Fuel Pump Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone.I have searched FAQ and used the search function on this but haven't found the right answer.Ok. Here's what I've got. I ordered a new fuel pump from Carquest and when I went to install it I notice that the fuel intake hole was mounted on the side instead of the top and when I screwed my metal barbed line into the side it wouldn't fit into place because my oil filter housing was blocking the way. So I went back to carquest to try find an elbow adapter but had no luck. And they couldn't find another fuel pump to match.My question is: Does anyone have a preferred source for fuel pumps for Feb 1977 FJ40 2F? Is this a common problem or did I just get the wrong fuel pump?Thanks in Advance.Wes

Get me a year make and model I will try to get you the right Carquest part number. Also if you have a pic I can work with that. I will be closing up soon. So I will work on it in the morning.

June 77 Fuel Pump

Here's mine from a June 77 FJ40. Sounds like what you need.

After snapping this picture, I realize how filthy my engine is...Hope this helps you identify the right pump though. :eek:
0601011745.jpg

Thanks Jimd4x4 and Kurtnkegger.Kurtnkegger that is the old pump that I have taken off of my rig. However, when I ordered the new pump, they sent me another design without the metal line coming out from the top. It just has a fitting screwed in to the side. I have checked around and that seems like the design for the pre 9/1977 FJ40. But when I look at 9/77 to 78 fuel pumps it looks like the correct one for my rig. I just don't want to order it and it be wrong again.

I actually took mine apart and rotated it. Still working after 5 years.

It is not that hard. Just don't puncture the diaphragm.

rotating fuel pump

not sure what rotating it involves.Taking screws off of top cap and rotating the insides?

not sure what rotating it involves.Taking screws off of top cap and rotating the insides?

That is correct. Study it after removing the top screws to determine how the diaphragm is situated with respect to the inputs and outputs.

I do not remember all the details such as whether I had to shift the diaphragm also, or not. When I get home I will pull some old stuff and see.

I do remember that I got it right the 1st time, which doesn't always happen.

I just looked at the 3 I had on the shelf. Assuming yours is similar to the one in the pic above (2 sets of screws as opposed to 1), it is the bottom set of screws you remove to rotate the top assembly.

I still do not remember if I had to reposition the diaphragm or any other interior parts, but don't think I did.

Hello Everyone.I have searched FAQ and used the search function on this but haven't found the right answer.Ok. Here's what I've got. I ordered a new fuel pump from Carquest and when I went to install it I notice that the fuel intake hole was mounted on the side instead of the top and when I screwed my metal barbed line into the side it wouldn't fit into place because my oil filter housing was blocking the way. So I went back to carquest to try find an elbow adapter but had no luck. And they couldn't find another fuel pump to match.My question is: Does anyone have a preferred source for fuel pumps for Feb 1977 FJ40 2F? Is this a common problem or did I just get the wrong fuel pump?Thanks in Advance.Wes

OOOPPPSS!!! You did have the year, make and model. :eek:

Anyway I checked all my sources including Worldpac.
Carquest has nothing else to offer. After looking at above pic I do see your dilemma. Have you checked with cdan.

fuel pump

Is that Cruiser Dan?If so, no I haven't. What's the best way of getting in touch with him? Does he stock fuel pumps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom