Do I just need a carb adjustment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to Jeep fest today at Dallas Market Hall. Drove about an hour each way, the 40 drove great all the way there. Pegged 60 the whole way(even blew by a lady doing 45 in her 7 series BMW). But when I was arriving, I had to stop at a light on the service road and she started sputtering real bad and tried to die. Fortunately the light turned green and I was able to gas out of it.

On the way home same thing, drove great all the way home but when I came to a stop at the light by the house it tried to die on me again. This time i pulled my choke about about 25% and it idled right back up like it never had any issue. Pushed the choke back in and it tried to dye again???

Why would I need to pull my choke out after the jeep was warm? Do I just need a carb adjustment? I also have noticed in the past that if I have my choke out just a hair I have more torque and throttle response?

This is on a 72' 40 with the original F motor with what I believe to be the stock carb(from what I can tell).

sounds to me the float level is off...or the pump is not keeping up

had the carb ever been rebuilt since you had it?

do you have a glass sight window on the outside of the carb? when its doing this...do you see the fuel level? or is it below the glass?

eeekk you called it a J^%$P :eek:

:D

The choke adjusts the mixture but it also increases the idle speed. If the only problem is at idle, you may solve it by enriching your idle mixture(backing out the screw). But you say that it runs better at speed with a little choke. You may have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the mixture to be too lean.

Adjust the idle speed and idle fuel mixture using the lean drop method described in the FSM until it idles at 650 RPM.

Check your lines first,

When a fuel mixture changes it is a mechanical issue most times check your rubber lines to the carb or pvc valve. If they are in place then it is time to check the basics (ie) spark plug wires etc. Then it is time to look at the carb.

Good luck

Thanks guys, I may try to spray a little carb cleaner around the Carb to see if I have some kind of a vacuum leak. I think its either a carb adjustment or a vacuum leak causing the issue. It just seems weird that it only starts choking and sputtering like that when its real warm. I want to have the confidence in her to be able to drive longer distances for future camping trips.

Adjust the idle speed and idle fuel mixture using the lean drop method described in the FSM until it idles at 650 RPM.
What is this method?

only happens when warm...or only after a long trip?

It was only happening after a long trip? But this morning it appears to be getting worse, hardly got it warm and it started acting up again? I'll try to look at the float level today.

Forgot to mention, I also got HORRIBLE gas mileage when I dove it this weekend. If im doing the math correctly Im getting about 7-8 mpg on the freeway at 60. That being said I still have the factory 3 spd set up with stock gears. If im hitting 60 and hit any kind of an incline (or wind) I drop back to 55 pretty quick.

ok, I sprayed carb cleaner all over this damn thing and in every conceivable crack, never got any change in the rpms at all. Hopefully this knocks out the vacuum leak? The PO rebuilt the carb last year and all my hoses are new as well.

I tried to look at my sight glass and its black...almost like the PO painted the inside???

I guess the next step would be to try to tune it but I have no idea honestly where to begin.... Can somone try to elaborate on the lean drop method for Platypus and I? I tried to look it up in my Haynes but don't see anything and I don't have the FSM.

Thanks for your helps guys, I couldn't get it to tune so I finally took it to a shop and they told me the carb was bad.....I guess I'll just replace while Im replacing the water pump.

What a labor of love!

I tore through the Haynes manual and I think it is in greek. I didnt learn doohickey.
ok, I sprayed carb cleaner all over this **** thing and in every conceivable crack, never got any change in the rpms at all. Hopefully this knocks out the vacuum leak? The PO rebuilt the carb last year and all my hoses are new as well.

I tried to look at my sight glass and its black...almost like the PO painted the inside???

I guess the next step would be to try to tune it but I have no idea honestly where to begin.... Can somone try to elaborate on the lean drop method for Platypus and I? I tried to look it up in my Haynes but don't see anything and I don't have the FSM.

ok, I sprayed carb cleaner all over this damn thing and in every conceivable crack, never got any change in the rpms at all. Hopefully this knocks out the vacuum leak? The PO rebuilt the carb last year and all my hoses are new as well.

Do you have a vacuum guage? It helps quite a bit in getting things dialed in and you can figure out if you have a leak or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom