Looking for Hydroboost kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Is anyone aware of a hydroboost conversoin kit for an FJ40? Preferably with the Astro van booster.
Peter

I'm not aware of any kit. You'll most likely have to do your own fab work.

I just compared the hydroboost on my Astro van to the one on my 94 K2500 with the 6.5 diesel. The Astro booster is built on a slight downhill angle which will require a master reservoir that will accomodate that angle to keep the fluid from spilling. The Astro masters are the only ones I am aware of made to work on an angle and I don't know the bore size of the master. Something to check out.

The hydro booster on my pickup mounts perfectly horizontal which might open up the field for other masters than the pickup master. I don't know the bore size of this one either.

Hopefully this info will help you with your decision making. If you do swap to a hydroboost take pics and do a write up on it. I am hoping to eventually do the hydroboost in my 40 when I swap to a diesel.

Don

Is anyone aware of a hydroboost conversoin kit for an FJ40? Preferably with the Astro van booster.
Peter

What's the advantage of the Astro unit over the common GM style off an 80's Chebby truck? I'm running a unit off a CUCV military truck, reflowed by powerbrakes hydroboosts vacuum boosters everything for your extreme braking needs for hydro-assist steering. You need to drill 2 mounting holes in the firewall, cut the plunger, run a die over it to hold the nut/ brass ubolt that mounts to the pedal. On my 40, I had to fab up a spacer plate cuz the plunger depth to pedal distance was too deep even after I cut it all the way down. You may not need to do this if your measurement is closer than what you see in the 2nd pic. Didn't need to do that on the :pig:
DSC00682.JPG
DSC00685.JPG
DSC00873.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. My understanding from my searching is that there are years the astro unit was level and either very similar to or exactly the same as the pickup units in those years.

Thanks for the link, I had found that posting in my search, but since they didn't list the FJ40 unit in the lower section I lost faith - I'll send them an email. I'd rather have someone else do the fab work.

Peter

Mopdog---thanks for the link. I just finished reading through the whole site and there is some good info there.

Don

Tony ... I'm working with Jim at Hydrotech on a specific FJ40 system.
They make all the HB systems for ICON on their Aqualu tubs (different spacing et.) I have given them the dimensions for OEM 40 specs and they are sending me their 1st one next week.

Email Jim if you have any questions, let him know you were talking to me (tell him Steve building the 2 FJ's)
jim@hydratechbraking.com

Cheers
Steve

are they going to accommodate the notorious 'rib' on my 66's firewall?

Tony ... I'm working with Jim at Hydrotech on a specific FJ40 system.
They make all the HB systems for ICON on their Aqualu tubs (different spacing et.) I have given them the dimensions for OEM 40 specs and they are sending me their 1st one next week.

Email Jim if you have any questions, let him know you were talking to me (tell him Steve building the 2 FJ's)
jim@hydratechbraking.com

Cheers
Steve

Excellent! Thank you for the info Steve

It's always nice to have more options especially when vacuum boosters can be hard to come by from time to time.

nice thing about Toyota was they used the same pattern on Toyota trucks and Cruisers until the 100 series.
I like using late 80's truck and 4runner. It's a bolt up although sometimes a little wider requiring you space the booster
out about 3/8 to clear the clutch master flange

Hi, @Tony_Farson how did you go with your brakes ? Did Jim sell you a kit ?

He did! It is in a box on the shelf waiting to go on my project... EVERYTHING is waiting to go onto my project!

IMG_20190607_200534.jpg

One thing that is concerning me is I have seen several videos of trucks on trails stalling and just rolling backwards down a hill and I am curious if having my brakes tied to power steering with a manual transmission (easier to stall than automatic) is a bad thing. How does hydroboost work when stalled? Will the brakes hold?

One thing that is concerning me is I have seen several videos of trucks on trails stalling and just rolling backwards down a hill and I am curious if having my brakes tied to power steering with a manual transmission (easier to stall than automatic) is a bad thing. How does hydroboost work when stalled? Will the brakes hold?

This is from Jim's Website

Q: What is the nitrogen reserve / accumulator cylinder and what are its benefits?

A: The bottle on the side of most hydraulic brake assist units is referred to as an accumulator or nitrogen reserve. This stores up hydraulic power steering pressure in the event of an engine stall condition, to provide reserve brake assist power for up to 3 applications of the brake, similar to how a vacuum booster would function in an engine stall condition. Upon the first application of the brakes after an engine stall, you would find approximately 60 - 75% of the normal assist available, then if you were to release and apply the brakes again, you would find approximately 30 - 40% assist, then again approximately 10 - 20%, until you have depleted all stored reserve assist. Once you have depleted all of the stored pressure, the brakes will no longer have power assist and will be manual in their operations. The minute you start the vehicle back up again, the accumulator gets filled back up with pressurized ps fluid again and is ready to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom