EGR disable question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will JUST disconnecting the EGR temp sensor plug disable the whole EGR system? Or do you need to disconnect the vacuum lines at the throttle body? Or both? I ask because I disconnected the temp sensor and drove it a bit. Sure enough the CEL popped on (as expected) but the code is P0401 which is EGR flow insufficient which sounds like the system is not flowing or is disabled. This as opposed to a P0402 (which I did NOT get) which is EGR flow excessive which would seem the EGR system is full open.

I ask because I want to disable the EGR system and see how it runs before I delete the whole system. If you must know why, it's because I don't like unneeded equipment, particularly that which creates crazy high temps around the back of the head and may contribute to HG failure.

there is something call the "paper clip method" Basically you just unplug the harness, then jump the wires using an unfolded paperclip ( or short piece of wire) then tape in up. 3 minute job and makes a heck of a difference in acceleration. Haven't had a code or issue since.

there is something call the "paper clip method" Basically you just unplug the harness, then jump the wires using an unfolded paperclip ( or short piece of wire) then tape in up. 3 minute job and makes a heck of a difference in acceleration. Haven't had a code or issue since.

What? That wasn't even the question...

Anyway, I just removed the system and all is good. I don't know why, but it seems to run better without the EGR system. It doesn't seem the EGR system should have any adverse effects on the engine provided it's working correctly, but maybe hot gases going into the motor are a bad thing. Whatever, no more hot pipe there..

Now to eliminate the CEL with a resister...

OBD II is a little different than OBD I
My 94 all I had to do was jumper the sensor plug like the other guy was talking about and that was it
I did not remove anything else I am lazy but it is fully disabled ,no hot pipe and no CEL
For your 97 you will have to use a resistor when you jump the sensor wire you unplugged to fool the ECU and cancel the CEL.
Which you already know about
I think thats what he was trying to describe to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom