Ratcheting Rear Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my '78 '40 has a ratcheting rear locker. I'm familiar with an air locker, but not ratcheting. Can someone explain to me how a ratcheting locker operates?

Pin_Head said:
Here is another description of how they work.

http://members.cox.net/golddebra/Photos/LockerOperation.pdf

Manufacturers don't like to tell you about the negative aspects of their operation because they are selling you on them.

So it seems to me, upon looking at this, that a ratcheting differential will wear out pretty quickly. That's a lot of grinding action and looks like the teeth wouldn't hold up to a lot of abuse. By contrast, is there a similar description of an air locker so that operations of both can be compared?

I would like to know whether to maintain the ratcheting or switch out for air locking.

Also, this begs the question of whether the OEM locking rear differential in my Tacoma is the ratcheting variety. I've had it engaged but I don't recall hearing the telltale noise. It's obviously not an air locker, but are these two the only varieties?

The teeth are hardened and there isn't much force on them when ratcheting, so they really don't wear much.

Air lockers and Toyota electric lockers are very different than automatic lockers. They are selectable spools; when on they physically lock the two axle shafts together until they are turned off.

Wear is not a concern. I have put over 75K on one and it looked like new when I had it out.

Over powering then with lots of power, gears and tires is...

and if you are sloppy and install them loose they will die QUICK. I got sloppy and threw one in and got the clearances wrong. With a 350, 5.29s and 40 inch Boggers... it died within 50 miles of trail use. :(

(They do not really ratchet BTW... just soubd kinda like they do.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom