Turbo vs Super Charger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys I have been pondering the idea of putting a v8 in the 60 when it hit me. I would rather have a turbo charged or super charged 2f which would be bitching! I know guys have done turbos on the 60s and I have searched but still have yet to find the thread of them if someone could link it for me that would be great! and same goes for supercharger but I have NEVER heard of one on a 2f, does this frankenstein exist?! any help would be great! :beer:

hey guys I have been pondering the idea of putting a v8 in the 60 when it hit me. I would rather have a turbo charged or super charged 2f which would be bitching! I know guys have done turbos on the 60s and I have searched but still have yet to find the thread of them if someone could link it for me that would be great! and same goes for supercharger but I have NEVER heard of one on a 2f, does this frankenstein exist?! any help would be great! :beer:

This should be interesting. Turboed 2f???

im working on a 5.3 vortec right now....
you should stop by the shop and see?!

I heard that and steves right? and I will definetly hit you up next week on that, but yea turboed 2f sound pretty stout and one off?

That double cardon I got from you was no good when we cut it off it had a bunch of crappy welds on the inside and some rebar or pipe welded to the inside. It ended up being junk! Thanks for the freebie though. i ended up finding one at Gaylons in lehi.

Seems like a turbo would ruin the best part of a 2f: the fact that it's got power from 1500 rpm up. If you redline at 4k, I would consider anything that narrows the power band a pretty major downgrade.

Concur, blow-thru or draw-thru, carb'd turbo conversions are not something that I'd tackle.

No idea of if a supercharger conversion has ever been done. Not sure why you'd want one. Turbo's are load sensitive, they don't cost you fuel when it's not needed. Can't say that of a supercharger because they are engine driven. You get the boost whether you need it or not.

The absolute key to a good performing turbo system will be matching the basic size and the trims of the compressor wheel and turbine wheel to the 2F's needs. I see no reason why it should be a downgrade. A poor match will be poor performing, but a good match will be excellent!

All turd jokes aside, some of us don't necessarily need or can afford U-joint popping V8 power. I would consider a 2FE conversion, but I would probably not do a turbo. But then, my turbo and diesel fantasies have been satisfied with my Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel. But hey, he asked.

And no, I didn't do an engine conversion on my FJ62. I also have a 1984 Mercedes. If I ever wreck the Mercedes, an engine swap into the FJ62 would be tempting.

Yep been there done that and built the worlds most powerful 2F to date as far as Im' aware :D

The thing is, though... the cylinder head on a 2f is really primitive, and a 3f is even worse.

When you look at a modern DOHC engine, turbo or no, the head design is light- years beyond
what the old tractor motor has. The thing is one giant hot spot. And it's iron, so it can't cool
as fast. It's not cross- flow, so the plumbing's that much harder- if you intercool. And you'd wanna.

So sure, for a 'cheap' 75 hp and 100 ft/lbs, it might be really good. But you're not going to be
able to run 15 lbs of boost all day long. There's just not the thermal capacity there.

yeah, I'm thinking about it, too. it's just so... wrong.... that it'd be way cool.

heh

Matt, I've dug through your posts, and I'm impressed.

t

I know this is not a new topic but it reminds me of the debate the Nissan S14 guys were having for years.... everyone said the unbalanced KA24DE (2.4l DOHC) was an old design truck motor.. which it is... and to have the best setup, you needed to swap in a SR20DET (JDM 2.0l turbo).... well... a couple out-of-the-box guys said screw the convention, turboed a KA24DE and blew the doors of the SR20 with gobs of torque and changed the game for the S14 crowd. now I know there are major differences between the comparisons but I see many of the same arguments in both fields... we'll see what the future brings.

I do agree with everyone! it would be a waste of money and time for not ALOT of preformance and a v8 would be the best option, but hell who can blame me looking into it?! A v8 conversion is cool and one off more or less but i would sooo rather show off a 2f turbo ! :D

That double cardon I got from you was no good when we cut it off it had a bunch of crappy welds on the inside and some rebar or pipe welded to the inside. It ended up being junk! Thanks for the freebie though. i ended up finding one at Gaylons in lehi.
:mad: sorry man, probably why it only worked on my rig for about a month! I had no idea what was in it either:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom