tow strap as a tree strap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
Question please...tow straps (not snatch straps) are available in a variety of strengths at the chain auto parts stores (o'reilly's etc)...and it seems as though they are cheaper than tree straps. Assuming you use one of the appropriate WLL, any reason not to use them?

Just make sure its made from polyester and not nylon. Make sure the stitching for the loop looks secure and wasnt done with improper tension on the thread. And go bigger than you think youll need. Generally 3" and up is sufficient and this also grants you entrance into the Tread Lightly or Leave No Trace club.

No reason not to use them. Concern about condition and quality carries over to any and all of your gear. no difference here.

Mark...

Thanks guys!

Condition and quality are important, and I recommend a 3" strap to spread the impact on the tree over a larger area. Many of the tow straps you find at chain stores (WalMart, Advance/OReiley's/AutoZone, not hardware stores like Northern Tool) are 2" and not 3".

Also keep an eye on the condition of your tree strap. They can take a beating from tree bark.

big recent thread on that same topic

Failure point and injury potential

Read this thread...assuming my "reading comprehension" skills haven't eroded tooooooo much, my take-away is that if the attachment point (tree-strap, d-ring, hook) fail, then significant damage or injury are possible. If the cable fails, injury is unlikely. Therefore, it's wise to overspend on the attachment point.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/458959-recovery-damper-3.html

So, back to my original post, a "tow strap" could work as a tree strap, but only if it's appropriately robust to the load placed on it.

Read this thread...assuming my "reading comprehension" skills haven't eroded tooooooo much, my take-away is that if the attachment point (tree-strap, d-ring, hook) fail, then significant damage or injury are possible. If the cable fails, injury is unlikely. Therefore, it's wise to overspend on the attachment point.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/458959-recovery-damper-3.html

So, back to my original post, a "tow strap" could work as a tree strap, but only if it's appropriately robust to the load placed on it.

Cable stores more energy than a static tree strap. You want to use static rigging (tree strap that does not stretch, NOT a recovery strap that does stretch) when recovering a vehicle with a winch and anchor point. Stretch lends itself to stored energy which is not good if a break occurs.

And yes - a tow strap could work as a tree strap but one reason to use a strap is to not damage a tree. Therefore I tend to look more towards 3" straps and not 2" straps but a 2" strap does 'work.' The key is to not have any stretch, a secure anchor point, and quality equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom