My FJ-60 reBjorn with new suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With new legs my FJ-60 also gets a new name. Now she/he is now Bjorn. ReBjorn and Bjorn free. :flipoff2:

Woke up this morning to grey skies but no rain. Rover67 came over around 8:30 and we got started. My other helpers bailed. Still have a fridge full of burgers, brats and beer they missed out on. Gonna have to schedule a second party for doing things like installing the extended brake lines, TRE's, etc.

The setup is OME medium springs and u bolts, MAF anti-inversion shackles (1 1/2" over stock), Doetsch Tech Prerunner shocks. Pins and bushings, are all from MAF.

Started by jacking things up.

IMG_0661.jpg

Torched the hanger pins to get the bushings out.

IMG_0665.jpg

Got the first spring on.

IMG_0666.jpg

Putting on new shocks.

IMG_0669.jpg

8 3/4" of travel.

IMG_0670.jpg

Front end done. It went easy.

IMG_0667.jpg

Front done with the rear looking all saggy.

IMG_0671.jpg

Starting on the rear.

IMG_0672.jpg

More bushing removal.

IMG_0674.jpg

Used the torch to cut one of the bolts off.

IMG_0677.jpg

Red hot bolt.

IMG_0679.jpg

Cutting off rear shackle. Exhaust pipe was in the way. This job would have been impossible without Rover67 and his oxy-acetylene torch. :cheers:

IMG_0681.jpg

Rear springs on.

IMG_0675.jpg

We got everything on finally. We had to take off the driveshaft to get the rear axle to seat on the springs. Rover67 had to take off so I had to put the driveshaft back on and torque everything down. Took about 7 hours with just the two of us.

I took Bjorn for a spin to break in the springs a bit. :steer: The shocks I bought for the rear were too long so I was cruising without them. I foolishly took the advice of the Doetsch Tech salesperson instead of going with the shocks I knew would work. :bang: It didn't really matter as far as the ride was concerned. Bumps that used to be bone jarring were soaked up like they didn't exist. Of course my steering wheel is 45 degrees to the right but that is expected.

Still need to put on new tie rod ends, steering stabilizer and extended brake lines. Will also need to extend my axle breathers.

So here are the pics. Need a better poser rock. Wasn't even close to stuffing the front tires.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

My saggy rear end is gone! No more 1 1/2" until hitting my bumpstops.

IMG_0709.jpg

Safety is out the window!

IMG_0681.jpg

Hey kids, when doing this at home please use Safety Glasses! Good write up and great pictures! I just got my OME on yesterday. The springs are a little stiff in the rear.

looks great, sorry I had to bail (see saginaw conversion frustration!) Third part of my steering system to grenade...

How many times have you gone out to look at it?:D It will be like that for a while.

looks great, sorry I had to bail (see saginaw conversion frustration!) Third part of my steering system to grenade...

How many times have you gone out to look at it?:D It will be like that for a while.

Despite the rain I keep stepping outside to admire the new stance. Hopefully things dry off tomorrow so I can re-torque everything without getting soaked.

The ride is already such an improvement. Can't imagine what it will be like with new TRE's, steering stabilizer and sway bar if I decide to remount it. Not to mention the stainless brake lines.

We had to take off the driveshaft to get the rear axle to seat on the springs. Rover67 had to take off so I had to put the driveshaft back on and torque everything down.

I think the trick to that is to just remove the grease zerk in the driveshaft slip yoke.

Looks nice! You will love the new suspension!

IMG_0681.jpg

Hey kids, when doing this at home please use Safety Glasses! Good write up and great pictures! I just got my OME on yesterday. The springs are a little stiff in the rear.

X2 on wearing safety glasses. A couple of years ago, I had to get a piece of metal drilled out of my eye. Then had to make a return trip because rust formed, and I had to get that drilled out. Ihave hurt myself many times thoughout my life including running a skill saw down the middle of my finger splitting it in half. None of my previous injuries compare to the pain that I had with my eye. PLEASE, PLEASE wear glasses.

Looks great.

Just wait until you do some light wheeling. You will be super impressed with the ride and flex(as compared with old saggy springs, no more smacking your bump stops). So fun... just gotta get mine up and running again...

Yeah, I shoulda been wearing safety glass, don't learn from me! I forgot to throw them in the truck when I went over there. I too have had rusty metal taken out of my eye before which is probably no surprise. I was even wearing glasses that time. I recommend a full face shield.

I think the trick to that is to just remove the grease zerk in the driveshaft slip yoke.

Looks nice! You will love the new suspension!
Youve just helped me years later, I'm looking at this thing saying "this was just on here!! why is the driveshaft too long now?!?" haha too much grease.
Thanks
J

X2 on wearing safety glasses. A couple of years ago, I had to get a piece of metal drilled out of my eye. Then had to make a return trip because rust formed, and I had to get that drilled out. Ihave hurt myself many times thoughout my life including running a skill saw down the middle of my finger splitting it in half. None of my previous injuries compare to the pain that I had with my eye. PLEASE, PLEASE wear glasses.

Better yet, wear the safety glasses and then a face shield. Can't tell you how many times I have gotten a spark/hot piece of metal stuck in my beard only to burn my face. They ain't that expensive and much cheaper than a trip to the ER for sure.

Great work on the legs, and just wait til she loosens up and you get some weight in the back. Mine always ends up feeling like a cadillac when I have another 150# in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom