Bob's roof rack thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Figured I'd start this to motivate me.

My 60 (Bob) is getting a Mombassa roof top tent soon and I need to build a sturdy platform for it. The rack is going to be mostly flat, with a slight raised portion in the front to accommodate either fuel cans or sleeping bags or a cooler.

Because Bob has been shortened, A standard 60 roof rack will be too long. Standard dimensions will be 75-in long by 50-in wide. The Mombassa is approximately 50 x 47 closed, so a 2' long front section works out perfectly.

Materials will be 1" diameter, 0.63 wall ERW round tubing with approximately 10-in between spreader bars.

I am still figuring out what to use for gutter clamps. I do have a Tule rack, and will probably just attach the rack to the Tule for now.

I really like the old fashioned Confer feet, but those darn things are pricy..
JCR makes some nice ones that I will probably use.
Jeep Cherokee XJ Roof Rack Mounts: JcrOffroad, Inc.

These may be an option as well.
Rain Gutter Mount by Kargo Master

And I have always liked these.
Quick-N-Easy Car Top Racks - Set

Honestly, I think if the jeep ones fit well, I'll probably go that route.

Between the 3 above, I'd choose the JCRoffroad ones last, as they are the narrowest. Narrow of course translating to more pressure on the gutter.

Out of the three you posted I actually like the JCR ones the most.

Cheap and very, very simple.

What do you put through that hole? Just a bar of somesort?

I know nothing about roof racks haha.

I do have a canoe I'd like to use this summer though...

I have the quick-n-easys as I got a bunch, used, for a deal. They do stick up a bit above the roof, if that's an issue.

porterweecamerapics007.jpg

porterweecamerapics010.jpg

Sounds good Mace, I too will be building a new roofrack for my 55 soon. I like those heep ones as well, simple and rugged(prob the strongest thing on a heep lol) I have also thought about doing captive nuts and scab plates on the inside as I still have the headliner out...

My RTT is usually on my trailer but would like the option of throwing it on the 55 as well, the front of mine will be raised as well

Between the 3 above, I'd choose the JCRoffroad ones last, as they are the narrowest. Narrow of course translating to more pressure on the gutter.

Well, I am going to do 6 mounts. So I am not really concerned about stressing the gutter that badly. Cruiser gutters are pretty strong as well.

What do you put through that hole? Just a bar of somesort?

Its just a go fast hole to look cool ;)

Canoes are awesome on 60's.

I have the quick-n-easys as I got a bunch, used, for a deal. They do stick up a bit above the roof, if that's an issue.

They actually make two different varieties of quick n easy's. A 4" tall one and a 6" tall one. It looks like you have the 6" tall ones.

Those are essentially the old conferr design. Really awesome, but $180 bucks for six clamps is over budget :)

Ya know, Mace, Mark Algazy sells some HD ones he has made, and I think they're based on the confer design, for around $25, *I think* ... They're not on his website... Call him.

Or search in classifieds - I think he listed them once.

I found it:

rackclamp.jpg

The pic does not do the above justice. These are BEEFY! Very strong gutter clamps. A bargain at twice the price. :clap:

Ya know, Mace, Mark Algazy sells some HD ones he has made, and I think they're based on the confer design, for around $25, *I think* ... They're not on his website... Call him.

Or search in classifieds - I think he listed them once.

I found it:

rackclamp.jpg

Do you have his web site?

Absolutely, those are super beefy, but also 6" tall (taller that I need for a 60) and $170 for a set of 6.

Yes, waaay beeeefy. And he's sold a bunch to some folks going into the roof rack business. Mark just doesn't advertise his goods, much, so people don't know about his little treasures.

$150 for 6 + shipping ... Yes, they are tall.

marksoffroad.net -- but better to call him 818-953-9230 1-6pm M-F ... He not an email kinda guy.

calling mark is typically the best route

Based on the patina, I suspect those are the stock Confer brackets from back in the day.

Not a huge difference because that is what he patterned his after but...

Yeah, you may be right -- I thought he put that rack on after he got the rig, but :meh:

Anyway, peoples get the idea :) And he's better at making rack feet than he is at uploading pictures to mud :D:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom