What are the long term affects of running a mix of E85& 87 octane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Weber 38 that seems to be running rich. Just to see what would happen, on the last fill-up I tanked up with a mix of E85 and 87 octane. The mix was 2/3 87. The FJ starts up and runs fine but I was wondering what the long term affects will be on the fuel pump, fuel lines, and so on. 2F with DUI and MAF header timing @10btdc.

Why not find out why your Cruiser is running rich, and fix the problem? If you need to pass emissions, running some alcohol/gas mixture will reduce your HC levels, but your problem will still be there. Your 69 was made to run on regular gasoline. I think the mix will lead to burned up valves, and guides from running too hot.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

You may get some tremendous vapor locking and hot soak issues with a high-alcohol mix. You also will get little/no valve seat protection from whatever additives are in regular gasoline.

Wow.

Not enough alcohol in this mix to affect anything. You are talking about a 6% alcohol mixture that you added to whatever was in your tank.

Could go into specifics, but it's not worth the typing.

None of the terrible consequences mentioned above are of any concern.

Mark...

a mix of E85 and 87 octane. The mix was 2/3 87.

Not enough alcohol in this mix to affect anything. You are talking about a 6% alcohol mixture that you added to whatever was in your tank.

.85 * .33 = .28

Where'd you get 6%?

The 'normal' gas in CA is 15% alkyhol. Seems to run fine in all my engines, old and new.

The alcohol is higher octane, so you can run a bit more advanced, but it has less energy, so you'll get lower mileage.

He mixed 2 parts e85 (15% alcohol) with 3 parts of straight gasoline (0% alcohol).

Where did you get 33% for E85? If it was 33%, it would be 13.2% after mixing, not 28%

Mark...

Math battle:clap:

Subscribed

e85

e85 is 85% alcohol. all fuels can have close to 15% other than 100LL

The pump said 70% ethanol. Even at 87 degrees today the temp gauge didn't get above the first mark. Idle isn't as smooth as it used to be but on the move it accelerates nicely w/o knock.

Yes the Model T can. E85 is up to 85% denatured fuels the pump I got it from said 70%

e85 is 85% alcohol. all fuels can have close to 15% other than 100LL

Ahhh... My mistake. I always forget that is mainly alcohol not the other way around.

This does of course work out to about 28%.

I still see no problems. Certainly not with your valves or guides, fuel lines, or carb seals.

Probably want to rejet if you are going to run this all the time. Unless you were in fact overly rich already, in which case it might work out to be about right as is.

Vapor lock is a bit more of a concern (one downside of a Weber conversion is that most people do away with the recirculation of the fuel that the OEM system has). I doubt that it will be a major problem. IF it did turn out to be, just add a cheap electric pump inline, mounted on the frame under the fuekl tank and use it to overcome vapor lock when it hapens. Just leave it switched off the rest of the time.

If I was gonna worry about anything it would be any long term effect on the fuel pump diaphragm.

Mark...

In this corner, the favorite, from Sunny California, Fast Eddy-yy-yy, weighing in with a BS in Mathematics from Cal Poly SLO...

haaaaalarious. :clap:

sooooo where do you actually find E85?? i don't think i've ever seen one.. (gas station with it) i live in Mississippi currently...

Your fuel pump diaphragm will eventually keel over and die. Mine did. Just be ready for it, go to Car Quest and buy it for 58 bucks or so, instead of 188 from Toyota. Same brand and everything.

In this corner, the favorite, from Sunny California, Fast Eddy-yy-yy, weighing in with a BS in Mathematics from Cal Poly SLO...

Hey can you help me with my taxes?:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom