My lurking days are over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I joined this forum, I figured I would be getting a cruiser sooner rather than later (sometime in October). Well that didn’t happen. Though I bought this truck at the end of November, it didn’t arrive until mid January. My cousin, who is also a mudder, was the one that found it and test-drove it for me (the truck was in San Diego and I’m in north Florida). He helped out a lot through the entire process, and I’ve learned a lot from him. Thanks 1tontoy!

Before I go any further, I would like to also thank the rest of you guys that contribute to this forum. I’ve looked at tons of old threads and have been able to work through many of my truck’s issues thus far. This forum is AMAZING, and without it I would probably be in way over my head. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll be able to contribute something constructive to this forum.

Now for my truck: It’s an 87 with about 207k on it. It has OME lift, shackle reversal, 33 12.50 Mickey Thompson baja mud terrains, Wilderness roof rack with 4 KC day lighters (currently removed) and Flowmaster exhaust. It has been a pretty good truck but does show its age every once in awhile. All the issues thus far have been minor and easily fixed in an afternoon. Unfortunately, those days are over. I discovered last weekend I’ve got a blown head gasket. At this point, I just hope that it’s just a head gasket. If it ends up being more serious than that, I guess I’m just gonna have to swap in a diesel :). It’s too bad that 2h and h55f in Gainsville is sold. Wish me luck!
DSCN1512.jpg
DSCN1509.jpg
DSCN1510.jpg

Nice 60. Similar paint scheme to mine, but yours looks cooler w lift and tires. Enjoy.
HPIM0341.jpg

Nice! Hard to tell from the pics, but that doesn't look like a shackle reversal to me. I dig the graphics :eek:

Nice truck! Get that head off and slap on a new head gasket!

If your head is in poor shape take it to a machine shop and get it re-worked. It will help.

Looks like a Mazdaspeed 3 snuck into the first pic. Nice car as well ;)

Definitely no Shackle reversal, but a nice cruiser.

About the what to do with it,
If you have a lot of time but not a ton of $$$: Do the head gasket.
If you have a lot of $$$ and no time you might want to look into shops for the conversion.
If you have some of both do it yourself.:D

Definitely no Shackle reversal, but a nice cruiser.

About the what to do with it,
If you have a lot of time but not a ton of $$$: Do the head gasket.
If you have a lot of $$$ and no time you might want to look into shops for the conversion.
If you have some of both do it yourself.:D

:doh: Yep you guys are right. I still got a lot to learn, so thanks for pointing that out. They're MAF shackle extensions.

Thanks for the complements too. The paints seen better days, but I could careless. It's actually one of my favorite parts about this cruiser.

Point taken regarding the time/money situation too. I've got some $$$ saved up but not enough for a engine swap right now. Work has been slower than expected too i.e. more time than money.

Nice truck! If you do rework the head, you might look into planeing it .050. We have 2 done that way. Might be different at near sea level than at 5000 feet where we are, but I think it gives the 2 F a little more pop.

Have fun in my old home town. Left there in 1966!

You might talk to FJ40 Jim about building a cylinder head for you. He can get one shaved, port polished, larger valves, and stronger springs. Probably run you more money, but likely not too bad when you factor what you will be spending locally for a workup by Gomer or Bubba. Maybe more downtime.

Nice truck! If you do rework the head, you might look into planeing it .050. We have 2 done that way. Might be different at near sea level than at 5000 feet where we are, but I think it gives the 2 F a little more pop.

Have fun in my old home town. Left there in 1966!

You might talk to FJ40 Jim about building a cylinder head for you. He can get one shaved, port polished, larger valves, and stronger springs. Probably run you more money, but likely not too bad when you factor what you will be spending locally for a workup by Gomer or Bubba. Maybe more downtime.

Those aren't bad ideas. I really need to do some research just to see how much work I want/can to put into this engine. I'm going on a road trip this summer to Wyoming, and given the current state of my cruiser, I'd like to do this right so that I can drive her out there. I knew she would need a lot of work to get to that point, but I wasn't sure if I had the time to get her ready for that kind of trip. Now I don't really have an option.

Those aren't bad ideas. I really need to do some research just to see how much work I want/can to put into this engine. I'm going on a road trip this summer to Wyoming, and given the current state of my cruiser, I'd like to do this right so that I can drive her out there. I knew she would need a lot of work to get to that point, but I wasn't sure if I had the time to get her ready for that kind of trip. Now I don't really have an option.

I hope it all works out the way you want it, but JMHO, if you're going to do a road trip of that duration, I think you'd enjoy the diesel.
The fuel economy alone could save you a bundle (yeah, I know it's cost a bundle, but...)
And if you do it right, you'll have the option of alternative fuel sources.

Just a thought.

All the best.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom