To rebuild...or Not to rebuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That is the question.

In need of some advice. I have a 1981 Troopie with a 2H that leaks oil from all of the usual areas. It has been my daily driver since I bought it 5 years ago, and has never let me down.

It is a great truck, bit it is 30 years old.

I want to stop the oil leaks, so I am planning on having the gaskets replaced. I don't have the time/knowledge to do it myself, so I am taking it to my diesel shop. My question is- should I just go ahead and have it rebuilt while it is already apart? Or overhauled? What is the difference?

He said he would check things over and make recommendations once he saw the insides.

So my options are:
1- just replace the gaskets- cheap and quick, but may need to open it again to fix things that will be breaking, ending up being expensive.
2- go for it and replace everything whether it needs it or not- expensive and kinda quick, but when it's done it's done
3- start with the gaskets and see what else it needs- unknown price and unknown time. could end up being more expensive than option #2.

I believe in doing things right the first time, I just don't know what "right" is in this case. I have the funds to do a full rebuild, and am leaning toward that option, but I am also a firm believer in "If it ain't broke- don't fix it" so now my dilemma.

What would YOU do and why?

thanks

That is the question.

In need of some advice. I have a 1981 Troopie with a 2H that leaks oil from all of the usual areas. It has been my daily driver since I bought it 5 years ago, and has never let me down.

It is a great truck, bit it is 30 years old.

I want to stop the oil leaks, so I am planning on having the gaskets replaced. I don't have the time/knowledge to do it myself, so I am taking it to my diesel shop. My question is- should I just go ahead and have it rebuilt while it is already apart? Or overhauled? What is the difference?

He said he would check things over and make recommendations once he saw the insides.

So my options are:
1- just replace the gaskets- cheap and quick, but may need to open it again to fix things that will be breaking, ending up being expensive.
2- go for it and replace everything whether it needs it or not- expensive and kinda quick, but when it's done it's done
3- start with the gaskets and see what else it needs- unknown price and unknown time. could end up being more expensive than option #2.

I believe in doing things right the first time, I just don't know what "right" is in this case. I have the funds to do a full rebuild, and am leaning toward that option, but I am also a firm believer in "If it ain't broke- don't fix it" so now my dilemma.

What would YOU do and why?

thanks

I would test the engine to see if it actually needs a rebuild. Have compression checked, the rings looked at and the accessible bearings. If it checks out fine, don't rebuild it. if not, go for a full rebuild.

If it is fine, get a cheap high mileage 2H and rebuild that while you are driving your truck. Then you have it as a perfect exchange engine when yours bites the dust.
cheers,
J

I would test the engine to see if it actually needs a rebuild. Have compression checked, the rings looked at and the accessible bearings. If it checks out fine, don't rebuild it. if not, go for a full rebuild.

If it is fine, get a cheap high mileage 2H and rebuild that while you are driving your truck. Then you have it as a perfect exchange engine when yours bites the dust.
cheers,
J

That would be option 4 I guess. I like it the best so far. But would it be better to rebuild a 12HT to exchange in? I have heard they are the way to go. How hard is the swap, and is it worth it?

That would be option 4 I guess. I like it the best so far. But would it be better to rebuild a 12HT to exchange in? I have heard they are the way to go. How hard is the swap, and is it worth it?

the 12HT has a great reputation and people seem to love them. However, they also seem rare and quite expensive. I'd go with a turboed 2H myself, but that's really a taste question.

The swap should be quite easy, as the engine mounts apparently are the same. But I have not done it myself, so I do not know the exact details.
J

I'd fix only the major leaks. There's a huge difference in cost between replacing a few leaking gaskets or seals, and a full rebuild. I agree with the compression test to guide further decisions. But I would not disassemble the engine looking for problems if it starts strong, runs smooth, and has oil pressure within specs.

Is all depend on your wallet. If your wallet allows, you can do what you want. If I'm in this case, fix that oil leak. At the same time, look for a 12HT. Then do the swap.:D

Myself personally I'd go with the rebuild. Yes it's running fine but tomorrow it mite not be(I know by experiance personal and professionaly). A compression test is a good idea however you don't get a full indication of what is going on inside the engine. A pre combustion chamber may be cracked and ready to drop into the pot or the bearings could be worn. You just don't know. Why don't you ask the mechanic to do an engine evaluation and go from there.

I'd go with #4 unless you are trying to make an original show truck.

But, if I did take it apart I would rebuild everything I had to get to. You can check compression and bearings and things and leave alone if OK, but other things like oil pumps and stuff might be worth changing, so my second choice would be 2.5 :)

Thanks everyone. I am going to just have all of the gaskets and seals done, and he will see if it needs anything else. He said he really doesn't want to waste his time and my money by doing a full rebuild if it doesn't need it. I totally agree with that!

Do a compression check. If the compression is good then spend the money on re-gasketing. If the compression sucks on one or more cylinders . Then drive it till you have enough money saved for 12H-T or rebuild the 2H. Red Rattler has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom