picked up this cheap bike was it worth it . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
hey guys .i picked up this cheap bike for my kid to ride.he is just riding it around the streets ,over to a buddy's house to the store ,etc.
was it worth $299.89 i haven't finished puting it all together

i haven't looked at bikes in awhile i know it is a cheapie. but is it complete junk?

my last one was a Kona AA all LX components and a marazochi fork .i think it was around a $1000 years ago .

CCM 29er

6061 frame
suntour xct 80mm fork ,zoom stem and bars
shimano components tourney derailers.
alloy cranks / assess hubs ,alloy maddux double wall rims .
saccon radius mechanical disc brakes F+R tectro rotor
caballero 29 x 2.25 tires .

IMG_0609 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0606 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0607 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
It's a lower end bike without fancy lightweight components. You probably won't see many of them at the local downhill races or higher end bike shops. That being said who cares, ride the wheels off it!

For $300 it's good cheap transportation and will probably perform that function with minimal maintenance.

"Junk" is a relative term :D At the local races it would probably be junk but for your intended purposes it sounds like it's just fine :)

i don't no !
i didn't think about that

this bike being for my kid i'm sure he will wear them out in no time .:doh:

here is a pic
do they ressemble any other brand
that spring clip just pops off, not much meat on these things

is there any trick to setting them up the front one was not mounted , do i just set it in place and tighten it up . it looks like there is some kind of adjustment built in to the mount or the cone washer type thinging on the bolt just centers it for you ?

You're going to wear out brake pads faster than you want. Are they available?

IMG_0610 (Medium).JPG

is there any trick to setting them up the front one was not mounted , do i just set it in place and tighten it up . it looks like there is some kind of adjustment built in to the mount or the cone washer type thinging on the bolt just centers it for you ?

That's pretty much it. Just bolt it on, a bit loose pull the brake and it'll center/right itself to the rotor (make sure the wheel is on all the way) then tighten up the caliper.

thanks for the reply's guys ya i wasn't going to buy it for $300 either but the one i was going to get him was $550 and that wasn't gonna happen .so i settled on this one .
it also was on sale .regualr price was $599.00

see link

CCM 29er Mountain Bike | Canadian Tire

i found out the bike was made in china buy these guys there manual came in the package

Overlord Bikes

:cheers:

hey guys .i picked up this cheap bike for my kid to ride.he is just riding it around the streets ,over to a buddy's house to the store ,etc.
was it worth $299.89 i haven't finished puting it all together

i haven't looked at bikes in awhile i know it is a cheapie. but is it complete junk?

my last one was a Kona AA all LX components and a marazochi fork .i think it was around a $1000 years ago .

CCM 29er

6061 frame
suntour xct 80mm fork
shimano components tourney derailers.
alloy cranks / hubs ,alloy double wall rims .
radius mechanical disc brakes F+R ,never heard of them ?
29 x 2.25 tires .

What's going on with the handle bars? It looks like they're at a weird angle.

When I was a teenager I would have been very happy with that bike. If your son wants something better tell him to start saving his money and buy it himself.

thanks for all the feedback guys . the bars do look weird in the pic .the handle bars have a rise to them.

the pic just makes them look weird.

as for the brake pads they can be found looks like tectro stuff.or these

Shimano Deore M515/M525

I think it's good you're putting it together, because then you will have a better sense that it does work properly. You don't say how old/heavy the rider is or if it will be on the street or off road. Your primary concern should be safety--do the brakes work, are the critical bolts tight, will some part fatigue and break? Depending how often he rides it, you should inspect it at some frequency. You can do this with him, and when he is old enough he can then do it himself. Teach him to listen for creaks and pops and investigate whether they are safety issues. I've seen a couple of scary things over the years with "name brand" bikes.

I ran across a guy on a Novara aluminum bike complaining it was ghost shifting. He had a rather large spiral fracture on his down tube. I'm surprised he could ride it like that.

I was also riding with someone once where her front rigid fork (Trek bike) failed and the front wheel was pushed into the down tube causing her to go over the bars and fracture her back. This was about 50 ft from the car, and I was still back at the car so didn't see what happened. There was a small depression across the trail (drainage ditch) that was maybe 6" deep and 18" wide--nothing in my mind that should make a fork fail.

some good points there thanks .he his turning 14 next weekend and weighs about 120LBS he will just be riding it around the streets and the odd gravel dyke . i haven't finished going over it yet, been to busy .
but what i have checked seems to be O.K. there has been the odd loose nut .but nothing major. most of the bolts that i have had to take out has what seems to be blue locktite or some sort of thread locker compund on the threads . thanks for your reply . i don't think he will be jumping it .but i will keep an eye on the frame also . what part of the forks is prone to breaking .the leg ,crown ,etc ?

I think it's good you're putting it together, because then you will have a better sense that it does work properly. You don't say how old/heavy the rider is or if it will be on the street or off road. Your primary concern should be safety--do the brakes work, are the critical bolts tight, will some part fatigue and break? Depending how often he rides it, you should inspect it at some frequency. You can do this with him, and when he is old enough he can then do it himself. Teach him to listen for creaks and pops and investigate whether they are safety issues. I've seen a couple of scary things over the years with "name brand" bikes.

I ran across a guy on a Novara aluminum bike complaining it was ghost shifting. He had a rather large spiral fracture on his down tube. I'm surprised he could ride it like that.

I was also riding with someone once where her front rigid fork (Trek bike) failed and the front wheel was pushed into the down tube causing her to go over the bars and fracture her back. This was about 50 ft from the car, and I was still back at the car so didn't see what happened. There was a small depression across the trail (drainage ditch) that was maybe 6" deep and 18" wide--nothing in my mind that should make a fork fail.

Last edited:
On the failure I witnessed, the fork didn't break in two, but the steering tube or fork blades bent towards the rear of the bike such that the front wheel hit the down tube on the main triangle. Suspension fork transfer the loads differently from rigid forks, especially if it never bottoms out. But of course it's all about the particular fork materials, design, etc.

My intention is not to freak you out. Bicycles are for the most part very reliable. Just make sure your son has some awareness that if the bike is riding funny, to check it out.

road the bike around today myself . the steering is a bit weird if he complains i may need to get different bars . the bike also feels different having these 29 inch tires /wheels on it .

otherwise everything seemed to work . shifters work .not like the high end stuff tho .
brakes work . fork is a bit soggy even with it cranked right up .but he likes it .
this model fork can be had with a lockout . but this one didn't come with that feature.

Great starter bike for the kid. If he shows interest in more MTB rated trails or racing then you can work out a better bike for him then.

some good points there thanks .he his turning 14 next weekend and weighs about 120LBS he will just be riding it around the streets and the odd gravel dyke . i haven't finished going over it yet, been to busy .
but what i have checked seems to be O.K. there has been the odd loose nut .but nothing major. most of the bolts that i have had to take out has what seems to be blue locktite or some sort of thread locker compund on the threads . thanks for your reply . i don't think he will be jumping it .but i will keep an eye on the frame also . what part of the forks is prone to breaking .the leg ,crown ,etc ?

Think again :lol:

that's a sharp looking bike. as others have noted, everything on it is low end but that mostly means it is heavy, not necessarily that it is prone to break. i have a k2 bike that is similarly equipped that i got used and keep for houseguests so they have something to ride. it is a simple solid bike and the only complaint i have about it is that the mechanical disc brakes need so much force that they stretch the cables and so need adjusting a lot. i have been thinking it might just be cheap nasty cables so i am going to switch them out.

the suntour xct front fork is on the k2 also and is a basic coil shock used by most bike companies for their entry level bikes. the frames on most bikes are made in taiwan or china in just a couple of factories so i would not worry about that either. i am sure it was built by precision robot welders.

unless your kid is riding steep trails where he is bottoming out the fork and riding those brakes, i would not worry about the bike other than checking that it was put together properly and making sure the brake cables are properly adjusted.

and you made the right call getting a hard tail instead of a low end full suspension bike with a rear shock. the cheap full shock bikes are super heavy and so pretty much useless for riding any trails where you need a full suspension.

Inferior to what? A Giant Anthem? Sure, but that bike is fine for 300$.

I don't know about that. I have a kid in the neighborhood with a similar bike and on a recent tour of the neighborhood, the crank fell right off. The brakes are also crap and would keep a very close eye on it. I have a 93 Specialized Rockhopper I picked up for $40 that I'd trust more.

thanks for all the feedback . the bike will work fine for its use . i actually find myself riding it more than my son

as for things falling off i'm not to worried about that .i keep all my equipment well maintained ,nothings going to fall off and the brakes work fine .

i have been looking at cheap bikes all over the place here in vancouver Canada since i bought this one and anything similiar to this one sells in the $350 -$420 range with the 26 inch wheel nothing to be found in the 29 inch wheel.
at a nice bike shop the best deal i found was on a kona .
$600 still had cheap components on it ,but it did have hydrolic disc brakes and a better fork .
the kona was i'm sure the better bike . but like i said before my kid didn't need one that fancy because he most likely wouldn't take care of it properly and or get it stolen .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom