire has AT & MT characteristics in one tire.

^^This.. I have these and love them. Work great in the rocks, and not too loud on the street*...

*everyone's standard of Db is different I don't mind the little bit of noise they make.

Drew, I've been very happy with my BFG KM2's. Excellent ride at reasonable pressures, steers easy, not any noisier than the other wind and Cruiser noise, good traction off-road.

I'm happy with my BFG KM2s. Very good all around.:beer:

Drew, I've been very happy with my BFG KM2's. Excellent ride at reasonable pressures, steers easy, not any noisier than the other wind and Cruiser noise, good traction off-road.

So I only learned about 30 minutes ago that there were two flavors of BFG MT... are the KMs and KM2s really that different?

ATs kick ass in the dry rocks and sand, it's only mud and wet where they suffer, IMO. Spring for some MTRs if you're wealthy.

Depending on what size you need, I love my Treadwrights and they're cheaper than anything else.

So I only learned about 30 minutes ago that there were two flavors of BFG MT... are the KMs and KM2s really that different?

From what I've seen and read, they are roughly equal in most respects off the pavement and maybe a slight edge to the KM2 on it.:meh:

Pretty sure they discontinued the KM1 a coupla years ago.

I run Goodyear Silent Armors on my DD. Seems OK to me.

I was running 33 x 14.5 x 15 Super Swampers once because that is what was on the 40 when I got it. I was looking for the same thing you are after. Now many people crack on tires made in Asia but I ran across a major deal on a set of 4 for like $200 98% tread so I thought why not? They are Nankang Mudstar M/T 33 x 12.5 x 15's made in Taiwan but I am telling you these tires ride comfortable, have beefy tread, good pulling in mud, dirt, sand and are very quiet. The question I have is how long will they last tread wise and I have not ran across any side wall specs as of yet. The rubber does feel some what softer than the Swamper rubber. But again for the price I was willing to try them out. Just a thought.

you can't get the KMs anymore - they have discontinued that tire; any that are still sold are old

How about ... Or Hankook Dynapro M/T's .

Avoid these tires. I've just finished running a set on a FJ60. Decent on the road, long life, ca. 80k miles, but poor in the mud. The main reason that I recommend to go with some other tire is that in the end the sidewalls began to fail without notice. In two tires punctures developed at without the sidewalls being stressed, i.e. pressed or rubbed against rock etc.

Can't imagine that you run into any snow there, but I've heard that the General Grabbers AT2 work even better than the BFG TAs in it. I've also seen some good writeups on it. Good luck.

Well I will through my .02 in.lol I have run the 30x9.50x 15 Toyo Open Country AT's for 3years now on my chevy S10 and love them, the ride is great. Now I have not had this hard Wheeling in mud, but they do a great job in snow,rain and mud as long as you don't bottom out, I pretty much go anywhere I want to go with in reason.lol

I hope this helps.

thanks
lee

I have the BFG at's and I love them- so far even in mud they have done their job- just had to keep them spinning to clean them out. However- if I could have I would have bought the Cooper STT or the the ST MAXX. The STT seemed like a great tire because the voids seem bigger than theBFG but it still looked streetable- kinda betweena serious MT and an AT. I would love to hear of anyone experience with these.

Cooper Tires - Discoverer STT - On/Off-Road Tires

Pete

nitto terra grapplers, wanted them for my 80 series but went soft and got pussy BFG Long Trails, wanted them again for my troopy but they don't come in 235/85r16.

buddy has them on his truck great on the road and pretty good off

I'm going with pep boys. Definite Dakota mT. They look great in person. Have great reviews in the mud from offroad.com, 40k mile warranty. I'm not too worried about the sidewall issues because if I do get a bubble, I will get them warrantied under road hazard. They seem to have good enough siping that they do well in both rain and snow.

We had 33x12.5 Goodyear wrangler mTRs on a jeep and they SUCKED while braking when the streets were remotely wet. The car would spin without warning.

Plus it's buy 4 get 1 free with mail in rebate. They have 31x10.5 and 33x10.5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom