My first 80. The Mountain Cruiser semi build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a long time reader but never wrote much about my rig. Known to my friends as the MTN CRZR or rambo :D My Toyota obsession began when I first got my license and was looking for a car. My mom found a nice 2000 4Runner for sale with low milage. I bough it soon after and wheeled it some, after finding the the toyota forums online I knew i wanted to mod it. I made a rear bumper and sliders for it wheeled the **** out of it. I quickly realized i wanted another rig. My dad always wanted a 40 series and with a little convincing he agreed. We stumbled upon a one in Charlotsvile and snatched it up. While fixing it up i stubbled upon IH8mud and was hooked since. One day I say a picture of a built 80 series, saw they had lockers and knew thats what i wanted.

After months of searching CL and ebay i found my curent rig. It was a a New Jersey truck that a man inherited after his brother, the owner of it passed away from a heart attack. ANd he was the only owner. I was stoked to see it had the diff locks and the best part is it only had 94K miles! The CL add was asking 9000 but after telling the guy i was paying for it and showing hime the tires were bald he knocked the pirice down to 7500. I drove it the 300 miles home with a mile long grin. It drove and ran like a dream. I was so excited to have an 80 and quickly thought about the mods i wanted to do. :hillbilly: Btw im a sophmore at Virginia Tech:flipoff2: :) I love having a vehicle chicks love, one that gets me where i love to be and always get me back home again.

Heres the mods ive done to her so far:
  • OME J spring lift from IPOR
  • Firestone destiantion A/Ts, 315/75/16
  • slee brake lines all around
  • slee castor plates
  • ARB winch bumper from IPOR
  • Lightforce 170s
  • Warn M8000 with 3/8 synthetic line
  • Hide away strobe lights in the corners
  • Dynamated the whole enterior
  • front axle service
What i want to do this summer :flipoff2:
  • Fab some sliders
  • Fab a rear bumer, tire carier, jerry can rack
  • cooling system PM
IMG_2108.jpg
138.jpg
obx 2010 030.jpg

a few more pictures
obx 2010 059.jpg
IMG_1492.jpg

94k miles for 7500, thats highway robbery! Nice find, congrats!

Sweet ride. Is Dynamat similar to Al's Liner?

Dynamat you lay in, like ... ugh,...a mat :grinpimp: , als liner you roll on. Als liner is also more so a bedliner, but I think they have sound deadener, not sure.

to OP - NICE setup. And killer deal !

Very nice find. I've said it before but I'll say it again...I love these things sans port-installed roof rack. BTW, IPOR can build you some weld on sliders unless you want to do them yourself. And I assume you know they make a great bumper that they can customize with anything on the swing outs.

Thanks! I was so fortunate to find it and be able to purchase it. I have a part time welding business so I think I'll be able to knock out the rear bumber and rocksliders.

BTW if anyone knows any good trails in the Blacksburg, VA area feel free to let me know :cool:

BTW if anyone knows any good trails in the Blacksburg, VA area feel free to let me know :cool:

Move West young man. Lots of Tech alums out here :D

I got my 94 with 100k miles from a small dealer for $7300.. tires were practically bald though haha. nice truck!

nice pics and good looking 80!

Thanks gus

Move West young man. Lots of Tech alums out here :D

Id be out there in a heartbeat if I coud! :frown: Id love to live In Utah, Colorado or Wyoming. Snowboard in the winter and off road the rest of the year! :grinpimp:

Beautiful truck! I’m jealous of your e-locks. Thanks for the photos. They are a fix for junkies like me. I especially dig the ocean pic.
Sounds like the addiction began early for you. Too bad. Dad’s got a 40 eh? Hmmm, seems there might be a genetic component as well. Your doomed.

Thanks! I was so fortunate to find it and be able to purchase it. I have a part time welding business so I think I'll be able to knock out the rear bumber and rocksliders.

pretty rig...

mostly all i did was bike pandapas pond area... a lot! i did wheel with a buddy in his jeep N of there, ONCE. involved stuck in mud, shredded clutch, bailing out the trail and breaking down in some dudes driveway who wouldn't let us leave until we bought HIM beer... thank god we weren't in WV and that was all he wanted... moral, if you wheel, take beer, not to drink, but to trade for bail! ahh.... the stuff memories are made of. :hillbilly:

oh yeah, stop modding and go tubing!

NAY you spend time at tech?

Nice whip man, love the tall skinny tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom