Stereo junk placement in a 60... Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the po had some kind of super stereo system installed in my 85. The amps are mounted on the ds rear seat back and are preventing me from installing 1/2 of my wet okole seat cover. They protrude from an otherwise flat cargo area when the rear seat is folded as well. Theres also a massive sub box thing in the trunk area which takes up too much room.

Tacogrille016-1.jpg

Tacogrille017-1.jpg

Ive never been a car stereo dork and dont really see the point of all this crap in my van. Since I wouldnt make much cash if I were to try and sell this junk a couple buddies are trying to convince me to keep it so I figured Id post and see what my options are and what others have done to hide said crap.

Option 1 would be to mount the amps under the rear seat. It looks like there would be enough room and I shouldnt have to mess with the wiring too much since they wouldnt be moving too far from where they are now. I would then have a flat floor when the seat is folded and could throw on that cover. If I ever needed more room I could take the sub box out so thats not that big of a deal.

Option 2 sell the whole shebang to some ricer including the head unit/nav and pick up a normal person head unit.

While it does sound decent I enough, I listen to older punk rock mostly (which tends to sound like ass no matter the stereo) and I dont really think Id miss it.

So what would you do?

D

You'll have enough room under the seats for the amps. That's where I have mine. Plus thieves can see that stuff plain as day. Agreed the box is to big and takes up to much space but is easy to remove.

If it was me, I would move the amps under the seat get a smaller size sub and mount it to the back seat which leaves you more cargo room and the amps out of site. But I'm a stereo "dork". With that said, from the sounds of it, you really don't want the crap I don't know what brand the sub is but the amps are JL Audio and should fetch a decent amount of money via resale.

I'd lose all of it. If you put the amps under the seat, you may not be able to fold it down, which is one of the great things about the 60 series, the huge flat floored cargo area. Put some nice speakers in the front doors and you wont have to worry about your rig getting broken into.

I would mount the amps under your driver seat and one behind one of your rear panels, get a smaller sub that is removeable and call it good. But i am a sound nerd too. I love good music on a nice system.

ditch it. unless you're a gang star you'd probably be happier with just a set of high quality door speakers anyway.

You can also sell that sub and go with a better, smaller sub like a JL 8W7 in a sealed enclosure. They take up very little room and sound amazing.

A bit off topic... post up some pics of the installed seat covers if you can, including the rear bench if you bought covers for that as well. I am interested in seeing the fitment of the okoles.

You should send me your wet okole seat covers and keep your buddies happy. It's not worth losing a friendship over.

You can also mount the amps in the rear side spaces. If you wiggle then inbetween the existing bracing you can mount them directly to them. I would consider just one amp becasue on the Passenger side you have all the vent tubes for the fuel lines and I'm just a wuss when it comes to putting fuel and amps together. Or sell them both get a black dog from rescue and crank up the mike ness. That's what I do

I'd lose all of it. If you put the amps under the seat, you may not be able to fold it down, which is one of the great things about the 60 series, the huge flat floored cargo area. Put some nice speakers in the front doors and you wont have to worry about your rig getting broken into.

This person has never put an amp under the rear seat. They fit and it will fold down... I have done it

ditch it. unless you're a gang star you'd probably be happier with just a set of high quality door speakers anyway.

This person has no idea what they are talking about. High quality door speakers will sound like walmart door speakers without proper amplification. A normal headunit puts out a measly ~15 watts. High qaulity component speakers require ~100 watts to sing. Otherwise might as well flush you money down the sewer.

You can also sell that sub and go with a better, smaller sub like a JL 8W7 in a sealed enclosure. They take up very little room and sound amazing.

The W7 driver is extremely deep and will require just as much space as the subwoofer he has now (i'm guessing w3 or w6). Going to a shallow mount driver, or custom mounting a subwoofer into the rear panel is a better option.

To the OP, you have some nice equipment there. Dont do a fire sale. You should keep the amplifiers and mount them under the seat... and lose the bulky subwoofer enclosure. If you want a subwoofer (and ther're not just for "ricers" or "gang stars" they fill the lowest audible musical octave) you should build your own custom enclosure to suit your needs and space requirements.

Dont listen to ignorance . . .

But if you dont know what you've got, and dont care.... you might as well give it away to someone who will appreciate it.

cheers

Ive got subs in my 60 but I'm a music dork. When I rock the metal/hardcore it's fantastic, when I'm listening to pennywise, bad religion, social distortion, etc... don't make a bit of difference! Sounds like their more of a pain to you anyway, sell them and get some sweet stickers to let the world know how cool you are...

Thats exactly the point, I dont really care enough to appreciate whatever it is Ive got in the 60. Im honestly satisfied with the stock 18 year old speakers in my 80 and the 11 year old speakers in my tacoma. They both do have half assed after market head units in them. The 60 does have newer door/rear cargo area speakers that were fine when I had the sub box out so Im thinkin I can live with those alone and probably dont need the amps to power 4 speakers. I know nothing about stereos so I may be wrong.

My buddy who owns a 4x4 shop heard I might be ditching all that stuff and offered to build my rear tire carrier/1/4 protection in trade for the stereo. Im thinking if he threw in a front bumper Id be considering it.

Okoles.

37s014.jpg

37s015.jpg

D

subs you don't want for a the tire carrier and 1/4 protection? that sounds like a deal to me man, I like my subs and I would make that trade!

Sounds like a good trade to me. Also get some rock sliders worked into the deal if you can. I'm like you a sound system is not much to me. I'd rather have a good high lift jack, up graded headlights, or something else cool.

Yeah, the van already has all that steel junk hangin off it except for the tire carrier and 1/4 protection. I cant stand the arb in the front which is why Ive wanted to do something up since I got it. Im thinking a metal tech looking something or other.

Tacogrille006-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

D

Thats exactly the point, I dont really care enough to appreciate whatever it is Ive got in the 60. Im honestly satisfied with the stock 18 year old speakers in my 80 and the 11 year old speakers in my tacoma. They both do have half assed after market head units in them. The 60 does have newer door/rear cargo area speakers that were fine when I had the sub box out so Im thinkin I can live with those alone and probably dont need the amps to power 4 speakers. I know nothing about stereos so I may be wrong.

My buddy who owns a 4x4 shop heard I might be ditching all that stuff and offered to build my rear tire carrier/1/4 protection in trade for the stereo. Im thinking if he threw in a front bumper Id be considering it.

Okoles.

37s014.jpg

37s015.jpg

D

Nice seat covers. What brand are they? Remember where you got them?

Thx

Thanks for posting up darwink1, they look great! I wish the fitment on the rear bottom covered the entire bench but oh well.

I have been all over the place in regards to seating - cover the old or replace the fronts with procars then have the rear recovered to match the procars. I think the cheaper route will be covers and the Okoles look great.

The covers are wet okoles and you can order them online. I think theyre made in hawaii.

Yeah the fronts fit great but the rear one I have to mess around with a bit to get it to fit better. I kind of stalled out there when I remembered that those stupid amps were in the way.

It was something like 550$ for the 2 front covers and the rear bench cover delivered to my door and in all honesty these are the only covers Id ever consider. Ive had them in my tacoma for about 5 years now and they still fit as tight as the day I put them in (most other covers that I see are all loose and look like ass from day 1). There is a layer of foam under the neoprene and that helps to revitalize your old assed seats as well. Theyre also freaking great if youre like me and wheel with a wet muddy dog that could care less about your interior.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom