Introduction / plans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders!

I'm posting this to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a few months while figuring out if the 80 series is right for me and then what to look for when buying used.

My background is that I bought my first off-road capable vehicle three years ago. It was a 1997 (3rd gen) 4Runner Limited with rear diff lock. It is a great truck and I had a lot of fun with it. Off road trails in So Cal, the whole of Baja, ski vehicle, home Depot, etc.

I basically did the Sonoran Steel System 7.2 lift, BFG A/T, and under armor to the 4Runner. I was just about to continue the build with front/rear bumpers, tire carrier, extra fuel tank, etc. when I discovered overlanding and my brother told me he wanted to buy a 4Runner.

So, the 4Runner was sold to my brother and the search commenced for an 80 series. I ended up buying a stock 1997 LX 450 with 195k miles for $5k. Pictures once I can post...

Good:

- From So Cal - no significant rust
- Looks as if it has never been off road
- Most maintenance records
- Interior in really good condition
- bit of wear on driver's seat
- one coffee stain on carpet
- Body in good condition
- front bumper dented (who cares!)
- two pea-sized rust spots
- scrapes on one plastic fender flare (who cares!)
- New pads and windshield

Bad:

- The truck basically sat for the last 4 years
- only 5k miles
- last oil change 4 years ago (it was relatively dark brown and nasty looking)
- coolant was dark and full of sediment
- Many oil leaks
- Only one car key
- Brakes really spongy

Neutral:

- No lockers but wanted ARB's anyway

So, what do I want to do with this truck?

I want to set this up for as an Expedition/Overlanding rig. This means not rock crawling or high-speed Baja 1000 desert running type stuff. My wife and I will be doing Copper Canyon (Mexico) this Fall, Central America in a few years, and around the world in 5-15 years?

Also of note, the ultimate plan is to pull one of the small Chaser trailers from Adventure Trailers. (Adventure Trailers - Chaser - TRAILERS) We will use this to carry our camp gear, cooking fuel, water, and power. The truck will primarily get us to (and especially from) place to place and be our sleeping quarters. We want the truck to carry all the stuff to make us go (spares, recovery gear, gas, etc).

Given the above, my LX 450 build will concentrate on reliability, durability, self-sufficiency, and to some extent light weight.

Here are my plans (roughly in order of how it will be done):

- Remove running boards, mud flaps, and extraneous trim – DONE
- Anyone want some of the running board trim pieces or mud flaps, they’re your for shipping
- Change all fluids - HALF-WAY DONE
- 255/85R16 KM2's - DONE
- Axel rebuild - Man-A-Fre
- ARB front and rear lockers and compressor - Man-A-Fre
- Rebuild brakes (or upgrade?) - Me
- Lift - for more load capacity (and some more tire clearance?) - Me
- Front bumper, non-winch, ARB? - Man-A-Fre
- Rear bumper with dual tire/wheel carrier, Kaymar? - Man-A-Fre
- Armor (sliders?, under armor plates?) - Man-A-Fre
- Dual battery - Me
- Infotainment - Me
- Lighting (driving, interior, and camp lights) - Me
- Extra fuel tank, 24 gallon - Man-A-Fre
- Engine rebuild (1FZ-FE?, 2UZ-FE retrofit) - Man-A-Fre/Slee
- Transmission rebuild/upgrade - Man-A-Fre

Of course, a lot of smaller maintenance/upgrades will be performed as required and time permits.

I guess I'll post a separate build thread in a week or so with the progress.

I would be happy and thankful to hear any advice or guidance anyone has for me!

Ryan

P.S. A gold star for anyone that knows to which movie my screen name refers...

First of all, WELCOME! :flipoff2:

Sounds like you have your work list all setup.

Are you removing the Front Fender Flares?
If you are, I'm in the need of a Front passanger side Flare.

I would pay shipping to Puerto Rico, with no problem.

I ran into my home's front gate a while back and cracked the flare.:eek:

My end project will be a Beach/Island Cruiser so Flares will stay on for now.

Plan looks good!

Oh - and Welcome :flipoff2:

From another lx owner welcome!

Plan sounds good for the 450

Orgazmo?

Ryan in GA

Welcome! It sounds like you have a bunch planned. If you have dogs, you may want to look at a rear barrier to help keep the leather intact:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/375018-wagonracks-80-series-barrier-new-version.html
or
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/408586-speski-off-road-cargo-barrier-write-up.html

I have been looking at these for interior storage too:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/303215-hanna-quality-interior-cargo-carriers.html

Also, I could use your passenger rear mudflap, as ours is now very dented.:beer:

Welcome!

Make sure you check out the SoCal80 section:

CA- SoCal 80's

There is a check in thread as well.

First of all, WELCOME! :flipoff2:

Are you removing the Front Fender Flares?
If you are, I'm in the need of a Front passanger side Flare.

great buy where are you from? ill take the running boards and the rear right hand flair im from orange county welcome to the addiction tnx

I won't be taking the fender flares off anytime soon (if ever). I do have the fender flare to running board/mud flap plastic pieces that are available. I'll take pics of what's available and post as soon as I can. 5 or 10 posts?

I did not offer up the running boards since they are a little rusted and will probably need painted. If you are interested anyway, contact me via PM (I'll send you one soon, too.)

Thanks for the welcomes!

I won't be taking the fender flares off anytime soon (if ever). I do have the fender flare to running board/mud flap plastic pieces that are available. I'll take pics of what's available and post as soon as I can. 5 or 10 posts?

Here is the picture of the parts I have available. I also have the left mud flap somewhere...
Running Board Flare Parts.jpg

great buy where are you from? ill take the running boards and the rear right hand flair im from orange county welcome to the addiction tnx

The running boards are pretty rusty. I'll try to post pics. I tried to PM you but I don't think I'm allowed yet...

Sounds like you have a good handle on things, looks like a nice rig! I recommend you do the front axle birfireld rebuild yourself, unless you are already very familiar with the birfields, it is not hard, just time consuming. My reasoning is that if you are going to be taking long trips to out of the way places, you will have peace of mind in having an intimate understanding of the birfields/axle and how everything goes together and operates. It was scary to me, but after having done it, I am no longer intimidated by the previously mysterious birfields.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things, looks like a nice rig! I recommend you do the front axle birfireld rebuild yourself, unless you are already very familiar with the birfields, it is not hard, just time consuming. My reasoning is that if you are going to be taking long trips to out of the way places, you will have peace of mind in having an intimate understanding of the birfields/axle and how everything goes together and operates. It was scary to me, but after having done it, I am no longer intimidated by the previously mysterious birfields.

I was originally planning to do the axle rebuild myself when I did the ARB locking diffs. Then, I read about pre-loads and stuff for the diff install and got a bit apprehensive. So, I figured I'd just let Man-A-Fre do the diffs and the axles while they had it all apart.

I'm pretty sure I could do the birfs. On my E36 M3, I installed a supercharger. So, maybe I am at a 3-bananna level? (is there such a thing?)

I do think the birfs will need to be done again before my big trips. So, I'll be able to learn the procedure before it gets critical...

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Ryan, Welcome to mud :flipoff2: . Saw you were planning on doing a lift, I have a pair of OME front springs "heavies" # 850? @2.5" if you are interested @ $100 for the pair they have about 4 years and 20,000 miles on them (all socal, mostly street/freeway some local trails, Calico n' dunes too) PM me if you are interested. I am in S.B. a few times a month for work if you would like to check them out, or if you make it down this way and I am availible to most weekends too.
:cheers: Cliff

Still want the PS mud flap?
Got you PM. Thanks. Sorry for the delay, as I have not been on the MUD for a while.

Thank you for the offer. Mine is all black (not painted) and so I don't think it will match up like I originally thought. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom