bumper height law. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mwalls54

Cruiser Nutjob
SILVER Star
Threads
This was a topic on bloo's truck. Here is what the law states. The link below is most of the Virginia vehicle laws.

LIS > Code of Virginia

Section 46.2-1063 states:

Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

Top of pageNo vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.

Thanks Matt... :censor:

So 29" front 30" rear dont think thats going to happen Bloo!!!!!!
More like 33" front 35" rear happy driving you have now joined the hight ticket club dont worry its only a $35 dollar ticket with $100 in court fees not too mention if you get stoped as being a repeat offender. Happy driving by the way truck looks good.

*Edit - Nevermind, I should really learn to read the whole thing...

What does being registered as a "truck" mean? I took that to mean a heavy truck. So must of us need to be below a 22 inch bumper height?

depends on what you drive some 4runners and all 60/80/100 need to be 22" since they passenger vehicles

depends on what you drive some 4runners and all 60/80/100 need to be 22" since they passenger vehicles

but I think due to the weight they fall under the 29" height.

So 29" front 30" rear dont think thats going to happen Bloo!!!!!!
More like 33" front 35" rear happy driving you have now joined the hight ticket club dont worry its only a $35 dollar ticket with $100 in court fees not too mention if you get stoped as being a repeat offender. Happy driving by the way truck looks good.

Thanks for that little ray of sunshine Dwight - I really feel better now. :rolleyes: Paying VA courts to drive my truck wasn't part of the design plan -- really looking at making it legal to operate on the road.

Front frame measurement is 27" so I'm legal in the front but I'm running 35" in the rear. Part of the problem is the Tacoma frame which arches up for the rear axle but then continues to lay flat at the top of the arc, parallel with the bed. Then the bumper height tops out to 30"... and its bottom to ground is 34".

Any CONSTRUCTIVE recommendations appreciated. Sooner, rather than later since I have a few trips planned this summer - thanks!

Last edited:
It may be a loopole (spelling:flipoff2::flipoff2:)but looks like to me that you will forgo any hairy ass ment if you just tag it as a truck weighted for 15001 lbs.

also carry a picture of a stock bumper and then compare to yours as the law reads they are supposed to measure from the bumper unless the bumper is in a different place than factory. I do believe that you are probably very close to the bottom of your rear bumper, wich should be in the same place and mount the same way as the stock one.

Can you put up a photo of the ass end of your truck along with a photo of the tape measure on it?

Bloo,

I would make somthing that bolts onto the bumper you have now or the frame and have it extend down to about 26". make it look like it belongs there and put reflective tape on it to show you are trying to be safe. Make sure it is at the rear most portion of the truck. This is what I did on the 4runner after getting a nice ticket and being frisked on the side of I64 at 6:30 in the morning by a young state trooper, I think he rather liked it! I was never stopped again and even had several cops/troopers drive up behind me and stop at a traffic signal. I think the perception is the height and how easily one could drive up under the back of you. The big rack and spare tire on the back of the truck exagerate how tall it actually is and give the perception that it is too tall. Look at all the full size trucks out there running around way to tall that never get stopped.
I would use 1/4 or thick walled tube and again make it look like it is part of something and intened to be there rather than something that was an afterthought.

Personally I would think this would be a comeback to IPOR for not complying to the strick regulations and guidlines of the state laws here in our commonwealth! LOL!!!!
edit: this was for comical purposes only and not intended to make fun or harass anyone working for or affiliated with IPOR and is for the personal use of those reading this post, no other disclaimers or warning are expressed or implied and not inteded for those under the age of 18 without parental consent. Further more, any one under the age of 18 should consent there parents before reading any of the post and they are for off-road and/or off highway purposes only and not intended for street use of any kind under any circumstances, ect, ect, so on and so on. Any further questions or commints should be direct to those in charge and only after reading the fine print, printed so small that you will need a magnifiying glass to read and a lawyer to comprehend, and only then shall you be allowed to make a claim that will in no way hold up in court and is by no way leagally binding in any country around the world. If this does not work than you will be sacked. Now if you had a large wooden badger it may be a different story.

Last edited:
It may be a loopole (spelling:flipoff2::flipoff2:)but looks like to me that you will forgo any hairy ass ment if you just tag it as a truck weighted for 15001 lbs.

This can be done and that should take care of it but will triple the registration fee per year. Only reason I know that is dmv screwed up my f350's weight and it was going to cost me almost $400 for 2 years. They had my gross weight and combined gross weight switched. Now its back to 14k gvw and 25k cgw and tags are $80 a year.

The link below is how I figured out the lovely lady at the dmv screwed up.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/fee_calc/Select_Transaction.aspx

Bloo,

Personally I would think this would be a comeback to IPOR for not complying to the strict regulations and guidelines of the state laws here in our commonwealth!

Good point Rob. This does sound like an egregious violation of the law. I'm on my way to IPOR now. :bang:

For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

Thats true but the dmv will allow you to register the truck to what ever rating you want. I talked to a trooper i know and he said they never check the decals for gvw. Only whats on the registration. I work with federal and military police and they could care less about it.

the one item you need to be careful of is that some roads in virginia are 55mph with trucks limited to 45mph....you might save yourself a bumper ticket but get a speeding ticket.

I'd say take it back to IPOR and make cam put on some low profile tires on it...I know that he has some sitting around there...

Can you put up a photo of the ass end of your truck along with a photo of the tape measure on it?

Okay, if you think that will help :confused: - you're the engineer... :hmm:

photo of the ass end of truck

CIMG1064.jpg

photo with tape measure on it

CIMG1065.jpg

the one item you need to be careful of is that some roads in virginia are 55mph with trucks limited to 45mph....you might save yourself a bumper ticket but get a speeding ticket.

I'd say take it back to IPOR and make cam put on some low profile tires on it...I know that he has some sitting around there...

No worries - I have that problem licked with my 4 cylinder 3RZ.

Cam would more likely recommend low profile 37's.

This sentence pretty much screws you on a easy fix like below.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
CIMG1064.jpg

Okay, if you think that will help :confused: - you're the engineer... :hmm:

photo with tape measure on it

CIMG1065.jpg

I was thinking that you would show the height of it with the tape....but since you posted that picture.

you're fine. trust me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom