pulling a 72 T case, seals & gaskets a one day project? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landcruiseroftheday.com
Hey All,

Got in my transfer case gasket kit and seals...do you think it's possible for two guys to drop it, replace all the gaskets, in/out seals and reinstall in one day? Not a full rebuild..just getting rid of the leaks...The reason I ask is my step dad (solid mechanic) is offering to help me out with it and I need to drive about 1 hour away to his shop to do the work....don't wanna get stuck there if we can't finish it in a long day:doh:

if not...I may drop it at home and take it up there to do the works etc.

Thoughts? experiences?

Thanks,
Benjamin

It took me about 5 hours alone and a lot of that was cleaning all the oil and dirt from the case. You will need a puller to remove the t case from the output shaft. I have read that some have luck with it coming off easy, not in my experience. Also be careful when reinstalling, the rear output shaft seal is mounted on the tcase and is easily damaged. Other than that it is a simple job, enjoy.

It took me about 5 hours alone and a lot of that was cleaning all the oil and dirt from the case. You will need a puller to remove the t case from the output shaft. I have read that some have luck with it coming off easy, not in my experience. Also be careful when reinstalling, the rear output shaft seal is mounted on the tcase and is easily damaged. Other than that it is a simple job, enjoy.

oh...one more important detail I forgot....I have a T350 3 speed auto trans / adapter plate / transfer case....same deal with the puller??

Same puller - and yeah, sometimes you get lucky and they come right off. If your conversion used a engine/transmission mount that bolts to the back of the t-case you need to figure a little time and material to jack up and support the transmission. Don't rely on a hydraulic jack to hold it up, use good cribbing.

Same puller - and yeah, sometimes you get lucky and they come right off. If your conversion used a engine/transmission mount that bolts to the back of the t-case you need to figure a little time and material to jack up and support the transmission. Don't rely on a hydraulic jack to hold it up, use good cribbing.

Good thinking!!! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom