Cruise Moab 2011 failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this explains why my battery was wet on top and I had to continuously start the rig using the secondary battery.

Battery.jpg

I can not find a date on it but I know I bought the rig in Sept 21st 2009. Both batteries are Energizer batteries. Looks like it is time for new battery(s)
Battery.jpg

The post is pulling out of the battery when I go to take the terminal off. That is where the acid came from. The entire top of the battery was soaked. The red arrow is pointing to the area where the post is pulling out.
If I was pulling up while taking the picture (3 hands required, sorry) you could see better I guess.

The post is pulling out of the battery when I go to take the terminal off. ...

The terminal is broken, how hard did you pound on it?:hillbilly: That would explain the intermittent no start. Should be warranty, from most sellers, no receipt should be needed batteries are date coded.

The post is pulling out of the battery when I go to take the terminal off. That is where the acid came from. The entire top of the battery was soaked. The red arrow is pointing to the area where the post is pulling out.
If I was pulling up while taking the picture (3 hands required, sorry) you could see better I guess.

What brand will you be replacing it with and will you be replacing both batteries?:hmm:

"If" I only had one battery, I would have been the biggest pain in the ass at Moab. Having the second battery got me through the week and home. Since I have no clue who sells Energizer I am not sure I would replace them with the same.

I just remembered the receipts that were in the glove box when I bought it so I dug them out of the file cabinet and they were both purchased at Pepboys Auto in Scottsdale on 08-11-2008.

I think they lasted their lifetime.

"If" I only had one battery, I would have been the biggest pain in the ass at Moab. ...

Unpossable to be a bigger PITA.:hillbilly: Would have found the problem, replaced the battery, problem solved.

I just remembered the receipts that were in the glove box when I bought it so I dug them out of the file cabinet and they were both purchased at Pepboys Auto in Scottsdale on 08-11-2008.

I think they lasted their lifetime.

Drive to Pep Boys, see what they say.

I should be able to go to any Pep Boys I would think. Scottsdale is a long drive...

Hey Tony - You may want to consider a marine starting battery (not deep cycle) - they are more ruggedly constructed (for pounding in speed boats), they have the auxiliary terminals for accessories and are well priced for what you get. Many of us up here have switched from the red and yellow tops to marine batteries.

Does that include the Optima Blue Top? I've had very good luck with mine in the Piggy. John

Does that include the Optima Blue Top? I've had very good luck with mine in the Piggy. John

Ditto, another happy blue top owner.

I have a blue Optima now - their marine are all deep cycle

They also made blue Optimas as starting battery - they had a black case. Blue top with gray case was/is the deep cycle.

No we are replacing just the red and yellow tops. The marine starting batteries are similar in design to the yellow tops, for a lot fewer coconuts. A true 'deep cycle' are not meant as a starting battery. I would guess the high ambient temperatures in AZ shortens battery life considerably. I got 11 years out of a Toyota OEM battery in my old Previa

No we are replacing just the red and yellow tops. The marine starting batteries are similar in design to the yellow tops, for a lot fewer coconuts. A true 'deep cycle' are not meant as a starting battery. I would guess the high ambient temperatures in AZ shortens battery life considerably. I got 11 years out of a Toyota OEM battery in my old Previa
2-3 years is pretty common on a lot of batteries. But, The blue top in the Piggy is around 7 now. I have run it way down a few times and it has recharged/recovered just fine. Sometimes I only start the rig once a month, and since the fuel tends to drain back all the way to the tank, it takes a lot of cranking to draw fuel back to the carb, but it spins the motor up just fine and does not bog before it fires up. I originally chose it for the extra connectors on the top. I would buy again. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom