3FE owners...how do you do it ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have worked on Toyotas for over 25 years now, including Land Cruisers but this is the first L/C I have ever owned.
Its a super nice 91 FJ80 with the venerable 3FE and will be used for hauling boy scouts, camping and general off roading.
So my question is for those of you who have 3FE equipped L/Cs, what and how do you deal with the the power shortcommings of the 3FE ??
Any tips, tricks or advice on how to live with this dependable yet slow beast would be helpful.
Thanks !!

I have worked on Toyotas for over 25 years now, including Land Cruisers but this is the first L/C I have ever owned.
Its a super nice 91 FJ80 with the venerable 3FE and will be used for hauling boy scouts, camping and general off roading.
So my question is for those of you who have 3FE equipped L/Cs, what and how do you deal with the the power shortcommings of the 3FE ??
Any tips, tricks or advice on how to live with this dependable yet slow beast would be helpful.
Thanks !!

You must learn to appreciate the history and legacy of the F series of motors.

You must learn to like the right lane.

You must become one with 60mph. 65 tops.

You must never commute on city streets unless your local filling station has extremely good coffee as you will be stopping there every day to fill up.

You must learn to appreciate the flats and love the scenery on hills.

You must never tow a trailer.

And most critically, you must always match the gearing to the tires. Even a small mismatch will make you miserable.

Sounds perfect for your uses.

You must learn to appreciate the history and legacy of the F series of motors.

You must learn to like the right lane.

You must become one with 60mph. 65 tops.

You must never commute on city streets unless your local filling station has extremely good coffee as you will be stopping there every day to fill up.

You must learn to appreciate the flats and love the scenery on hills.

You must never tow a trailer.

And most critically, you must always match the gearing to the tires. Even a small mismatch will make you miserable.

Sounds perfect for your uses.

Could'nt have said it better my self hahaha. im currently looking into installing a manual transmission to see/use the true potential of this engine

I've gotten mine up to 85mph...

Tune it, care for it, it'll surprise you. And when all else fails, do the pin7 mod and drop it into low range.

Once you learn the patience necessary, you will love your 3FE like the rest of us do :D

Could'nt have said it better my self hahaha. im currently looking into installing a manual transmission to see/use the true potential of this engine

I never feel like I need more power now that I have the manual. Start with jon held's tune up list and you will be surprised how much power a well tuned 3fe actually has.

Find and stop all vacuum leaks,fuel pump every 150,000 miles, O2 sensors every 100,000 miles,throttle -transmission cable adjusted as per specs, 31 inch inch tires with 50lb. air pressure, run idle slightly higher than Toyota says. Still, no speed demon but acceptable. MIke

You start looking for a 93 or newer

I have rigs with 1FZs, 2Fs, V8s and 3FEs. My daily driver at the moment is an FJ80 w/3FE with 32-33 inch tires and stock gearing. It is definitely weaker than a 1FZ.

But, that said...

I cruise the highway at 80 often. never slower than 75. I have no trouble moving in traffic, in town or on the road. I tow Cruisers on trailer with this rig quite a bit (average one every couple of weeks). It is over taxing it, but it does the job pretty well. I trailered my FJ62 a thousand miles back from Whitehorse last fall with it.

I haul the weight (in dogs) of two adults with me every where I go I often have another adult in the rig with me as well.

If you have major complaints with the power of a 3FE powered '80 I submit that you have engine/tranny. tuning/adjustment issues, or you simply have unrealistic expectations of what a 6000 pound all wheel drive station wagon is gonna do. My 1FZ rigs are quicker... but they are not enough so that I would be happy with them if I considered the 3FE powered rigs to be worthless lugs.

FTR, I come from a hot rodding background, and yes, I DO know what a fast car feels like... And I have towed with Ford power strokes and even stupidly hot rodded Dodge cummins so I know what a real tow rig can do also. :)

Mark...

I have rigs with 1FZs, 2Fs, V8s and 3FEs. My daily driver at the moment is an FJ80 w/3FE with 32-33 inch tires and stock gearing. It is definitely weaker than a 1FZ.

But, that said...

I cruise the highway at 80 often. never slower than 75. I have no trouble moving in traffic, in town or on the road. I tow Cruisers on trailer with this rig quite a bit (average one every couple of weeks). It is over taxing it, but it does the job pretty well. I trailered my FJ62 a thousand miles back from Whitehorse last fall with it.

I haul the weight (in dogs) of two adults with me every where I go I often have another adult in the rig with me as well.

If you have major complaints with the power of a 3FE powered '80 I submit that you have engine/tranny. tuning/adjustment issues, or you simply have unrealistic expectations of what a 6000 pound all wheel drive station wagon is gonna do. My 1FZ rigs are quicker... but they are not enough so that I would be happy with them if I considered the 3FE powered rigs to be worthless lugs.

FTR, I come from a hot rodding background, and yes, I DO know what a fast car feels like... And I have towed with Ford power strokes and even stupidly hot rodded Dodge cummins so I know what a real tow rig can do also. :)

Mark...

Thanks, I needed that !:)
I think it really is unrealistic expectations. I sold my Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and bought this because I needed more people/cargo room and no longer needed a truck.
The fact that I work for Toyota may have helped with the L/C decision.;)
It runs just fine and is tuned well I was just wondering if anyone had a magic bullet, so to speak.

I used to get my share of speeding tickets. Not anymore!

Now that i think about it, I have never been pulled over in my 91. So, its really helping me avoid a couple hundred dollars in fines each year.

Side note: 100th post!

I have a 3FE with 35's and stock gearing and its bearable. I think the whole thing is exaggerated. When I had 31's it was totally fine. Like the others have said, I adjust and replace things when needed. Tires make a huge difference. I had old 32" BFG MT's that were awful compared to the 35's I have now. The 35's are super smooth on the road and I even get slightly better gas mileage with them now despite the big weight difference.

Hell I am running 37's with stock gearing. I has become a weekend vehicle/trailer queen, but the real reason I have not changed gears is that I upgraded to a Extreme Stage II from Rodney @ Wholesale Automatics. It cast a little, but there is no more parasitic loss of power and the gear changes are extremely firm. Would have been cheaper to go the maunal way, but this should be the last transmission I buy for the rig.

I lived with it for 4 years before I re-geared it and that with 37's and a ton of heavy mods.

I went from a 500 HP ls1 to this for a DD so if I can live with it anyone can.

I noticed right away that when I put 33"ers on that the power band was in a more usable area for freeway driving.

She likes anything up to 60mph, 68mph, or 80, She complains everywhere in between.
Do a good baseline tuneup. The valve adjustment on the 3fe is cake. Also, check out the thread about the Fuel Pulsation Damper posted in the 60 series threads, mine was bad, Toyota just called this morning to tell me the part was in, looking forward to see the difference it makes.

I also got rid of the stock exhaust and noticed a bit of power increase.

I try to keep the truck in 3rd gear until 45mph, I don't want it lugging down in 4th unnecessarily..

Andrew

Hell I am running 37's with stock gearing. I has become a weekend vehicle/trailer queen, but the real reason I have not changed gears is that I upgraded to a Extreme Stage II from Rodney @ Wholesale Automatics. It cast a little, but there is no more parasitic loss of power and the gear changes are extremely firm. Would have been cheaper to go the maunal way, but this should be the last transmission I buy for the rig.

The stage II has the beefed valve body and the new torque convertor too, right. How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking? W

Tucker

until i decided that my motor was a diesel that needed water injection yesterday, driving a 3fe with stock gears and 35's was in no way sucky. was it "fast"? of course not. but it was never terrible. acutally quite a peppy motor compared to what i had expected based on all the 3fe hate i heard. but then again i liberated a head gasket yesterday. so maybe i push her too hard no?

with 4.88's i think i will be very happy. i honestly love driving my cruiser. its comfortable and bomber. i can't wait to get her back on and off the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom