In-ground Pool Ground Wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what depth under the pool deck should the pool ground wire be buried? i've got an issue with my pool contractor and my landscape contractor where they missed putting it in the pool deck, so they are having to excavate and do it over. they're down about 2 inches, but my electrician (3rd contractor and the one i truct the most) is saying it should be about 6 inches.

any pool experts on mud?

thanks!

N.E.C. 680-25 Methods of grounding for swimming pools does not specify a depth for grounding conductors. N.E.C. has other rules for wiring subject to damage that could apply depend on .......

There are two others player that can require something else. 1) The authority having Jurisdiction aka electrical inspector may have his own requirement. 2) The county can have amendments to the N.E.C. making there own requirements.

With that said your inspector makes the final call and should be inspected prior to the re-pour. In this case your inspector is your friend to make everything safe for you and your family. Who care what the other parties say.

Dont get involved in a debate, let the inspector do his job.

N.E.C. 680-25 Methods of grounding for swimming pools does not specify a depth for grounding conductors. N.E.C. has other rules for wiring subject to damage that could apply depend on .......

There are two others player that can require something else. 1) The authority having Jurisdiction aka electrical inspector may have his own requirement. 2) The county can have amendments to the N.E.C. making there own requirements.

With that said your inspector makes the final call and should be inspected prior to the re-pour. In this case your inspector is your friend to make everything safe for you and your family. Who care what the other parties say.

Dont get involved in a debate, let the inspector do his job.

i've got a permit pulled for the inspector, i'm just trying to get it right the first time to save time and hassle.

i've got a permit pulled for the inspector, i'm just trying to get it right the first time to save time and hassle.

Make a call to the inspector, the only way to be sure. Again the inspector has the final call no matter what others think/say. BTDT too many times.

ahhhh... the equipotential bonding grid. pretty confusing stuff. not quite enough info for a complete answer, but hopefully i can help.

basicly the nec wants the deck, coping, or whatever walking surface around the pool to have the same potential for grounding as the rest of the pool. so if the water in the pool is energized you dont shock yourself getting out.you can form the ground grid out of rebar or #8 copper wire in a 12" on center grid around the pool for 3' or so. if itst he grid or rebar your talking about that stuff needs to make direct contact with the deck. those bad boys go right on top of the ground.

now the nec wantts you to use at least a #8 copper wire to bond the grid around the deck to everything else that gets bonded. you know stuff like lights, diving boards, pool covers and motors, heaters....you get the picture. if your talking about that wire i do believe nec 300.4 (i'm going off of memory here, dont yell if its the wrong section) should tell you minimum burial depths. i believe under the slab its 4" of coverage, and if its not under the slab its 18".

it sounds like your just talking about the bonding jumpers for the grid around the deck. just leave the wires and connections exposed on top of the ground around the pool and bury it deeper if its not gonna be under the slab. its kinda a long answer but i hope it helps. try calling the guy. he may not wanna tell you how to do it but should be able to tell you the codes if you describe what your doing. good luck!

its a copper wire to ground the handrail, ladder, and pool walls to a grounding rod , the pool equipment, and the panels. will be buried directly underneath a flagstone pool deck.

does that help?

it should be just fine ran along the surface so long as it gets covered/protected by the decking. more than likely the inspector will want to see it exposed to verify continuity and how the connections are made. where its not protected by the decking make sure its in a trench about 18" deep.

i say it should be because there is a special little section of every code book that tells you the inspector has the right to interpret and enforce the code as he or she sees fit. i'll look up and post the code reference so you can say i did it according to section _____. if he does see something hopefully you can just fix it fast or he or she will take you at your word that you'll fix it. then again, if its the second time they might wanna see everything 100 %.

did they ask for the grid under the deck by the pool? the nec wants you to have a matt of rebar with the same spacing as the pool reinforcement, or a 12" x 12" grid of #8 copper wire around the pool edge. it should extend out 3' from the pool wall. it should probably go in if you havent done it. hate to see ya do everything else and have them fail ya. then again, if ya ask the inspector if you need it maybe it reminds him ya do and now you've got more work. being an electrician and a building inspector i say you put it in even if he dosent ask.......getting away with it dosent make it right.

i'll post up a code section or two for ya in an hour or so....good luck.

what depth under the pool deck should the pool ground wire be buried? i've got an issue with my pool contractor and my landscape contractor where they missed putting it in the pool deck, so they are having to excavate and do it over. they're down about 2 inches, but my electrician (3rd contractor and the one i truct the most) is saying it should be about 6 inches.

any pool experts on mud?

thanks!

The Electrician surely is a more experienced guy then you, so take his adivce. There must be some logice as to why he is insisting on keeping the deck of the pool to 6 inches....

about 6 inches verses about 2inches?? there's not a whole lotta difference betwix the two, is there? since they both fufill the code requirements, i'd go with the contractor since it's his responsibility to make the correction(and PAY for it). it's easy for the electrican to toss out any number when talking about some other person doing the work- if he was doing it himself it would be a whole other story- you can belive that!...i'm an electrican, and know how things work in the real world

Last edited:
the reasoning is to keep it from breaking over time due to freezing, the deeper it is, the more insulated, the less likely to crack or break over time.

looks like we are about 3 inches and the electrician is going with that.

the reasoning is to keep it from breaking over time due to freezing, the deeper it is, the more insulated, the less likely to crack or break over time.

looks like we are about 3 inches and the electrician is going with that.

It has taken them a month to sort this out?

that's the first time i've ever heard of copper breaking from freez/thaw cycles..is this a common problem in that area?

that's the first time i've ever heard of copper breaking from freez/thaw cycles..is this a common problem in that area?

not an electrician and have no idea, just relaying what my electrician indicated to me. inspector seemed to acknowledge a slight concern as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom