My first 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I have been a member here for a few years, but just bought my first 80 in March while I was on R&R from Afghanistan. I had a 2010 Tundra and got rid of it and bought my wife a Prius. My reward was the 80. I have had many other Toyota's in the past...Tacoma's, 4Runner's, and FJ Cruiser, which I liked pretty well.

I looked at a few and decided on this 1997 40th. It is unlocked and stock, but otherwise well cared for. Although the PO did hit something with the front bumper, which gave me a reason to get the ARB replacement faster.

Since returning from the Stan, I have been base lining. I am about 60% complete (I just did the fuel filter today, good times).

Anyway, thought I would finally introduce myself. I have learned much already. Thanks

Mat

http://
IMG_0370.jpg

:cheers:

Clean 80.

What are your plans for it?

Mat very nice 80, looks very clean WELCOME :flipoff2:

nice!

congrats.

:cheers:

Clean 80.

What are your plans for it?

Thanks. Plans? I am looking at making it into an all around, trail, daily driver capable rig. It most likely won’t be my daily driver since I have a 27 mile drive. I already have a lift, tires and ARB waiting to go on as time permits.

Thanks for your SERVICE!

madbomer,

I slept very comfortably last night. No threats from foriegn armys or terrorist. My children woke up this morning and went to school in peace. All because of you and your band of brothers who make it so:cheers: THANK YOU:)

Great looking 80 - you choose very well! Great plans for the mods given your objectives. I noticed that you are unlocked on your diffs. I had ARB air lockers put on - they work great however are rarely used. Unless you really just gotta have em you might just try going without lockers. Toyota built these machines to go in rough terrain. I am blown away by what I am able to do without the lockers. If having to make a hard choice between a winch or lockers. I would go with a winch first!

Welcome home!:clap: Welcome back to MUD!

Post the pics once the mods are made:wrench:

Welcome back, its refreshing to switch from the Prius to the Cruiser isn't it?
When we drive my wife's Prius we get no respect. When we're in the cruiser its a different story.

You’re very welcome. I have a very small unit compared to most in the Army, and my guys do great things. I am proud of them and they work hard. Thanks for the support.
Good advice about the winch. That will be on long before the lockers. I already have the bumper, just trying to decide on the winch. Most likely will be the Warn 12k. I also have to finish the 2nd battery install. I have the tray ready to go and the water bottle moved. I just have to get the wiring an extra battery.

madbomer,

I slept very comfortably last night. No threats from foriegn armys or terrorist. My children woke up this morning and went to school in peace. All because of you and your band of brothers who make it so:cheers: THANK YOU:)

Great looking 80 - you choose very well! Great plans for the mods given your objectives. I noticed that you are unlocked on your diffs. I had ARB air lockers put on - they work great however are rarely used. Unless you really just gotta have em you might just try going without lockers. Toyota built these machines to go in rough terrain. I am blown away by what I am able to do without the lockers. If having to make a hard choice between a winch or lockers. I would go with a winch first!

Welcome home!:clap: Welcome back to MUD!

Post the pics once the mods are made:wrench:

Welcome back, its refreshing to switch from the Prius to the Cruiser isn't it?
When we drive my wife's Prius we get no respect. When we're in the cruiser its a different story.

Respect? Around here people care less as they are crazy drivers. Military towns tend to be like that. I like driving the Prius, but my wife does not like me doing so. I drive it like a race care, a fast golf cart race car. It’s funny, after I bought the 80, she was driving it around all the time because she can see everything and it sits higher. No kidding.

You wouldn't happen to be part of one of those "green" units stationed up there. Buddy of mine spent some time up there and his brother was an instructor at SWIC and a few other places. Thank you for service.

Nope, EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), basically the Army bomb squad. I see your in Huntsville. I used to be stationed at RSA when I was a instructor. Part of EOD school for soldiers was there.

Nice wheels!!

Kinda funny. I'm currently in Afghanistan JUST bought the exact same truck. 40th antique sage... Be home in July to start Building!!

Be safe man, and get home to mod your 80. I just finished baselining, except for brakes. That PHH was a PIA as everyone said. All good now though.

Kinda funny. I'm currently in Afghanistan JUST bought the exact same truck. 40th antique sage... Be home in July to start Building!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom