12HT into what vehicle ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y'all,

I have a RHD '89 60 series with 12HT. My insurance broker recently dropped me because they won't insure RHD anymore in Canada, and the only insurance I can get is crazy expensive (4 x more than same coverage for LHD !!!!).

So here is the question. I love my 12HT, have tonnes of spare drive train parts and want to keep it. What should I drop it into? I know dropping into another 60 series is the easiest, but I want a truck. I was either thinking an old style 45 series truck or a tacoma.

Any suggestions ??

thanks !

Ben

:hillbilly:

Hey Y'all,

I have a RHD '89 60 series with 12HT. My insurance broker recently dropped me because they won't insure RHD anymore in Canada, and the only insurance I can get is crazy expensive (4 x more than same coverage for LHD !!!!).

So here is the question. I love my 12HT, have tonnes of spare drive train parts and want to keep it. What should I drop it into? I know dropping into another 60 series is the easiest, but I want a truck. I was either thinking an old style 45 series truck or a tacoma.

Any suggestions ??

thanks !

Ben

:hillbilly:

Bummer about the insurance. That sucks.

Of the options there, I don't think it would even be close to fitting in a Tacoma, at least not without some SERIOUS body and drivetrain modifications. However, it would virtually bolt in place of an H or 2H if you could find an HJ-45 or 47, and with a little motor mount fabrication would fit into an FJ-45 without too much hassle.

It would also fit if you could find an HJ-75 (or FJ-75) but I'm guessing finding a LHD 70 series pickup isn't all that easy either.

Dan

Last edited:
It would be nice if RHD owners banded together and only bought all their insurance (home, business, toys, etc) from the companies that provide fair insurance for RHDs. There are enough of us in Canada that I am sure one company would be happy to bite if we could get people to agree.

If you go for the swap and have to have a pick-up, it would be sweet in an FJ45 or an HZJ75. There are a few of the LHD 75s around from the mines - but not many.

I always wanted a 45 with one in it. I put my vote hands down on that one. I loved that engine, the power, reliability, simplicity, everything but the parts support. If yours has cable lockers it could be nice to have those wider axles in a 45 too

great engine to put in what ever you want .. .another option out of 45 series it's 75 series ( or even better new 79 seriews which it mayb be complicated to found but got the idea .. )

a 75 series pickup with a 3b just came up on craigslist in vancouver. but wrong coast and for 12k. Sounds like a costly venture. if you love your 61 enough you could always convert it to LHD

a 75 series pickup with a 3b just came up on craigslist in vancouver. but wrong coast and for 12k. Sounds like a costly venture. if you love your 61 enough you could always convert it to LHD

I have seen this one 1988 toyota landcruiser bj 75 quite often here in Abbotsford. It is a nice looking rig. Greg may be able to say more about it.

Thanks for all the ideas guys ! Everyone is so helpful on this site. I am going to shoot for a 45 or 47 series. Truck would be ideal, but troopie would be cool too ! Then i can get it registared as antique & DOT can suck it.

twinotter600 - i only got PLPD for $500,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom