OIl Pan Has Become My Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to fill my radiator and I could hear it filling my oil pan as well. Head was done in the fall and ran flawlessly for months until put away. Could it be I did not have the right antifreeze content and the engine froze and cracked? I need help.

Pull the oil pan and side cover off the engine and add water to the radiator and see if you can see where it is leaking. It does not sound good.

I am in NH where the winter nice and cold. The motor is a 2F from 81' FJ60. I check pure water with my antifreeze tester and it said it was till 0 degrees. I knew I should not have bought it at walmart.

Remove the each spark plugs and Try blowing compressed air (90-100 psi) in to each cylinder pull the radiator cap and watch for bubbles, you can at least narrow it down.

The radiator will not fill-up. As I try to fill the radiator the oil pan goes up. Should I just keep on filling up the radiator until it is full? Seams like an awful amount of water to put in the engine. But if the motor is junk whats the issue I guess.

0 deg is way too low...thats only like 30% anti to water....you need at least 50-60% ... I run 60%

good thing is that there is alot of resouces by you in NH that will probably have another 2F to use

have you joined Yankee Toys yet?

BTW anything over 60% it runs reverse in the freezing point

sooo 95% anti to water would be a freezing point of 0deg as well

good diagram here:
Don't Fill Her Up with Antifreeze, Alaska Science Forum

680.jpg

I tested only water in a cup with my piece of S&*# antifreeze tester and had the 0 degrees reading that is probably why my antifreeze test was not accurate, thus freezing the block/head and cracking it. That will teach me to buy a antifreeze tester at wal-mart. Anyone know where to get a good 2f? cruiserparts.net is not a trustworthy source for this item in my experience/opinion. They do however supply great piece parts at great prices. I would rather just buy a rebuilt or good running 2f that rebuild one myself. Leave that meticulous work to an experienced person. I am only a backyard mechanic type.

I went to fill my radiator and I could hear it filling my oil pan as well. Head was done in the fall and ran flawlessly for months until put away. Could it be I did not have the right antifreeze content and the engine froze and cracked? I need help.

Was the radiator full when you put the rig away for the winter?

Does the oil level go up on the dipstick when you fill the radiator?

Was the radiator full when you put the rig away for the winter?

Does the oil level go up on the dipstick when you fill the radiator?

I thought it was I could be wrong though anything is possible. Yes the oil on the dip stick was reading higher and higher as I filled the radiator.

I may be onto something. When I got home tonight I pulled he valve cover to begin the tear down and much to my surprise I found 2 of the freeze plugs in the head under the cover popped off and the water was spilling out of the freeze plug whole and seemingly down into the oil galleys. As well as everything else. Should I just replace he freeze plugs and see where I sit?

I would check all the freeze plugs, drain all fluids, and refill and see where you're at.

You might escape unscathed...

Only found 3 plugs in relatively easy to reach locations that need to be replaced/re-installed. Found some plugs at a nearby NAPA. I am going to gets some 3M right stuff & give it a try. All I can do is hope for the best and expect the worst.I will report on it tonight when I install them. Do I need to let the right stuff set-up before putting it to the test? I would think the plugs mechanism would seal it good enough and the right stuff is just a reassurance?

Take and post some pictures, will help a lot of us who did not know there were freeze plugs under the valve cover. This is a very positive sign!!

I will get some pics up of the freeze plugs and respective locations but all is good so it seems. I replaced the freeze plugs refilled all fluids and all seems good. I will let you know as time goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom