Custom Horn Brush Assistance Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas on how to fabricate a new Horn Brush? Mine is missing. I was thinking of using the bare end of a welding rod what is just slightly larger than the contact spring.

when turning the steering wheel, the little brush rides on the horn ring, you probably noticed the horn ring is very smooth on the top. I would imagine a typical metal core 'welding rod' would scrape the horn ring when you turn the wheel

just use a hardware store carbon brush that will fit on the end of the spring (take spring with you), later on, to fit it down into the wheel, you can trim down the other end on a grindstone. carbon brushes are quite soft.

My horn brush was really worn where it rides on the ring. I took it down to the hardware store and picked up a round brush that was a slightly smaller diameter. I trimmed the brush to length, hooked it up to a spring from a pen. Put it in and it works great. The carbon brushes are very soft, easy to cut and mold to shape.

My horn brush was really worn where it rides on the ring. I took it down to the hardware store and picked up a round brush that was a slightly smaller diameter. I trimmed the brush to length, hooked it up to a spring from a pen. Put it in and it works great. The carbon brushes are very soft, easy to cut and mold to shape.

Just finished doing the same thing. Works great! I would not use something harder than the contact plate in the column, or else it will wear the ring rather than the brush.

$6 + a pen spring = working horn.

There ya go... I knew I would get the help I needed from you guys. Thanks!

Just finished doing the same thing. Works great! I would not use something harder than the contact plate in the column, or else it will wear the ring rather than the brush.

$6 + a pen spring = working horn.

Any chance of pictures of this setup?

x3 on the pen spring and brush from the bins at Ace Hardware.
I sanded down a brush to fit from a slightly larger od. Chucked up in a cordless drill. Think I learned that here???

By "brush" what type of brush do you mean? Metal brush (like for polishing)? Paint brush? ANy recommendation as to which brush and spring? Thanks in advance.

Does the center cap of my steering wheel just pry off? '77 FJ40

Last edited:
By "brush" what type of brush do you mean? Metal brush (like for polishing)? Paint brush? ANy recommendation as to which brush and spring? Thanks in advance.

A brush for an electric motor. Ace Hardware has a bin full of random sizes. I got one that was a cylinder but just a bit to big around and to long. Easy to re-shape/cut to length.
There are a couple other key bits you must have for the old horn to work.
190A3.gif

Last edited:
A brush for an electric motor. Ace Hardware has a bin full of random sizes. I got one that was a cylinder but just a bit to big around and to long. Easy to re-shape/cut to length.
There are a couple other key bits you must have for the old horn to work.
190A3.gif

Thanks, I'm an attorney by profession, a frustrated actor (wanted to make my parents happy and I left a promising theatre acting career), now playing mechanic. I learn from all of you.

I think your doing ok by the looks of your rig.

I surely hope so :)

One thing they do teach you in law school is that if you don't place attention to detail, you will lose and big. Its in the details where you win, not the big issue most of the time :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom