FJ40 Headliner Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
In this thread, I am going to attempt to install a new SOR headliner into my FJ40 top. I have the headliner purchased and sitting here. I got the top off of the truck and in the garage:
Misc 002.jpg

As you can see, there are fragments of the old headliner still on there, got the petrifed bits of old foam still clinging, plus lots of the old glue still hanging on, too. I worked it over a bit with a brass wire wheel at low speed just to knock off the big stuff.
Misc 003.jpg

The piece of metal that goes across the front that ties to the windshield is riveted to the fiberglass top. A few of the rivets are loose and a few are gone.
Misc 004.jpg

I'm redoing my top too this summer and have a similar issue with the rivets. What kind are you going to use?

I'm redoing my top too this summer and have a similar issue with the rivets. What kind are you going to use?

Not sure what to do. I only have to fix a few of them. I was thinking maybe I'd redneck it back in shape with some small nuts and bolts glopped up with silicone. I don't know how to install rivets.

Not sure what to do. I only have to fix a few of them. I was thinking maybe I'd redneck it back in shape with some small nuts and bolts glopped up with silicone. I don't know how to install rivets.

You can get the rivets from Cool Cruisers or McMaster Carr.

Here's a link to the Cool Cruisers page (scroll about 2/3 down the page): Headliner

Following is a pic of their install tip. Their page has instructions on making and using the rods.

coolfj40_2155_152464358.jpg

...And here's another good tutorial showing how to do it with an air impact hammer: http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/body_&_frame/Installing_Rivets.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks 3dog! That's good info!

morse, that pop rivet idea sounds quick and easy. For my situation, may be a good way to go. Mine is not a factory-perfect purist resto. More like a redneck resto!

I'm going to use pop rivets on mine. A 5/32"dia by 1/4" long will work nicely. I'm no where near being a purist, so I don't really care if somebody notices.

A marine supply will have pop rivets made of Monel metal, a lot stronger than aluminum. They don't squash as easily as aluminum, but are do-able with a regular pop rivet gun. Monel is a basic form of stainless.

Thanks 3dog! That's good info!

morse, that pop rivet idea sounds quick and easy. For my situation, may be a good way to go. Mine is not a factory-perfect purist resto. More like a redneck resto!

I actually used pop rivets on mine... and it looks terrible. Good for a temporary fix, but if you have the top off, it's easy enough to do it right the first time.

I bought a top that was good enough to bolt on while I restored my other one, so I used pop rivets on the temporary one, but I'll definitely be using solid soft rivets on the next one.

I am surprised. I have talked to others who have used pop rivets ant it worked well.
McMaster Carr has the monel rivets I think.

They work great, the "squished" side just looks terrible. Also, I worry that they might be too tight on the fiberglass.

Tagging along, please keep us posted. I have the same $OR liner in a box that's on the to do list.

Is the liner over sized, and need trimming when installing?

I need it to be longer as corrugated tops are longer than the regular tops, and it would be nice to know before thinking of buying if it will fit or not.

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Anyone know if the image in post #1 is typical for a 1978 40?

Was the foam liner (factory install) just glued directly to the fiberglass, or is there additional insulation, etc.?

The PO on mine has some weird vinyl stuff glued in that sure doesn't look right. Anyone know a link for good instructions/guide on replacing the liner?

Rigger - any updates on your replacement?

Thanks,
Gus

Is the liner over sized, and need trimming when installing?

I need it to be longer as corrugated tops are longer than the regular tops, and it would be nice to know before thinking of buying if it will fit or not.

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Yes, I installed the SOR liner in mine and there was ample trim.

Anyone know if the image in post #1 is typical for a 1978 40?

Was the foam liner (factory install) just glued directly to the fiberglass, or is there additional insulation, etc.?

The PO on mine has some weird vinyl stuff glued in that sure doesn't look right. Anyone know a link for good instructions/guide on replacing the liner?

Rigger - any updates on your replacement?

Thanks,
Gus

Gus, the foam is the backing for the headliner material. The construction of the top is much like a surfboard...fiberglass/foam core/fiberglass. HTH

Pop Rivets?

This is what you get when you use pop rivets.
DSC06323.JPG
DSC06327.JPG

Rudi
DSC06323.JPG
DSC06327.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom