upper rear shock mount qqqq (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
the shock it's self not the plate, what size wrench?
not looking forward to trying to remove the plates, so i'll go with not messing with them....just need a clicker wrench for the shock fastener.

X2 spray that thing down with PB blaster and remove the plate not just the shock

Or cut the upper shock stud below the plate, and smack the stud up and out, I found it quicker than dealing with the rusted plate bolts. Then install shock and tighten top with ratcheting wrench

The plate is removable for a reason! 1 minute and the plate is removed, why would you torture yourself trying to remove the upper shock bolt in place.

take note that you are in az, and i however am in pa......nothing under the thing takes one minute...unless it involves cursing.

I managed to get mine off from the top but cutting would have been smarter. My spare tire xmember is cut out so I did have more room to work. I believe its the same bolt size as the front shocks.

Mine has spent its life in the rust belt as well and I didnt feel like drilling and tapping under the truck when the bolts that hold the plates on broke. I had enough of that when I was putting on the ipor skid, 4 of the 8 bolts that hold the xmember broke. Drilling out broken bolts while lying on your back sucks.

D

I have "heard" of this thing called rust... when I lived back in Missouri. Glad I am in AZ now!!

I had to spray PB blaster on mine ahead of time. The best way to remove any rusted or suspect bolts is to use a propane torch. This worked on all of my hardware to install my lift after breaking off the rear lower shock bolt. Upon reinstallation use anti seize on all the hardware. I ended up chasing the threads on all the bolts and captured nuts.

I had to spray PB blaster on mine ahead of time. The best way to remove any rusted or suspect bolts is to use a propane torch. This worked on all of my hardware to install my lift after breaking off the rear lower shock bolt. Upon reinstallation use anti seize on all the hardware. I ended up chasing the threads on all the bolts and captured nuts.

You guys go through this ritual on ever nut and bolt from the underside:eek:

Brian, here's a trick for those bolts. The red straw that comes on any spray lube can is also available by the foot. Buy a couple foot piece. Feel around up there until you can tell which are the two threaded bolts where you'd like to get PB Blaster or whatever you're using. Put the straw on the can, take the other end and with your fingers in this blind spot you can get the straw right against each in turn with some fiddling and then fire some right on it. I've changed several sets of shocks over the years and this works every time. Obviously for a PA car, I'd repeat it for a few days, but it's nice to get that straw tip RIGHT where you need the stuff so there's no doubt, and getting it on the threads is a huge payoff (vs normally all you can get to is the head of a bolt, ya know?).

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom