Front Axle Oil Seal Tool Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the seals on my front axle as it has blown out on the drivers side. The only thing I lack for this job is the tool for installing the oil seals in the axle. Does anyone have one that they would be willing to let me borrow? I have a UPS account and will pay shipping both ways. Any help with this will be truly appreciated!

Well you can buy a tool, someone could send you one, or you could find a 3" by 3" block of wood an use that.

I think a 2" PVC piece of pipe will knock it in.. not sure if the 2" is right but pretty sure.

I use to use the mallet head off of a croquett mallet. I do have a tool now

i bought a cheap driver set at harbor freight. i came with a bunch of different sizes. i think it was $30 or less for the kit. i've used it a bunch with pressing and driving races/seals.

A large diameter socket and extension that is the same size as the oil seal also works in a pinch.

Go to autozone and rent a bushing driver set there. It worked great for me after I messed up two inner axle seals with the wood block

Oh man, I totally forgot about the set at Harbor Freight. Going there now. Thanks.

mybirfjobb8.JPG

First and only time I've done the front axle service I used the US General (HF) set. I liked how one of the drivers fit the seal's rim without putting any pressure on the rubber lips.
Bearing Race Seal Driver set.gif
DSC00367.JPG
DSC00363.JPG

Last edited:
First and only time I've done the front axle service I used the US General (HF) set. I liked how one of the drivers fit the seal's rim without putting any pressure on the rubber lips.

I have a set exactly like that except all silver haha

i use a block of wood, just used it today as a matter of fact

I have never used any special tool... Well, actually I have tried a couple... and I always go back to using a drift and a hammer. Much easier to install this way in my experience.

Mark...

I have never used any special tool... Well, actually I have tried a couple... and I always go back to using a drift and a hammer. Much easier to install this way in my experience.

Mark...

how about races same technique?

have used brass drifts for most everything, as the ends get curved over from use I will normally used the grinder to cut a small slice off of the brass with a grinder cut wheel so that I have a nice angled edge again, especially when driving in races.....

how about races same technique?

For me... yes. :)

I also use non-hardened steel drifts often. They hold up better than brass but still will not hurt races and stuff unless you get stupid with them.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom