Wet floor passenger and driver?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What could be the culprit in a 89 land cruiser if the floor is wet? I just bought a 89 land cruiser, red, and brought her home and pulled up the plastic cover mats and now noticed they are wet.....any ideas?

For me the culprit is the windshield seal. It leaks at the corners, runs behind the dash, down the firewall and onto the floor.

For me the culprit is the windshield seal. It leaks at the corners, runs behind the dash, down the firewall and onto the floor.

yeah I was reading the thread on it...thats odd though it looks like a big square though...if it leaked down would it be a path of wetness??? someone mentioned the A/C unit casuing condensation....

I chased a water leak for a while as well. Mine was leaking from inside the engine bay. If you raise the hood and look back to the firewall, you will see an opening on each side where the hood hinge resesses (spelling?) and right below that is a bit of a shelf that runs the width of the firewall. that whole shelf and the 2 hinge openings have weather sealant and mine was visably cracked and worn. Above the hinge opening and shelf there is a rubber weather strip as well. This too, was in pretty bas shape, so what was happening, was water was getting around the rubber weather strip and going down the firewall, and getting inside through all of the cracked and damaged areas of that shelf. Being as that it is a bit of a shelf, it allows water to stand in place long enough to find the flaws in the sealant. To repair, I bought a tube of 3m weather sealant (NOT SILICONE) and just went overtop of everything I could see, I went all around the hinge openings and the width of the firewall. All has been dry since then (knock on wood) Here are 2 pics that give a general idea of what I am talking about. Hopefuly it makes sense. Good luck.
hood3.GIF
hood2.gif

Also reseal the rain gutters over the doors and down the front to the hood 3M sealant 08505, not silicon! MIke

Also reseal the rain gutters over the doors and down the front to the hood 3M sealant 08505, not silicon! MIke

Please educate the ignorant. What adverse effect does silicone have on your weatherstrip, paint, body, etc. ?

I also had a leak there. Problem was the mentioned above, and a rust hole behind the wiper motor, but also the opening where the ventilation system gets its air. When I removed my fan, I saw that the edges of the opening above it where rusted through. Normally the edges are curled upward, so the rain water flows around the opening, but now the water just flowed in my fan.
I repaired it veeeeeeery professionally with a few strips made of a coca cola can and some two component steel epoxy.:D
HJ60 90.jpg

I chased a similar water leak in my HJ61 no too long ago. I read about windscreen seals, gutters, vent leaking, a/c condensation..... The list goes on! It was driving me nuts!! I took the front quarter panel off and found that the sealant was pretty well shot so I cleaned it up and ran a new bead of seam sealant let it dry and tested it, it came out dry. Well, when we had the next downpour and I went out to the car I found ..... WET CARPET AGAIN!:mad::bang::mad: So off came the the front quarter panel again and the water drain pipe (from the vented area) and I ran some water then realised that the bottom of the drain opening has a lip, behind that lip is a join in the shell that had no sealant and was also out of sight! I cleaned her up and sealed it then popped the water drain pipe back on and....... Wola!! No more leak!!! :bounce: What was happening was the water was draining out but because of a small opening between the drain pipe and the frame, the water was following the lip (Like a U turn) and entering through the exposed join and straight down the back of the kick panel then wetting the carpet.

I'm sorry for the long winded story but I hope that this helps you find the culprit. I didn't take any pics at the time cos I couldn't find my camera but if you have some I'd be happy to draw and repost what I'm talking about.

Good Luck!

P.S I also used soapy water on the outside with air on the inside and the second time it showed up a treat.

Oh, I forgot a hole. A rusted through spot between the right quarter panel and the 'tunnel' between the hood and the wind shield. Also repaired with a strip of a coca cola can and some steel epoxy:D

I chased a similar water leak in my HJ61 no too long ago. I read about windscreen seals, gutters, vent leaking, a/c condensation..... The list goes on! It was driving me nuts!! I took the front quarter panel off and found that the sealant was pretty well shot so I cleaned it up and ran a new bead of seam sealant let it dry and tested it, it came out dry. Well, when we had the next downpour and I went out to the car I found ..... WET CARPET AGAIN!:mad::bang::mad: So off came the the front quarter panel again and the water drain pipe (from the vented area) and I ran some water then realised that the bottom of the drain opening has a lip, behind that lip is a join in the shell that had no sealant and was also out of sight! I cleaned her up and sealed it then popped the water drain pipe back on and....... Wola!! No more leak!!! :bounce: What was happening was the water was draining out but because of a small opening between the drain pipe and the frame, the water was following the lip (Like a U turn) and entering through the exposed join and straight down the back of the kick panel then wetting the carpet.

I'm sorry for the long winded story but I hope that this helps you find the culprit. I didn't take any pics at the time cos I couldn't find my camera but if you have some I'd be happy to draw and repost what I'm talking about.

Good Luck!

P.S I also used soapy water on the outside with air on the inside and the second time it showed up a treat.

I think those down pipes do more bad than good. On the advice of my body shop friend, I left mine off. The top part is not sealed, so water runs out there anyway, and the small pipe plugs easily with the small leaves and dirt that find a way to get in there.

I love long storys it helps explain things and also short stories...I wnat to find this so called leak...I want to get it cleaned up and go from there.....its dry right now. I think the guy could of washed it down and then drove it to me...I hope thats just the case instead of some air condition unit getting it wet or something....im gonna start my investigation today and clean the vehicle out. im gonna post some pics now....

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom