Got My First FZJ80 Last Night (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
96 Black 80 Build thread

I changed the thread title and decided to roll this into my build thread. Updates are on Page 3.

Picked it up last night and it is the first off road rig I have owned. I have always been a race car kinda guy. But a buddy has a nice 40th Anniversary. My wife and I borrowed it on our Honeymoon and drove all over Colorado in it. Up through the Medano pass, up to the mines outside of Silverton, etc. Fell in love with it. Just couldn't convince myself to waste my money on a Jeep.

This is a Black 1996 with 220K. Mileage is a little high but I am used to high mileage vehicles. My last GMC had 264K, my Accord had 260K, my Civic had 200K, etc. So the mileage wasn't a problem.

The good: Truck looks great, exterior is straight, never been wrecked, bent or otherwise. A few chips and scratches (hey it is 15 years old), otherwise no problems. Came with an ARB front bumper, WARN winch, OME 2.5in lift springs and shocks, KC lights, SLEE sliders, some no name display/radio (still haven't figured it all out yet), BFG 285 All Terrains in great shape

The bad:
air intake hose is torn
Slight oil leak
Powersteering pump noise
Interior is rough, driver's seat is trashed, motors somewhat operable, stains in the back seat and carpet, "wood grain" is delaminating, etc, stereo is no impressive, sounds way to bland, battery isn't bolted down, some of the winch and light wiring is a little janky, etc.Door mirror glass is loose. Gonna have to fix that ASAP.

Otherwise looks like a great starting point, I am going to build a new intake tube this weekend with some aluminum tubing and some silicone connectors. Doing a full fluids and filters change, plus plugs wires, cap rotor, etc, probably put a valve cover gasket on it just to eliminate some of the small leaks. Also need to build few more skid plates and some underbody armor, extend the diff breathers, build a rear bumper and a swing out tire carrier and a few other things. but all in all truck has great potential.

So I will be needing some parts.

Brett

I'll put up some pics when they let me.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mud ... :flipoff2: the official new member salute.

96 is a great year, and it looks like you found a good rig with some nice additions already. Be prepared to start a long-list of upgrades and changes, and that the Pin 7 mod is just the gateway drug. :cool: to the Cruiser addiction.

:cheers:

Steve

The bad:
air intake hose is torn
Slight oil leak
Powersteering pump noise

I'll bet it runs a lot better once the air intake hose doesn't leak.

Within reason, never mind the oil leak, it's a Land Crusiser:doh:

PS pump noise -- several threads here to help with that, most find a rebuild solves things.

Keep posting, After you hit 10 posts, the pics start working.

Oh, and welcome to MUD!:flipoff2:

Welcome! Kudos for having the guts, and smarts to buy a high-mileage rig. These things seem to go on and on. Too bad the PO didn't watch out for some of the details such as the seats, etc., but they can be fixed. :cheers:Ned

FZJ40 or FZJ80?

Sounds like a FZJ-80 (woodgrain) with the typical pm issues. IIRC someone did put a 1FZFE into a 40 however.

Dang it, Mis-typed the title. How do I edit the title, or my thread in general? I don't see an edit link in the header. Now I have to spend a couple of weeks here reading to learn all the stuff. I am going to try and do the gauge mod this week so I can go riding next weekend.

OK no worries welcome :flipoff2:

Maybe the moderators can change the title for you?? No worries, welcome.

Dang it, Mis-typed the title. How do I edit the title, or my thread in general? I don't see an edit link in the header. Now I have to spend a couple of weeks here reading to learn all the stuff. I am going to try and do the gauge mod this week so I can go riding next weekend.

taken care of

Welcome to Mud:D

There is some threads on here on the Valve cover replacement. Don't forget the spark plug tube seals and the PCV grommet. The PHH and fuel filter while your in there. It's not all that bad to do. The search feature is your best bet for tips and tricks on the PM items on your new rig.

Yeah I have been reading about all the cool stuff, now. Pin 7, Mirror replacement, CDL switch etc. I also have to do something about the driver's seat. It moves forward and won't move back. I guess I will be pulling the motor out and cleaning the contacts and hand winding the seat back into position. Maybe I won't have to come up with a motor or something. I may just look for some manual seats.

Also want to get started on custom control arms for the front, adjustable rear trailing arms, etc. So much stuff to do and so little time. I need two of me and more free time.

Welcome to the madness :flipoff2:

NO PICS...you didnt really get one..:cheers:

SMRacing; there's a white nylon/plastic threaded plug that can get loose and fall out of the motor mechanism. If it's just loose you can tighten it up, but if lost you can't buy the plug by itself from Toyota but IIRC a Mudder made up bunch of them once ?? a couple of years ago.

:flipoff2: Welcome

Nakman sells the little plastic caps for the seat motor as well as some other goodies. Super good guy and a reputable vendor here.

Buck

Excellent, I guess I will get into that this weekend. I just got back from the alignment shop and I caught the wheel bearings before he got all setup and told him not to waste his time. Both wheel bearings are in bad need of some adjustment, so I am going to take care of that this weekend and may have to string the alignment just to make sure it is OK until I can get it back to them.

What size is the wheel bearing lock nut? 50mm? Or 54mm?

Anyone have a picture of the little plastic plug? I can probably turn it out on the lathe. I think I have some Delrin bar laying around. I'll look up Nackman and hit him up after i get into it this weekend. I felt bad for the alignment shop guy, he was ten feet tall and my wife is really short. Since the seat wouldn't go back he was crammed in there like a clown in a midget car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom