Fully Restored M416 - Turned Expedition Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
chrisbromptonphotography.com
I just picked up this trailer in Oregon and it is about to become my new project build. After 2 weeks of technical details with importation and registration in BC I am finally ready to get started on it.

So here is what I have planned to start:
1. Nose Box
2.AGM Battery 100ah
3.1000W AC Power inverter
4.Tent Lighting & Campsite Lighting
5.60W Solar Panel Charging System
6.AC Float Charging System
7.ARB 50 Quart Fridge Freezer.
8.Shurflo Waterpump and Tank
9.Hot water on demand

Once this is done the next project will be the lid for the trailer....
Here is the trailer the way I picked it up.
IMG_5782.jpg
IMG_5783.jpg

Nice trailer. Looks like someone did a good job on adding the tailgate. Good luck on your build.

Here is a look at the side of the nose box from the exterior.
I am removing the cheap looking 12V plug and am putting it inside the trailer as the connection for the fridge. I will replace it and fill the other hole with 2 more of the same Marinco waterproof 12V plugs (just for consistency's sake). Back to the store for more parts...
IMG_1516.jpg

Alright. Got some more work done on the nose box.
I attached it to the trailer and Tidied up the wiring some... still working on that.
I placed all the components on top of the battery for ease of access. I mounted it to the back of the nose box with a piano hinge so it can lift out of the way if I need to remove the battery. There is still plenty of room at the bottom for a shurflo water pump. Still haven't got back to the marine store for more of the 12V plugs.
IMG_1521.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg

Solar Panels...
I have bought the 60W Sunforce solar charging kit. its dimensions roughly are 39.5"x56.5" and it weighs about 60lbs. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can mount it? Its 4 x 15W panels so I was thinking I could separate it into 2 panels x 2 and get them up under the roof rack of my LC from the passenger side. perhaps on sliders? any ideas? please feel free to post pics of your creations.
146932_ts.JPG

Where did you obtain the switch panel from, Is it a Marinco as well as the other accessories

Nice trailer! It is always nice to start with something clean and solid.

Where did you obtain the switch panel from, Is it a Marinco as well as the other accessories

Its made by a company called "Victory" 6 Gang Splashproof Lighted Switch Panel. Model Number #AA10064LT

I found it at a local Marine store called Steveston Marine. I do Believe they have a website and an online store if you google their name.

Time To revive my old thread...

This was all done a while ago but just didn't get around to posting it all.

So here it goes..
I had my lid fabricated out of 1/8" Aluminum Sheet. I cut square tubing and 1x3 C as per a drawing I found on here for an M 101A.
Welded them in place.

I used some square tubing and made a simple rack for my RTT.

IMG_0191 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

I fought with gas struts for days. Because of the tailgate I was limited to the angle that I could mount them at. I have unfortunately had to mount them facing the opposite direction from which they should be.
The total on the struts was 2 120# struts on the outside and 2 150# struts on the inside. The problem with this is when the lid is closed the force of the struts pushes the lid towards the latch side. so much that I decided to beef up the hinge side with a piece of steel 1x3 C. this helped a bit but did not completely solve the problem.

IMG_0202 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0222 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

As for the latches, I used oversized coupling nuts as a spacer on a 2" stove bolt to attach a standard tent trailer latch from an RV dealer.

IMG_0209 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Then I just had to take it for a spin!

IMG_0198 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Then I attached the Tent

IMG_0233 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Bolted on some Tent Trailer Leveling Jacks:

IMG_0231 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Added some In-Tent-Lighting thanks to another post and Ikea for the LEDs. The lights are so bright ( bank of 3 for $12.99) I usually only use 1 of the 3.

IMG_0227 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0226 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Bought 4x Surplus Scepter Jerry Cans for $20CAD each ( as you can see they are kinda beat up. but the seals are good) They Took some olive drab paint really well.

IMG_0210 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0235 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

That Pretty much took care of the Trailer.

Then I had to figure out what to do with the solar panels.
I decided to hang them under the roof rack of the truck using aluminum c-channel as drawer slides.
I made 2 banks of 2 panels bolted together with 1x3 aluminum angle at both ends.
added some pin holes and just used some hitch pins to hold them up there.

I also added a cable that runs through the truck from the trailer to the panels so they can charge my battery when I'm driving.

IMG_0240 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0241 by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

Here it is on its debut run close to home to work out any bugs.

IMG_1526a by Brompton Photography, on Flickr

I hope that someone out there can use this to build off of and get ideas from. If anyone has any suggestions or questions fire away.

Very nice stuff! We have a M101 CDN that is basic utility right now, but I'd like to add many of your amenities in the long run. We're set-up with a sleeper conversion, but at some point the RTT may make more sense, DK.

I really like how you've preserved the basic military utility trailer look while adding some goodies in thoughtful fashion.
:cheers::beer:

Trailer came out great ChrisB....especially the electric on the nose box...very clean.

Lots of luck and fun with it...:beer:

I really like how you've preserved the basic military utility trailer look while adding some goodies in thoughtful fashion.
:cheers::beer:

Thanks for that. I plan on painting the entire thing olive drab. the real reason it stayed that way was that I couldn't justify getting rid of the tires and rims that were on it. they are just too nice. I had planned on making it blue with matching rims but the drab is really growing on me. I think I'll invest in some spray bombs and make the entire thing drab. besides, I just invested in a matching spare tire tube and rim.
Painting will be in next years budget. I already blew my wad on this and turbo-ing the truck just so I could pull the darn thing!

I would like to get my hands on one of these trailers :cool:

nice build----looks great

Great looking setup... How much asking for it.?? Did not see a price listed...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom