Finishing up my Part-time 4wd Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 80 with a part time 4wd kit partially installed. I need to post the whole story, but long story short, the previous owner was in the Special Forces and died a pretty tragic death. I bought it from the soldier's dad who was fairly involved in the vehicles history, but not always had full hands-on experience with it or what was done. It was being built into an Expedition/Endurance Rig, his dream was to take it to Africa when he was done. Unfortunately that dream was never realized. Besides wanting to take care of this vehicle because it is mine, I also want to honor his sacrifice and dream of modifying everything right and taking exceptional care of his old 80.

...Back to the 4wd... It has manual hubs, and the dad said all it needed was a "$40 wiring mod around the dash". I am assuming it's the CDL switch he was referencing. My question is, how do I know that is all it needs? I'm afraid of unlocking the hubs in case of, well... I don't know what... I've read a few search threads on these part time conversions, and I am almost more confused than when I started. A couple guys seem to be saying that once it's done, the Full Time 4wd will be lost, and only 2wd and CDL true 4wd will be available. I don't understand why this would be, and I don't want that!

Also I read that the VC needs to be taken out, is this correct, and is their an easy way to tell if it's been done yet in my case?

I probably wouldn't do this mod if it wasn't already started, but since it is, I want to finish it.

Thanks for any help. :beer:

my basic understanding may be incomplete since i have never dealt with a part-time kit and i have a 91 which already has the cdl switch installed; but if i remember correctly, once you do the pin7 mod and install a cdl button on the console, you should have complete control over the center differential. HOWEVER this may be moot if you need to remove the factory viscous coupler for the part time kit. not sure though so dont take my advise to the bank

Unlock the hubs and see what it does. You will know in 10 sec if the part time was installed in the Tcase. Either it will move with ease or not.

The CDL switch becomes your 2wd / 4wd switch with a part time kit.

If this is not what you want and you do have a part time kit you should have no problem trading with some one with a full time transfer case and drive plates.

If this is not what you want and you do have a part time kit you should have no problem trading with some one with a full time transfer case and drive plates.

If this is the case, and you are in Everett Wa as I guess by your username, then PM me. I am near and would consider doing the trade with you.

Unlock the wheel hubs and then try to turn the front shaft by hand... if it turns, the transfer has been modified.

Awesome, I will do this and report back. So my general vague understanding right now is, IF the T/C has been modded, basically I'm running in 2wd with my hubs locked, right? It doesn't feel like it, but I will check and see. If it's not, then I guess I just have some :cool: lookin hubs that don't do anything... lol

Ok, the rig barely moves when the hubs are unlocked, and the front driveshaft is extremely difficult to turn by hand. If I put it in Park, it rolls. So I'm assuming the T-Case has not been modified.

Ok, the rig barely moves when the hubs are unlocked, and the front driveshaft is extremely difficult to turn by hand. If I put it in Park, it rolls. So I'm assuming the T-Case has not been modified.

Correct

Looks like a have a good set of "Poser" hubs! :flamingo:

The rig barely moves because the center diff is open and not transferring torque to the wheel with traction, which is the rear, most of the torque is going to the front propeller shaft, where the front hub is unlocked. Is this correct? But lets say you had the cdl switch and locked the center diff, shouldn't you then be in 2wd?

If this is the case, then conversely if the cdl is off, and the hubs are locked, full time is achieved............???

Then what exactly are we doing to the tcase to make it part time?

I have no intentions to convert to part time, but just curious.....:D:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom