Alabama Hills - Pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandbound.com
Alabama Hills, CA - Pics!

Hi everyone,

Added full trip details including the route!

Full Trip Details <click here>

I'll have a better write up of the trip soon, but wanted to share some pics now. The Cruiser was AWESOME! I got into a sketchy part of the Swansea Trail on the back side of Cerro Gordo Mines (Lone Pines, CA) literally on the side of a cliff. The rear slipped out toward the cliff and we all caught our breath. Locked the diffs and crawled out with zero slippage. Awesome trucks! ;) Yes, these are all from the same trip! We hit grassy plains, snowy mountains, red rock vistas and open desert. Great trip! Enjoy!

068.png

070.png

080.png

106.png

169.png

178.png

187.png

189.png

199.png

213.png

218.png

214.png

Last edited:
Nice Cruiser. Mahalo for sharing the pics!:flipoff2:

Awesome pics.. thanks!

I thought you meant real Alabama. Don't lead us on like that. Lol. Nice rig.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Looks like fun!

O M G you are scaring the bejeezus out of me with all that weight strapped to the factory rack!

Me too!

O M G you are scaring the bejeezus out of me with all that weight strapped to the factory rack!

Ha! Me too! Thats next on the list. Thinking the new Gobi full hieght rack ( not stealth).

Thanks for helping me justify the $ :)

M

The Alabama Hills - Bishop Field Office, Bureau of Land Mangement, California

The Alabama Hills gather their name from a Confederate warship responsible for wreaking havoc to northern shipping during the Civil War. Prospectors sympathetic to the Confederate cause named their mining claims after the Alabama and eventually the name stuck to these unique hills.

The fame of the C.S.S Alabama was both brilliant and short lived. Yankee warships finally cornered the Alabama off the coast of Normandy. There, in a running gun battle with the Northern steamsailer, U.S.S. Kearsarge, she was sunk in the summer of 1864. This event provided northern sympathetic miners to indulge in the art of "one-upmanship," by naming a whole mining district, mountain pass, a peak and a town, "Kearsarge".

Scene of many movies

I love that area. In the shadow of the highest crag in the lower 48 Mt Whitney. Across the Owens Valley near Bishop is the Bristlecone Pine Forest, a great place to camp (Grandview Campground) with a superlative view of the eastern escarpment of the Sierra Nevada.
alabamahills016.jpg
downie_River021_1.jpg

Wow! Yet another Sierras trip to add to my list. Does the campground have room for a 22ft travel trailer?

I love that area. In the shadow of the highest crag in the lower 48 Mt Whitney. Across the Owens Valley near Bishop is the Bristlecone Pine Forest, a great place to camp (Grandview Campground) with a superlative view of the eastern escarpment of the Sierra Nevada.

some of those boulder outcrops looks like the place that the movie TREMORS was filmed at...interesting, i always wondered where that was

topher

easily Grandview Campground is huge but relatively lightly used. It' s popular for the astronomical clubs because of its remoteness and high altitude. You're in the White Mountains of California. If you have 4x4 you can get a camping spot overlooking the Owens Valley and the Sierra. It's an awesome part of California to explore. Highway 6...Inyo National Forest

Looks like a great trip. Some day my LC will grow up to look like yours.

I wanna go... Drive past there all the time on my way to mammoth.. Guess I should change my plans someday and stop.. Wanna share your route?? What's the elevation? Trying to decide if I should wait for fall.. Awesome truck and pics!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom